Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 04-12-2005, 10:51 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

And with that, Cis makes her 1000th post

I agree that there could be a crapload of things we could do with this site to make it more intuitive to newcomers. But I think the first thing we can do to attract them is... get a set of server code up that they can even PLAY on. I'm sure if a count were being kept, we've probably turned away over 100 would-be players because they don't have the client we're using.

Any major additions to the website like the mediawiki software you're proposing would require all the admins including our "2 active devs" getting together to decide the how, whats, whens and whys -- and that would take precious time away from their efforts to go live compatible and solve problem #1.
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:02 PM
Ghost Fire
Sarnak

Talking

Ok I'm new :mrgreen: I love the way the site is set up. I found most of the bugs that I was having to get the emulator to work and fixed it. Seach is such a great tool Great Emulator!!! Devs keep up the wonderful work.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:02 PM
yyewman
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfedia
I agree with Khan, since 03/23/2005 (it is 04/12/2005), no devs answer to this... And newb ask same and same question, because don't have just one index page site up to date...
Kelly Flock, ex-CEO for VI before Sony bought'em out, he stepped down sometime a year after he made this quote..........

"When asked if he takes into account consumer input Flock is dismissive, relying instead on the expertise of his staff. 'No, we never talk to consumers - they just f--- us up. Someone asked for a copy of our market research which made us take the decision to do EverQuest. I said we hadn't done any market research. Had we done, the game would never have been made. We never focus on them. Gamers don't know what they want. We just want to know if they have a valid credit card."

It appears even Blizzard who created WoW is doing the same thing now, a editorial on this is found here....

http://archive.gamespy.com/mmog/stra...01/stratics15/

I agree as I am seeing the same thing happening now with the nerfs in WoW.

I quit after all the nerfs took place, WoW is no longer fun anymore.

Yiz
Old 04-27-2005, 05:41 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

Wow, talk about a blast from the past. I remember reading about Flock on Lum (Lum the Mad's site for the newbies). I thought someone had said that Sony had placed him there after the buyout, and that he was never happy there. Rumor had it that he had a reputation for dressing down SOE employees in front of everyone and generally being rude and overbearing (and refusing to let problems become known to any of his superiors--preventing them from being fixed). I remember reading on Lum that things got *really* ugly at SOE for a while as a result. I don't know how true any of this is, though...the people reporting at the time said they had a mole at SOE, but I recommend taking it with a grain of salt.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:44 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

I presume that he has since then been summarily dismissed...??
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:06 AM
fathernitwit
Developer

Hey,

I have a great idea.
We should have a Wiki for eqemu, to replace all the crap in the tutorial section.

Anyhow, Doodman and I finally decided we wanted to make this happen. I need to hear suggestions and serious pros/cons of wiki software, and I will get this rolling. Due to the ammount of children we have running around eqemu, security is a major consideration, as well as history keeping. If some 10 year old fuckwad that thinks hes a hacker comes along and deletes shit, we need to be able to revert it easily. I would expecially like something which allows people to subscribe to all or part of the wiki for changes so we get notified when things are changed.

Also, I would like something with reasonable markup or a good editor, cause wikimedia's markup and editor blow.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:45 AM
Belfedia
Demi-God

Yeahhh i'm happy to ear that, fathernitwith
Khan ? where are you ? we need you :p
http://eqfroggy.new.fr : Froggy French Server Website.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:35 PM
KhaN
Dragon

Quote:
Thread created : 03-23-2005, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Today : Yeahhh i'm happy to ear that, fathernitwith
Khan ? where are you ? we need you
Like always, EQEmu is months late, i have no more interest in anything related to EQEmu atm, two months ago, yes, i would have take time to setup an EQEmu wiki, well, i already started to make one, registered a host and such, but it never came out because no one was having interest in what "non-dev" can do to help EQemu with.

Im still having an eye on EQEmu and will prolly still works on OZ from time to time, but other than this, dont count a lot on KhaN ;p Maybe i'll continu what i started if one day an stable DR version come out, but looking EQEmu is broke again, i'll consider EQEmu dead since no DR version was released in the past 6 months

Last edited by KhaN; 05-16-2005 at 10:40 PM..
Old 05-17-2005, 10:11 AM
Cailin
Sarnak

May I be the first to suggest an alternative to MediaWiki: http://wikka.jsnx.com/HomePage

It's called... Wikka Wiki, and it seems to fit just about everything that you want the wiki to do. Security is available et all. Don't know about the editing part of it, though, it seems to use standard Wiki notation, which is all a bunch of garblegook anyways. But it's easy to pick up on, I promise