Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Support > Archive::Windows Servers

Archive::Windows Servers Archive area for Windows Servers's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 01-21-2002, 09:37 AM
Shawn319
Demi-God

With new (or luclin) client it always looks for eqmain.dll now. no way around it.

So the only way to do everything locally now is to get a loginserver.

There may be a local version of the loginserver released in the next few years so keep your eyes open

(Retired)EQEmu Lead Tester
(Retired)EQEmu Tech Support

(Retired)Host/ServerOP - [LIVE] Official EQEmu Test Server
(Retired)Host/ServerOP - Shawn319's All-GM Dev Test Server
(Retired)ServerOP - EQEmu Beta Server
(Retired)ServerOP - GuildWars Server
(Retired)ServerOP - Raid Addicts
--------------------------
Old 01-21-2002, 09:41 AM
Zeitgeist
Discordant

well amusingly those of us with setups like mine and borgs have had little luck with getting in through the gotfrags ls... ugh...
Old 01-21-2002, 09:48 AM
n00b8472
Sarnak

Oh joy joy!

Why in the name of @#"
Old 01-21-2002, 10:33 AM
devn00b
Demi-God

Screw login server for local use...i want one i can admin myself!
one that i dont have to deal with other players entering my little server for friends. and deal with peeps comming in and having to kick them every few mins. or dealing with my friends entering the wrong server.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" Club
Most Senior EQEMu Member.

Current Work: EverQuest 2 Emulator. Zeklabs Server
Old 01-21-2002, 10:54 AM
madborg
Banned

Default hold on hold on

I admit I am temporarily stumped, but there is no reason to overspeculate and get agitated. THERE IS A SOLUTION to the login issue of 0.2.0

Point 1: don't delete egamain.dll or anything like that. It won't get you anywhere.

Point 2: you can use either eqw 2.2 or egame patchme, so you are not restricted.

***added***
I can now run a server just fine going to the login server; scares me a bit on how I am able to get a private server connected to the Internet, but in some ways it's sort of a freebie.

Point 3: the login server route as it is currently done, will get your through the login process and on SOME server. It just may not be yours because if you are like me you are behind a firewall, or you don't have public access to your machine.

Point 4: mucking around with eqhost.txt is not going to solve Point3.

Fact is the current setup works for some people and not for others. Shawn mentions the thing about the name/password and I am going to explore that some more. Otherwise, I may go and actually play EQ this afternoon and wait for a solution later this week.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:23 AM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

I've been trying to connect locally as well, but I've had no luck so far.

And I do NOT have Luclin.

Deleting the DLL file causes the dialog to come up normally. I put in my info, and I can get to the character select screen. But the framerate when using EQW 2.2 is REALLY REALLY SLOOOOW, and EQW 2.1 crashes. If I run normally (no EQW), the framerate is fine.

When I select my character, it goes to the splash screen as if it is entering the world, but nothing happens. After a couple of minutes the client quits.

I've verified the following:

- I'm using the newest client (I patched just a little while ago)
- my db.ini is set correctly (I do write the admin tool, of course; I'm familiar with this step)
- I've renamed loginserver.ini to something else so I can connect locally, as I always do
- I've imported ONLY the accounts and characters tables from my 0.1.9 DB to my 0.2.0 DB, and I've updated the account status values to the new numbers in 0.2.0.
- none of my characters are carrying any equipment that isn't in the database (assuming that the DB contains the same items that it contained in 0.1.9)

So my conclusion is that there is a problem that goes beyond having SoL installed.

Windcatcher
Old 01-21-2002, 11:43 AM
madborg
Banned

I got it. I will post a separate thread on how to get things set up including creating a GM accounts. Several people had the words but it wasn't laid out in a step-by-step pattern.

see my new thread to come very soon.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:46 AM
Zeitgeist
Discordant

ok ok interesting --- this is the only way ive been able to login so far---

sample line from boot5zones:

start zone . 192.168.1.101 9001 localhost

db.ini:
host=localhost

loginserver.ini:
worldaddress=192.168.1.101

192.168.x is my LAN IP for the World Server. Dunno if anyone can get to me from outside, though I tend to doubt it. Interesting point, the db was being ornery, had to open fqadmin and hit commit twice to get it opened for writes as i couldn't think of the mysql line to use for that... anyhow... more testing...
Old 01-21-2002, 12:13 PM
madborg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist
ok ok interesting --- this is the only way ive been able to login so far---
Are you trying to bypass the login server or are you describing a method that you found to get access to your server through the login server?

I was sort of expecting problems from the db, but somehow I was able to avoid it -- maybe it was something that the login server did to the db.

**added**

here is the link for how to get set up using the login server; it seems like a lot of steps but I believe is is fairly bullet-proof.

http://forums.eqemu.net/showthread.php?threadid=52
Old 01-21-2002, 12:25 PM
darvik
Fire Beetle

The problem still remains that for those of us that dont want to post our private information to every Tom, Dick and Suzy out there, we need to have our own login server.

The login server that is on gotfrags.com is a *great* idea .. for those people that *want* public servers and to share their world with everyone else.. But it leaves the rest of us with our hands tied.

All I'm saying is that this is an area that should be getting some attention.

And, my original issue still stands - login server keeps telling me bad username/password. Has anyone tried creating a new gotfrags.com account and logging in with it? This is my issue - I think gotfrags.com is fucked up and not allowing new usernames to be created or something. Who is running that server anyway?
Old 01-21-2002, 12:36 PM
jase102
Fire Beetle

I'm also having problems, not quite like darvik's but like many other people..the not logging into server after character select issue.
I like many others do not want to log on to anywhere in any shape way or form to play this emu.

Many thanks to the coders for this excellent emulator btw..hope you can fix these issues for us.
-J-
Old 01-21-2002, 12:40 PM
madborg
Banned

and I guess the good news is that I found a security hole in my network. If it turns out I have a hole, then the posting about setting up 0.2.0 will only work for the systems that are accessible from the outside.

turned off any external access on my system and somehow I still get access to my server by going to the login server. Maybe a network person can explain to me how this is possible.
Old 01-21-2002, 04:06 PM
n00b8472
Sarnak

Well I just registered a 2nd user account for my other machine, and well.. Login server won't acknowledge the existence of such an account at all..

Error: bad username/password

wtf?!
Old 01-21-2002, 08:05 PM
madborg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b8472
Well I just registered a 2nd user account for my other machine, and well.. Login server won't acknowledge the existence of such an account at all..

Error: bad username/password

wtf?!
I get dizzy too trying to figure this out. But when you log into the login server you must use your login user and password. For example, we all have eqemu/eqemu in our database. But you can't login with that user. You would have to have a second account on frags.
Old 01-21-2002, 08:19 PM
n00b8472
Sarnak

That's what I meant.. I registered a 2nd account on gotfrags and it wouldn't work.. Apparently the gotfrags server is a little slow on the updates, because when I tried it again 10 minutes later, it worked fine.. go figure