Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Old 09-09-2008, 05:15 AM
trevius
Developer

Using the means that Derison uses to find Opcodes in Titanium that are known in the 6.2 client, I don't think getting a newer version of EQ working for the emulator would be all too bad. At least not if we broke the work up into separate parts and had multiple people all working on different parts at the same time. I imagine a decent wiki page for doing what he does and a little practice, we could have at least a few regulars on the forums to help get it done in a fair amount of time.

I think the main problem is that we would probably need to find a version of EQ that is easily attainable. IMO, we have passed the point where Anniversary is a viable option, since it is about as hard to find as Titanium is. At this point, we would be best to wait until the next expansion (which is hopefully an all inclusive deal like Titanium or Anniversary) to come out. And ultimately it would be best if we could get some packet collects from live to help speed the process and to collect info on any new features that aren't in the current Emu code. But, for that to happen, we would need a good packet collector program ready by the time of the next EQ release.

I imagine it probably won't be too long before the next EQLive expansion, but I haven't heard anything about an upcoming one yet. If we do get wind that a new expansion is coming out, it might be nice to know early so we can maybe try to make some preparations to get ready for it. If we had to, I think we could just use wireshark for packet collects now and then make a tool to sort through and find the useful info from those collect afterwards.

I think the main thing is that we need a version of EQ that is easily attainable and hopefully can be bought in a store.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Congdar
Developer

The next Live expansion is due at the end of October and will have Bots and is all inclusive with the 14 expansions.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:47 AM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

umm there is plenty of Aniversary boxes left to go around.
they prabobly like $5 more than Titanium, but well worth it consiring all the extra content you get just counting new zones and new models

and new "all expansion" box will prabobly have a starting price of like $45
Old 09-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Andrew80k
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayer View Post
umm there is plenty of Aniversary boxes left to go around.
they prabobly like $5 more than Titanium, but well worth it consiring all the extra content you get just counting new zones and new models

and new "all expansion" box will prabobly have a starting price of like $45
They've been running around $30 dollars, but have been download only which means, of course, patched. So these are not really viable options unless we can get a good way of patching the server to the live client quickly and easily. Not impossible, but we are certainly not to that point yet.

There really aren't that many new features past titanium that are of too much interest at this point. Mostly it's just content. We really need the packet capture tool working again so we can easily capture the content and update the databases without all the folks going to herculean efforts to make it happen.

As always, IMHO.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:18 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

mmm at $15, not new but its a boxed version - so no pathign problem

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...U/ref=dp_olp_2

well content actualy far outweights the "features"
features you all need to code in emulator - and you knwo how logn that takes.
content - more zone for people to look at, and of course new models for mobs and weapons =)

not to mention new race (ugly imho, but their armor sets are nice)
Old 09-09-2008, 06:39 PM
trevius
Developer

Chaos, you have to consider that potentially hundreds or maybe even thousands of people would need to have access to get the correct retail CDs. With used being one of the only options for Anniversary, I think the numbers would be far too limited, which is why I have completely given up on Anniversary Edition as being a viable option at this point. I will definitely be researching the new expansion pack that Congdar mentioned

Oh, and I just have to LOL if EQLive added Bots to the next expansion! I can only imagine that they got the idea from the emulator and maybe even used some of the code for it lol. If SoE was smart, they would use EQ as an experiment and actually make running your own server an option. Am I the only one who thinks that SoE could make insane amounts of cash if they allowed custom servers? All they would need to do is make the client so it can only connect to their login server and then just let people connect their own servers up to it similar to Neverwinter Nights custom servers. Hell, they could even still charge a reduced monthly fee of maybe 5$ a month and I am sure they would get an amazing amount of players back. I really hate to see an MMO die and EQLive definitely isn't increasing it's player numbers anymore. IMO, there is no excuse not to take a small risk and see if they can make a huge change to the MMO industry. I already even have most of the details worked out for exactly how they could set a system like this up. They could either have people host their own servers like we do in the emulator, or even better would be if SoE hosted them for us and let the server admins manage their "own" servers.

I wrote this a while back (and I was very careful to not even hint about the EQEmulator):
http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/po...opic_id=130077

But it seems like most people there think it is a bad idea. But, I think they just don't understand how cool it really could be. Ahh well lol.

Last edited by trevius; 09-10-2008 at 02:49 AM..
Old 09-09-2008, 06:42 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

well I am all for the "new" expansion pack - as long as it works =)

soe has been known to release some expansion that were 100% do not work right out of the box - Luclin for exmaple was uterly broken
Old 09-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Congdar
Developer

I vote for Sony releasing the Everquest code when they stop developing for it. Would be interesting to see how close the emulator code is and what goodness could be combined from the two source trees.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:49 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congdar View Post
I vote for Sony releasing the Everquest code when they stop developing for it. Would be interesting to see how close the emulator code is and what goodness could be combined from the two source trees.
a soe president would rather hang himself that to give anything out for free =)
Old 09-12-2008, 10:56 AM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
I think I have a simple change to the scribespells and new traindiscs quest commands that should get them working as I think most people would want them to be. These changes add an argument to the commands so that a level can be defined in the command in case the admin wants to restrict the spell/disc levels that are automatically scribed.

I think this should work for both of them, but I haven't tried it yet. I will give it a try and report back with if it works or not.

questmgr.cpp
Code:
void QuestManager::scribespells(int spell_level) {
 	//Cofruben:-Scribe spells for user up to his actual level.
	int16 book_slot;
	int16 curspell;
	for(curspell = 0, book_slot = 0; curspell < SPDAT_RECORDS && book_slot < MAX_PP_SPELLBOOK; curspell++)
	{
	   if
	   (
		  spells[curspell].classes[WARRIOR] != 0 &&
		  spells[curspell].classes[initiator->GetPP().class_-1] <= spell_level &&
		  spells[curspell].skill != 52
	   )
	   {
		  initiator->ScribeSpell(curspell, book_slot++);
	   }
	}
}

void QuestManager::traindiscs(int disc_level) {
 	//Trevius: Train Disc for user up to their actual level.
	int16 book_slot;
	int16 curspell;
	for(curspell = 0, book_slot = 0; curspell < SPDAT_RECORDS && book_slot < MAX_PP_SPELLBOOK; curspell++)
	{
	   if
	   (
		  spells[curspell].classes[WARRIOR] != 0 &&
		  spells[curspell].classes[initiator->GetPP().class_-1] <= disc_level &&
		  spells[curspell].skill != 52
	   )
		{

if(IsDiscipline(curspell)){
				for(int r = 0; r < MAX_PP_DISCIPLINES; r++) {
					if(initiator->GetPP().disciplines.values[r] == curspell) {
						initiator->Message(13, "You already know this discipline.");
						r = MAX_PP_DISCIPLINES;
					} else if(initiator->GetPP().disciplines.values[r] == 0) {
						initiator->GetPP().disciplines.values[r] = curspell;
						initiator->SendDisciplineUpdate();
						initiator->Message(0, "You have learned a new discipline!");
						r = MAX_PP_DISCIPLINES;
					}
				}
			}
	   	}
	}
}
questmgr.h
Code:
	void scribespells(int spell_level);

void traindiscs(int disc_level);
perlparser.cpp
Code:
XS(XS__scribespells);
XS(XS__scribespells)
{
	dXSARGS;
	if (items != 1)
		Perl_croak(aTHX_ "Usage: scribespells(spell_level)");

int	spell_level = (int)SvIV(ST(0));

quest_manager.scribespells(spell_level);

XSRETURN_EMPTY;
}

XS(XS__traindiscs);
XS(XS__traindiscs)
{
	dXSARGS;
	if (items != 1)
		Perl_croak(aTHX_ "Usage: traindiscs(disc_level)");

int	disc_level = (int)SvIV(ST(0));

quest_manager.traindiscs(disc_level);

XSRETURN_EMPTY;
}

newXS(strcpy(buf, "scribespells"), XS__scribespells, file);

newXS(strcpy(buf, "traindiscs"), XS__traindiscs, file);
parser.cpp
Code:
	else if (!strcmp(command,"scribespells")) {
		quest_manager.scribespells(atoi(arglist[0]));
	}
	else if (!strcmp(command,"traindiscs")) {
		quest_manager.traindiscs(atoi(arglist[0]));
	}

These changes would require that any server using them has to change their spell scriber quests a little. This is only a minor change and should be easy for almost every server, since most only have 1 or a few spell scribers. For anyone who wants this to work as it currently does, they can simply use this in the place of the current command:

Code:
quest::scribespells($ulevel);

#OR

quest::traindiscs($ulevel);
But the nice thing about this feature is that spell scribing can be limited with it. So, maybe you want your players to be able to scribe all of their spells up to level 50 to make leveling easier, but you want them to actually collect and manually scribe all spells over level 50. You can do that easily with this. I am already coming up with some neat ideas to make using a spell sciber more interesting with this new feature. Maybe adding a spell scriber at the end of a dungeon so players have to clear to it to get their higher level spells. Or, maybe scribing higher level spells after a quest is completed. It really opens up some cool options and brings some of the fun back into getting new spells without necessarily bringing the horrid job of having to research on the web about each spell and find them or buy them all.

I will test this out and report back if it works as intended. But, as far as I can tell, this looks like good code to me.

KLS, I stickied this so you don't forget to add them into the next source update. If there are reasons not to add them, feel free to just unsticky. But, IMO, these seem like pretty good code additions/changes.