Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 09-24-2005, 01:26 AM
Sakrateri
Dragon

So, If they they tell me to "buy" thier software and to "purchase" thier expansions and I do and then find out that I have not either "bought " nor "purchased" anything more then a license to use said product then would this not be a clear cut case of False Advertising? which by the way is against the law in America. Now if they had a statement on the package that I could read BEFORE "purchasing" it stating that I was NOT in fact "buying" anything more then a license to use the product then this would not be true but since I have got to "purchase" the product before I found out I have not "purchased" anything in reality then I sense a possible False Advertising lawsuit somewhere in this mix. Kind of like if I gave $18,000 for a new car and got home and opened the glove box and there was a note in there saying " By accepting the key and inserting it in the ignition I accept the fact that I am only leasing this car from a dealer who can tell me at anytime what I am allowed to do with said car and where I am allowed to go with said car and that I also accept the fact there is no way I can get my money back" Well , its kinda late after I allready gave my cash and drove off with the car before I find the note to do anything about it. Yep , we are all suckers . and there is a new one born every minute !

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 09-24-2005, 03:59 AM
solid11
Discordant

So if I understand this right, once I do not want to play anymore, I'm required to return the discs I bought to Sony?.....

They probably didn't really want us to have those files on those CD's we BOUGHT and would like them back. Anyone have a mailing address?

I mean, we don't really own those CD's, we just paid 29.99 for an invisible account key and that was it. I think we should all send back the CD's else some irate religious group might get their hands on it.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:21 PM
sdabbs65
Dragon

Default hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by solid11
So if I understand this right, once I do not want to play anymore, I'm required to return the discs I bought to Sony?.....

They probably didn't really want us to have those files on those CD's we BOUGHT and would like them back. Anyone have a mailing address?

I mean, we don't really own those CD's, we just paid 29.99 for an invisible account key and that was it. I think we should all send back the CD's else some irate religious group might get their hands on it.
Some things are not what they seem.
you actually leased the game and never really owned the game.
and also agree to sell you soul when you click yes to the EULA.
the disc are just to charge you 50 bucks more to borrow there software.
under there terms and conditions.

www.cheaterz.info
Old 09-26-2005, 04:44 AM
thorndruid
Fire Beetle

Default liscencing

I think the idea of liscencing means like getting a liscence for driving a car. You can drive a car, but by accepting the license you accept the rules that go along with it..Stopping at lights and stop signs, signalling etc. You can break those rules but if your caught u can have your liscence taken away and you can't drive. Every piece of software has a liscence even open source and freeware. I may have used lease a little to literally..because with a lease, it expires and you can renew and keep the land/car etc or return it to the dealer. What i see is you own the cds that you buy from sony but liscence the software that is on them. Sony doesn't care who's cd you use to install eq, as long as you have your liscence key. By entering your liscence key and hitting i agree on live you are bound by their rules and regulations. Its just like borrowing a friends car, and he has a set of rules on how to run his car, you dissobey those rules and he gets very pissed if you screw his car up. This whole arguement is based on laws and regulations I am not toally familiar with, and it seems everything is in the grey area, all i know is sony has the clout to what they want. I think scorps site was tageted because (no offence to scorp), the he had donations and a online store with shirts and caps, and sony thought he was making a profit from their product. I don't think they cared about the server. As mattmeck said they just sent the warning for the website. (Unless things have changed?)
Old 09-28-2005, 08:29 AM
Firedancer
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpious2k
I would be willing to sell the server....

200+ populated zones
custom zones
player accounts
player characters
custom items
custom code (including the source)
quests
custom spells

wonder what it would be worth....
I aquired the server this week and it is up as Dedicated Server in test phase. It should be live by this weekend. (ETA October 2nd or so at the latest with Scorp database and S2k brought down).

http://eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19462 - Read about it here.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:37 PM
sdabbs65
Dragon

Default server..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedancer
I aquired the server this week and it is up as Dedicated Server in test phase. It should be live by this weekend. (ETA October 2nd or so at the latest with Scorp database and S2k brought down).

http://eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19462 - Read about it here.
Yeah so did I ....
I didnt want his players tho you can have them...
only thing is he never gave me the source I paid for and expects me to beg for the rest...notgoing to happen.
I had 15 other people that wanted his server
sitting in IRC one night.
so he lost out cuz I sold them the 6.0 package that I have with
250 zones populated.
more Quest.
and his custom zones.
I was going to give him some of the sales but he screwed me out of the source. so I said screw it and kept them for myself.
My players bought it...Did yours ? I bet not.

www.cheaterz.info
Old 09-28-2005, 03:59 PM
Woodlife Treestrider
Banned

"3. "Do not reverse-engineer this product."
Some EULA terms harm people who want to customize their technology, as well as inventors who want to create new products that work with the technology they've bought. "Reverse-engineering," which is often forbidden in EULAs, is a term for taking a machine or piece of software apart in order to see how it works. This kind of tinkering is explicitly permitted by federal law
Old 09-28-2005, 04:53 PM
Firedancer
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdabbs65
Yeah so did I ....
I didnt want his players tho you can have them...
only thing is he never gave me the source I paid for and expects me to beg for the rest...notgoing to happen.
I had 15 other people that wanted his server
sitting in IRC one night.
so he lost out cuz I sold them the 6.0 package that I have with
250 zones populated.
more Quest.
and his custom zones.
I was going to give him some of the sales but he screwed me out of the source. so I said screw it and kept them for myself.
My players bought it...Did yours ? I bet not.
If you talk to scorpious he is not holding back the source from anyone as far as I know. If you just ask he will most likely not leave you with a database and something you cant customize. That was never the plan as far as I know. Sounds like a misunderstanding that you obviously dont have patience for. Sorry to hear you feel you got a bad deal. But if you have chosen to jump to flaming scorpious he may not be too happy you are trying to make him look bad here.

Its not my fight though. I wish you the best.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:12 AM
sdabbs65
Dragon

Default no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedancer
If you talk to scorpious he is not holding back the source from anyone as far as I know. If you just ask he will most likely not leave you with a database and something you cant customize. That was never the plan as far as I know. Sounds like a misunderstanding that you obviously dont have patience for. Sorry to hear you feel you got a bad deal. But if you have chosen to jump to flaming scorpious he may not be too happy you are trying to make him look bad here.

Its not my fight though. I wish you the best.
I'm not wanting to flame anyone as that was not my intention.
He did come back 5 days later with the rest of the package so maybe it was just him being slow to get it all pack up for distro.
If it sounded like a flame I apologize to Scorp .

www.cheaterz.info

Last edited by sdabbs65; 09-29-2005 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: added remarks
Old 10-08-2005, 03:15 PM
tsord
Fire Beetle

I simply want to point out to the previous post that the EULA does NOT violate the anti-trust clause thingy. IF everquest was the ONLY MMORPG on the market it would. However it is not, and in no way does the EULA prevent other people from making there own MMORPG program to own, mantain, and run and does therefore not attempt to monopolize the market.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:59 AM
Sakrateri
Dragon

the real funny thing about all this is Who is running the Login Server for the Servers you guys paid for from Scorp?? Last I heard Scorp was running that himself or did he also give you guys teh Login Server with that sale? If he is still running the Login then yall may want to take it easy on pissing him off as without that Login all you have is a nice single player game , Well unless you set it up lan and play with some family . LoL

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 10-10-2005, 04:45 AM
sdabbs65
Dragon

Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakrateri
the real funny thing about all this is Who is running the Login Server for the Servers you guys paid for from Scorp?? Last I heard Scorp was running that himself or did he also give you guys teh Login Server with that sale? If he is still running the Login then yall may want to take it easy on pissing him off as without that Login all you have is a nice single player game , Well unless you set it up lan and play with some family . LoL
You are Misinformed and heard wrong.

www.getaclue.net.

www.cheaterz.info

Last edited by sdabbs65; 10-10-2005 at 02:25 PM..
Old 10-10-2005, 05:10 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

This thread should really be deleted before Sony sees it.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:02 AM
_Kerosh_
Sarnak

lol.

Hey, I've been thinking a bit about this. What Sony is doing really isn't illegal is it. According to the Copyright, we are only doing something bad if we take what they do and sell it, but we are doing this all for free and such. However, it is their work. What if you made something you like and you find an organization taking your work and changing it, getting rid of customers and so on. Wouldn't you want to stop that? I think those are the terms Sony are thinking under. People might be getting threatened about losing jobs if they don't put a stop to this, so I think a lot of employees are working together to first stop the largest servers (which is why it takes them awhile before another server is shut down), and then stop the smaller servers. They can't go the the actual eqemulator, only the work produced from it. The eqemulator does not actually make the servers, the people do, and this is just a form of communication between everyone on there, so they wouldn't want to take this out. However, they are trying to take all the largest servers out. I don't even know if they will bother with smaller servers. Only servers with 100-200+ people on it are in jeopardy because those are the ones that harm sony a little bit... So if you have maybe 50 players on your server, Sony won't really bother with you. The work and effort they put into shutting down a server is too great to be bothered with those.

Perhaps we should do what EverQuest does then? Have multiple servers up for the same *server*, splitting it up into maybe groups of 20, and then perhaps have a database linking them all up that will allow people to move from server to server. Not sure how that will work, but it will make them think that they are all small servers instead of one large one? Just as long as we keep our mouthes shut about it and only discuss it in IRC or something, and we treat them like multiple servers on the forums.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:35 AM
Belfedia
Demi-God

Quote:
Perhaps we should do what EverQuest does then? Have multiple servers up for the same *server*, splitting it up into maybe groups of 20, and then perhaps have a database linking them all up that will allow people to move from server to server. Not sure how that will work, but it will make them think that they are all small servers instead of one large one? Just as long as we keep our mouthes shut about it and only discuss it in IRC or something, and we treat them like multiple servers on the forums.
I like this idea but i think it was very hard to make that :(
http://eqfroggy.new.fr : Froggy French Server Website.