Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:30 AM
shleepy
Fire Beetle

How's progress, chestbuster?

I am going to add my voice to the number of requests for a standard guild-wars server: cap at 50, virtually no expansion content (though the planes were nice when they were on GW), not a lot of working quests, and very fast level gaining. Go simplistic and don't do anything particularly complex (like paradigma's first few 6-or-so level thing) in terms of helping to gain levels - maybe just have some free no-drop items at a merchant for each group of classes for around level 30 (e.g., druid/shammy/cleric set of items that will get a player to level 50, without being TOO great).

Please don't do something weird, like what CoH is going for (a WoW rip-off type thing with 2 factions and guilds within the faction). Minimalistic, again, is the key word.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:50 AM
XebeknSZ
Sarnak

CoH is very simplistic. It's much more simplistic then GuildWars was from what I can tell. There are maybe 10 zones? 2 starting cities? Are you dense or confused? CoH is going to be awesome because someone finally realized you can't run a full on PvP server even just with old world zones. There are still too many. 10 zones is going to concentrate the PvP more and hopefully it will have enough of a population to have some intereseting fights. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Trelin
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by shleepy
How's progress, chestbuster?

I am going to add my voice to the number of requests for a standard guild-wars server: cap at 50, virtually no expansion content (though the planes were nice when they were on GW), not a lot of working quests, and very fast level gaining. Go simplistic and don't do anything particularly complex (like paradigma's first few 6-or-so level thing) in terms of helping to gain levels - maybe just have some free no-drop items at a merchant for each group of classes for around level 30 (e.g., druid/shammy/cleric set of items that will get a player to level 50, without being TOO great).

Please don't do something weird, like what CoH is going for (a WoW rip-off type thing with 2 factions and guilds within the faction). Minimalistic, again, is the key word.
So in other words you prefer FFA to Team PvP?

Just because you don't like the faction based PvP doesn't make it a rip-off.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:25 PM
shleepy
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelin
So in other words you prefer FFA to Team PvP?

Just because you don't like the faction based PvP doesn't make it a rip-off.
I won't deny that I only put "WoW rip-off" in there as an exaggeration. Faction-based PvP is an old, unoriginal concept, and WoW was certainly not the first game to implement it.

To elaborate: yes, free-for-all guild PvP is what I prefer. Why? At least partially because there won't be large enough of a player base for it to work well, in my opinion, but I guess we'll see when CoH is up.

XebeknSZ - you apparently didn't read my post and just decided to be an a-hole, nevertheless. I don't look forward to CoH for several reasons, none of which have to do with its lack of minimalism. I commend the creators of the server for doing what they're doing, but I don't think there will be ENOUGH zones, and I don't think the faction-based open-PvP thing will work at all in the way it did in the old days of GW.

Thus - what I'm saying is: why the heck won't somebody recreate a basic GW-like server, already? Territorial grab, PvP points, very fast leveling, and virtually no focus on PvE, except perhaps with the Plains and a couple dragons or something. No factions, no quests, etc. Obviously, this is just my preference, but I think this is what made GW so popular.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Trelin
Fire Beetle

I hear ya.

I am just looking forward to a good PvP server that will last for a long time and not turn stale. Such a server doesn't seem to exist in any game anywhere on the internet these days.

But I think the ones here are going to be great. Looking forward to it.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:43 PM
ToOqUiK
Fire Beetle

While simplicity may be key there is also the possibility of making a PVP server where killing Mobs is not the only way of gaining xp? this is possibly a very impossible concept but what if we could take a point system for each kill that a player gets against another player and allow them to have the choice of either applying it to leveling or applying it to gear... that would allow the dillema of well im lvl 30 and i have no gear could be solved by just killing other players like that of the Honor system on WOW.... like i said... could be difficult but good luck
Old 03-05-2007, 03:20 PM
bennyboy888
Fire Beetle

classic pvp world, ITEM LOOT, with coin prefered, no safe zones, revert all zones back, limit or eliminate no drop loot.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:49 AM
rorren
Fire Beetle

hope this works :3 ive been looking for any eqemu with atleast 200ppl, but cant find
Old 08-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Kazowi
Fire Beetle

coh pvp had a pretty succesful pvp server because it was old world zones, but only antonica was available, made pvp encounters more often and it also had two teams so it was a lot of fun. Something a long those lines would be good
Old 10-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Aahem
Fire Beetle

I have experience playing all PvP servers (with the exception of Tallon Zek) in EQ; to the maximum available level at the time played. I came out of it with a few strong opinions:
-Any expansion past Velious does not enhance PvP. The game never seemed complete without Kunark to me. Old world only is the equivalent of UO or Shadowbane, just a bunch of people fighting in a glorified arena. The PvE motivation is partly what makes EQ. The fight for zones and content.
Velious -while not as important as Kunark- also generally added to the game. But there are major problems starting with Luclin. The overpowered raid gear, safe zones, and trivialization of old content; all started in Luclin. Luclin was the begging of Gear > Skill; and the begging of "modern eq". And those cats are retarded.
-Item Loot is not necessary. Anyone who goes on and on about how important item loot was, is a retard. Item loot was just noob Darwinism; totally unneeded on 100 population (at most) emu servers. In the long run everyone was un-lootable anyway, leaving only the level 6-30 griefers (usually with a bluebie main) giving a shit. Item loot perpetuates ganking PvP. Not equil matched, or mass PvP.
Don’t get me wrong, im perfectly capible of playing item loot servers; I just think it overrated and misrepresented. Its nice to be able to use your best stuff, or take a chance rather than start bagging (I’m sure there are auto bag UIs by now anyway).
-Sullon Zek PvP has best rules. Now SZ has its faults. But the general premise was the best. You need to be able to kill green cons so you can prevent exploiting (and have an occasional laugh). And anyone who talks about frequently killing people 8 levels high is just jacking off. 5 levels is perfectly reasonable. SZ has coin loot and EXP loot, so people weren't in a hurry to die. But they didn’t care so much that they would ghost and bag and all that retarded RZ stuff. FFA should be used because of low population, however I did like the IDEA of 3 teams (and deity was much better than race).
-accelerated exp. Nothing crazy like 250% +. But it’s important to accept that people like to PvP not grind. Grind is a necessary evil (to give sense of accomplishment), not a ideal to capitalize on.

I can expand if people take issue to any of this, so I can inform them why they are wrong.

Last edited by Aahem; 10-12-2007 at 09:10 PM..