Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::General > Archive::General Discussion

Archive::General Discussion Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 12-09-2002, 07:24 AM
Artadius
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdruid
This is probably pointless to ask as this thread was hijacked a few pages ago, but does anyone know of a 4.0 server that has gone legit?

I see Winters Roar, but it's still running 3.13 according to it's records.
Winters Roar says 3.13 but does support the dec 5th patch...so it is essentially a 4.0 server...I know this because thats where I'm playing currently. Its a great legit server, and is showing some good potential. Swing by ex and we'll group up and kill some bandits

btw, I believe as of me writing this, that Wiz is updating Wintersroar to be fully 4.0 compatable in order to fix a few bugs.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:33 AM
DannMann99
Hill Giant

I would like to start work on quests in the DB, just noob ones for now,but ill see what i can do.

Dann Out~
Old 12-09-2002, 07:49 AM
DannMann99
Hill Giant

You know what i will do for the DB, ill make new recipies. Which need certain items. for blacksmithing and such, but it will take little skill. So you can "make all your items" kind of like questing sort of. i dont know. post let me know what you all thing

its like my theory of creating a ssoy by combining a "ykesha shard" and a short sword. using the blacksmith skill. Tell me what you think. I figured that its a good way to work things, and for uber items you can make blacksmith skill real high to make item
Old 12-09-2002, 08:28 AM
Aragain
Sarnak

Questing, no. Making sense, yes.

Rare armors should be few and far between, most adventurers should be found wearing cloth, leather, hide, ringmail, and maybe a few pieces of platemail. Guards and people who have a meaning in society, which does exclude adventurers if you think about it, would be wearing either cloth, merchant tradesfolk, or platemail, guards and nobles. Much was the way of our own world. Course armies were always supplied with a diversity of armor.

I dont think that making armor should be so simple, or making GOOD armor should be so simple. Tailors would probably be more popular among the lesser folk, and smiths more popular among the rich, and noble ones.

I think different animals should drop different hides, able to make better or worse armor. There should never be regular "leather armor". Hair or silk should make cloth, hide should make leather, ore should make, well metal armor.

Then there would be soandso many stages in between turning the raw material into something useful. Ore into ingots, into whatever. If you catch my meaning.

Then again, this may only apply to strong player based tradeskill economy servers, where a Rat Skin Hide Tunic would make a lowbie adventurer well kept for the time being.

In other words, it could get real complicated. How to get most of the material is pretty easy. A bear could drop a bear pelt, when you skin that pelt you get the hide, and hair. The hair can be thrown away, or used to sew. The hide can thrown away, or refined and used to make armor.

Ore on the other hand, could be a problem. Maybe there is a way to code it in... make a mob that looks like a rock for instance, when you attack it with a pick, you have a chance of recieving the mineral it would supply you with. This may be possible, kind of like a pickpotting skill, for a miner unto a rock. If that at all makes sense.

Gemcutters would pay miners to find rare crystals(Crystal caverns comes to mind), that could only be found in one place, or hides of unimaginable strength, could be found on only one beast(dragons =P).

Just some thought, if not too much.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:42 AM
DannMann99
Hill Giant

It IS a good idea, but it is also a VERY HARD idea. Its a tough time working just what im trying to do in.

That is some insane stuff.

How about we just lower drops on mobs to almost nothing. and just leave the current trade skills in tact?
Old 12-09-2002, 12:04 PM
Pneu
Sarnak

Returning briefly to the original topic, EqEmu could attract more players by making it easier to access emulated servers. What could be more easier you wonder?

The point is to access emulated servers an end user must first download all of EqEmu (which will instantly be a turn off to many not interested in running their own server) and then they must read the readme inside the documentation folder, alternatively wade through the forums and wealth of information on the forums.

I would be more than happy to write a small tool to allow switching between live and emulated servers and optionally make a seperate emulated EQ folder all pre-configured. To work it would need to be a featured download on the main EqEmu webpage.

From an end-user point of view playing on emulated servers just got a whole lot easier...

Another idea I just had is when Wind Catcher updates the admin tool perhaps it would be more useful to list it with whatever is the then current eqemu version so that we can use the right tool for the job?

Pneu
Old 12-09-2002, 12:21 PM
DannMann99
Hill Giant

Well, your wrong, and i dont like saying that because it generally tends to piss people off.

First, to just play on the hack server all you need to do is have eqw (which almost everyone does) and change the eqhost.txt Now how hard is that, its just a copy and paste maneuver.

Secondly to change back all you have to do is select "Patch" in the eqw window. Thats hard?

Also, windcatcher already released his new EQadmin.
go check it out.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:25 PM
exdruid
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artadius
Swing by ex and we'll group up and kill some bandits

btw, I believe as of me writing this, that Wiz is updating Wintersroar to be fully 4.0 compatable in order to fix a few bugs.
That's where I've been playing.

The update is done, but it's currently on a rebootathon. Once it's running stable I'll be on all the time. I'm a level 5 cleric. I think the name is Aenar or Aedar or something like that. My compass is covering up my name.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:50 PM
DannMann99
Hill Giant

cough cough back to topic.

i see winters fury (i think thats it) server is a legit server that seems to have a few people on it (as in the post above) maybe we should offer to help out with them. Better to have us all helping on one project than on many a different ones.

Join the mIRC chat and see what you can do, right now i hear its not 24/7 cause its a dev server, but i heard it will be 24/7 come the bugs worked out.

Lets see what we can do.

Dann Out~
Old 12-09-2002, 08:34 PM
exdruid
Fire Beetle

It's Winter's Roar, and I get the feeling that it's SUPPOSED to be a 24/7 server, but that just isn't working out. If you're looking to do some scripting for a good server, that'd be the one to go for. It seems to have an acceptable supply of bandwidth, which is more than can be said for 90% of the servers that pop up.

The whole 'it will be put up when all the bugs are gone' thing is what keeps a lot of servers from launching. Of course they'll never be fixed. There will always be some tiny problem in the code. In the meantime they're blowing a whole lot of time and effort trying to create a bug-free server or a 'storyline' or something else that will never materialize. EQ Classic Test anyone?
Old 12-09-2002, 10:29 PM
Wiz
Dragon

WR isn't supposed to be 24/7 atm. I have a powerful box waiting to host it, but I want it stable before then.

THEN it will be 24/7.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:33 PM
exdruid
Fire Beetle

I stand corrected...

My previous point applies here. It was silly being stuck in the cat room, and it wasn't too fun not being able to cast after the update, but every time I check in on my downloads I load up eqw to see if the server is up yet. Stability or no, it's still fun.
Old 12-10-2002, 01:45 AM
Aragain
Sarnak

Thing is, WR isnt your run of the mill EQclassic server. Its a custom server, with a custom history, and a custom map(moving zone points around mind you). In the end, it worked out nicely I thin, especially since it is really the first of its kind, and will probably be here for a while.

Well you could join us(i say "us" becuase we are all family in there, and i get yelled at a lot from women, so undoubtably they want to be family), in the chat room #wr.

Also there is a forum, and I believe a webpage in the makes. Here, http://wiz.addr.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi
Old 12-10-2002, 04:38 AM
Pneu
Sarnak

DanMann

I know what I said sounds wrong, but try to log onto EqEmu and think like an end user coming to EqEmu for the first time in search of playing EQ for free. Pretend for a moment that you don't explore the My Computer icon and that you do most all your clicking on the start menu and on web pages.

The web page is designed, and fairly well, for the emulation software - it doesn't make things easy for the less technically inept but worthwhile community member often referred to as, the end-user. These are special members of the human race who have had their IQ surgically lowered to keep customer service staff amused.

My suggestion was to make a totally idiot-proof method to play on emulated servers for the benefit of these people and give it a presence on the EqEmu main web page.

Those of us who have the knowledge the setup servers are not your average user, everyone here is - *desperately searches vocabulary* above average *smirk* in terms of ability. The problem of course is if there are 200 EqEmu users, there are 200 servers...

Pneu[/b]
Old 12-10-2002, 09:55 AM
hydrocyanic
Sarnak

either remove the ^&*%*&%^ tradeskill or make it easier(ALOT!) to increase skill... i don't mind making dragon sclaed armor from dragon scale, but don't make me take 50hours to raise ONE skill to moderate...
mobs dropping armors are quite lame.. make them drop tradeskill items are good, make that there is quest to kill certain stuff to give mod to tradeskill and increase your skill too, and trade in item for increase tradeskill, etc etc...
the current tradeskill thingy from VI is deep fried BS...