Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:42 AM
Speedz
Hill Giant

I just joined in on this thread but I like that idea.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:50 AM
PixelEngineer
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS View Post
Do you guys mind if I move this to Dev and perhaps sticky it? (I think it's cool and has actually shown some promise)
Don't mind at all, as long as you let me pick your brain here and there.

Also, Speedz, pick up the commit I push tomorrow. It solved 98% of zone loading crashes. Might be a better starting point.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:01 AM
Speedz
Hill Giant

K will do, thanks
Old 01-19-2012, 06:13 PM
PixelEngineer
Sarnak

Revision 27

Changelog:
- Fixed a name length bug in the 0x03 fragment.
- Texture animation is now supported - still have to work on global timing
- Fixed up the 0x04 fragment issues. Figured out an unknown value in that fragment as well. Turns out it is animation delay, the number of milliseconds before the animated textures switches to the next texture.
- Finally fixed a weird texturing issue involving a NULL texture. For things like invisible wall, the polygons are still in the BSP tree (for collision). They do still have a texture reference but it points to a null value. This one was a pain to debug.
- Fixed a number of specific zone crash issues - some still remain, i.e. 'qeynos'

Known issues:
- Crash on texture load with some zones - have to look into this after the weekend.
- Animated textures do not always update at the same time.
- Some animated textures (waterfalls) flow the wrong way
- Oasis fails to load - stops on loading the file "canwall1.bmp" as it does not exist in the archive. canwall1a.bmp does however. I assume this is a fault on the
developer's end.
- Code base is still a huge mess. Bear with me while I slowly eliminate old functions that are not needed and rewrite certain fragment functions.
- Rendering seems to "freeze" when you go out of a leaf (travel back into a leaf and the frame will refresh). It hasn't actually froze but I disabled the whole zone rendering function until I finish the new rendering.

Goals for next commit:
- Texture crash fix
- Global texture animation timing
- Transparency and semi transparency with rendering (have to rewrite rendering function...again)
- Loading zone variables (sky/fog color/clip plane)
- Ambient light
Old 01-19-2012, 06:40 PM
PixelEngineer
Sarnak

One more thing before I disappear for the weekend, here is a concept UI I made. It needs to be something that's usable on different screen sizes. Again, just an idea but I am going to try and model the UI after this when the time comes.

Suggestions? Criticisms?
Old 01-20-2012, 12:57 AM
Speedz
Hill Giant

Grabbed it but I I'm not sure whats the deal with my setup.

'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'D:\EQEmu\Lantern\Lantern\Debug\Lantern.exe', Symbols loaded.
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'D:\EQEmu\Lantern\Lantern\SDL.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\advapi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcrt.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sechost.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rpcrt4.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sspicli.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cryptbase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gdi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\user32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\lpk.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\usp10.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\winmm.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcp100d.dll', Symbols loaded.
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr100d.dll', Symbols loaded.
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\opengl32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\glu32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ddraw.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dciman32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\setupapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cfgmgr32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\oleaut32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ole32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\devobj.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dwmapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'D:\EQEmu\Lantern\Lantern\glew32.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'D:\EQEmu\Lantern\Lantern\zlib1.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\imm32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msctf.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KBDUS.DLL', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KBDUS.DLL'
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KBDUS.DLL', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KBDUS.DLL'
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dsound.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\powrprof.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dinput.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\hid.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wintrust.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\crypt32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msasn1.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Lantern.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\nvoglv32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x1880) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x1854) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x1850) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x1b8c) has exited with code 1 (0x1).
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x14d has exited with code 1 (0x1).
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x280) has exited with code 1 (0x1).
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x1a14) has exited with code 1 (0x1).
The program '[8108] Lantern.exe: Native' has exited with code 1 (0x1).
Old 01-20-2012, 01:38 AM
PixelEngineer
Sarnak

log.txt contains all of the debug and error logging information you need.

However, I assume you don't have the .ini set up correctly. Open it. The top line is the zone shortname. The last one I used was qrg, Surefall Glade. Change it to arena or gfaydark and then drop the zone's .s3d in the same folder as the .exe

Then run as you normally would through Visual Studio.

When it doubt, check the error log. It's far from complete but definitely helps me to debug.

Edit: Also, you'll see a lot of texture related crap in the debug. I did a lot of that to solve most of the texture errors. Still have one more error so I am keeping them enabled.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:19 AM
Speedz
Hill Giant

Thanks for the quick reply and tips. Will try again in a few as I am reinstalling VS due to other issues not related to this build.

Didn't know or look deep enough to know about the zone and s3d files.
Will get this going and dive in soon.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:23 AM
PixelEngineer
Sarnak

No worries. Pace yourself and don't get burnt out. It took me months to get things working and I took many breaks so just take your time and have fun. Modify variables, mess around and see what makes things work. I am going to move a lot of the OpenGL stuff into a separate init.cpp so the main.cpp can just be client setup related.

Let me know if you ever have any questions or problems here, in a PM or at red.pixel.engineer@gmail.com

Cheers mate!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:31 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelEngineer View Post
One more thing before I disappear for the weekend, here is a concept UI I made. It needs to be something that's usable on different screen sizes. Again, just an idea but I am going to try and model the UI after this when the time comes.

Suggestions? Criticisms?
You are crazy talking to yourself. No really, I'm interested to see where you get with this
Old 01-21-2012, 05:05 AM
Speedz
Hill Giant

Got the client to fire up. For all interested peoples make sure you don't use s3d files from the SoF or SoD client
Old 01-21-2012, 07:55 PM
PixelEngineer
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedz View Post
Got the client to fire up. For all interested peoples make sure you don't use s3d files from the SoF or SoD client
This is something I will fix. The issue here isn't lack of support for the new WLD, it is lack of support for the texture formats (.dds, 24 bit bitmaps)

Told myself I wouldn't but I am going to try and fix that last pesky texture bug tonight.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Speedz
Hill Giant

Sent you a few emails with some minor things I played with and a launcher tool that I made.

Btw, the launcher tool will delete .s3d files in the root of where it is then load the s3d file you select from the list from a Maps folder. Made this to keep things simple for me, hope it is handy for ya.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Tabasco
Discordant

I downloaded this right after you published svn and then I got hit hard at work. Sorry to just disappear.

I fired this back up today and got it building under debian testing 64-bit.
The most notable issues were case-sensitivity in filenames and includes, '\' instead of '/' in include paths, and a handful of windows API functions that I moved to SQL or just cobbled together windows.h equivalents.

The one remaining issue appears to be related to 64 bit builds. I looked back at one of my old projects that borrowd PFS code from azone and it looks like we did things similarly. After quite a bit of debugging I started testing my old code again (as it was working in linux32) and it failed as well.

I won't be able to validate this in a 32-bit environment until later, but here's what I have so far.

http://midian.homelinux.net/lanterndiff.txt
Old 01-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Tabasco
Discordant

uint32 was typed to unsigned long and long types are used for crc's etc, which explains why there's not 64-bit love.
Now I'm having a problem with bitmaps, but I suspect it's related.

It seems like the solution here would be to use SDL_Image since it sounds like better general image support is needed anyway.