Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:54 PM
alfa24t
Fire Beetle

Any news about project status ?
Old 05-22-2007, 02:20 AM
Zengez
Hill Giant

Just a thought and I'll be honest I didn't have the time to pour over the whole thread so if this is a repeat, slap me silly... but;

I saw that you guys decided to go with EQ2 the original box edition, which makes sense, get the original areas populated first to make sure you got something to work with...

The only thing I was gonna mention though is that I remember EQ2, like every other MMO ever created, was pretty buggy on release... I don't know how much of that is client side and how much is server side, but It might be worth considering using an EQ2 original with EQ2 Desert of Ro or whatever the first expansion was called as a basis, both box installs, that way you get the patches to cover all the release crap that was messed up, but you only need to work on the original stuff and ignore the deserts of Ro expansion for everything but the client side patches

/shrug, like I said, just a thought, maybe I'm crazy!
Old 05-22-2007, 04:09 AM
CrabClaw
Hill Giant

I was on the IRC and LE told me he was working through the packets and updating them to get the client to work. He has to use packets from six months post release so it will take a bit of work to get the client responding again. So things may take a bit, but no problem, thats the nature of EMU dev-ing - patience is a virtue.

I do know about some of the the bugs for the pre-DoF EQ2, but I think (my assumption) we'll have deal with them for the time being until we see what we got. I will venture to guess any packet collection (at launch, for the first six months, not sure about current data) anyone has done would be helpful.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:24 PM
techguy84
Discordant

Any status on this. LE's site went down after the hosting switch so I was just curious when it may be back up. I'm anxsious ot play, but even more to hear some news on it. Hopefully he can get it back up and get some boards on it so we can stoping beating off-topic to death overhere.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:48 AM
alfa24t
Fire Beetle

So site down = project down ? :(
Old 05-28-2007, 06:17 PM
bayk
Fire Beetle

Hey Just noticed you are starting the EQ2EMU back up I would love to help in anyway I can I and some friends run 2 WoW private servers and 1 L2 server we would love to help with EQ2EMu anyway we can. I've a EQ2 Person at heart.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:36 PM
techguy84
Discordant

Quote:
Hey Just noticed you are starting the EQ2EMU back up I would love to help in anyway I can I and some friends run 2 WoW private servers and 1 L2 server we would love to help with EQ2EMu anyway we can. I've a EQ2 Person at heart.
Can you or your friends program. Thats probably what LE is in need most of. There is alot to coding the emulator though, as you have to be able to understand C, networking and its communication methods, things like that. Also database work would be helpful, like fluency in MySQL.

Packet collecting is always a big thing as without it, there wouldnt be much of a world. Its the easiest to do as it requires no knowledge but how to run a program. Sometimes SOE can monitor and find out wether your using these or not so your account may be up for termination. Its a risk, but everything is now a day.

Hope this helps out.

P.S. I should add a disclaimer to all the above, as I may be 100% wrong, but its to my knowledge that the about is true. Feel free to correct me on anything and as always, wait for LE to say something since he knows far more than any of us.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:15 PM
LethalEncounter
Former Administrator/Developer

Ahh, I didnt realize that the dns wasnt resolving. Apparently Rogean was using the old machine to host the eq2emulator domain. I'll see if I can get the subdomain pointed back at my box.

I am in the process of getting the original box set of EQ2 to login properly. I found some packet logs from a couple of months after launch that will help greatly. Even if I decide not to continue with the project I will at least leave you guys with a server that you can login with the original client. If I dont decide to stay with the project I will release the login server code as well.

As for packet logs, those will be a problem. The creator of EverDump (Acid1789) now works for SOE on EQ2 and he broke (fixed) the old method of getting the encryption key. Without the key, we cant decrypt the data and see any new data from live. Luckily if we continue with the original client we wont need any new packet logs. Unfortunately, this also means that some features may never work properly.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:24 PM
techguy84
Discordant

Hey, great to finally here some news about this. I appricate you keeping it going for a little longer and even possibly handing over the helm to others that are intersted to keep it going, should you decied to drop it.

Personally, I would like to see some new content, but to be completly honest, I myself would be happy with a OOB working version of the original. It severly limits the things we can do and such, but it works for me and for alot of others.

If we cant packet collect from live anymore, can we still make a live compatible client. I dunno squat about this, but is a question as to allow the community to thrive, we would have to move beyond the original box set sometime as not a whole lot of people would have it. I keep all my EQ stuff packed away, hell, I still have the original box for EQ when it first come out, along with the kunark bundle after that,,, hmmm good times good times.

Oh well, looking forward to seeing this thing in action once its back up. Does the player signup work or is it just there incase of futer implemtation. I never used it when it first come out so I dont have a old account there.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:50 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy84
Personally, I would like to see some new content
We are fortunate to have anyone willing to attempt this today, since for the last 2 years not one coder has stepped up to the plate to offer assistance. Learn to crawl before we try sprinting, yes?

Quote:
but is a question as to allow the community to thrive, we would have to move beyond the original box set sometime as not a whole lot of people would have it.
In this age of free information, there's literally nothing that cannot be found on the internet.

Good points, all. But I wouldn't push for modern content until you see a solid base project that everyone can enjoy.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:20 PM
techguy84
Discordant

I'm not pushing. If we just set at Original Box version for the rest of the projects life cycle, I am still super content by that.

It would be intriguing to see things I have never seen before, but if that puts strain on anyone at all, I am not for it. I am one that like people to work at there own pace. I use to manage a restaurant, and this was my motto. Turnover was outrageuos before I took over and with this idea, It dropped tremendously because people were happier, enjoyed work, and didnt feel slave driven.

My main point about the coding the LS and emu for up to date clients was simply to allow those that are currently playing LIVE and started after the original box a oppourtunity to try it out. I know there are several several ways to find a original box of EQ, some not so legit, but even with "those" sites it gets harder and harder to find something of that age when there is more current version out. I did manage to come across a game called LOOM, if anyone remembers that. Back in the 386 days it was pretty popular.

If there is a project like this and the orignal box is all that will do, you may see a surge of sources out there. Ebay and things. We cant point to anything other than Ebay so we cant exactly help boost community population. But where theres a will, there is a way.

Anyhow, I am not going to keep going, for fear of bamnation. Its still a truly exciting time for the EQ2 players though. Why cant it be as easy to code a server for EQ2 as it was for the multiude of variants for WoW. Course blizz was new to the MMORPG scene so shame on them for not sealing and breaking things up a little better. Give it to SOE to prevent fun and free"dom"!

EDIT: After browsing around, I have found around 20 or 30 original box sets on Ebay, so it may not be that hard after all. Best part is there are all selling for under $10!!

Last edited by techguy84; 06-03-2007 at 01:39 AM..
Old 06-11-2007, 08:55 AM
LethalEncounter
Former Administrator/Developer

Those logs from two months after the game was released arent going to work. After spending countless hours trying to figure out the spawn packet so that I could log my character into the game using the original client, I am leaning towards using a client from a date where I definately have the logs necessary to create a working client. The problem with this of course is that we would need a way to distribute the files or otherwise noone would be able to play it. Not sure of any other way to do it.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:23 AM
alfa24t
Fire Beetle

If you can upload the files I can host for you :P

Just tell me in pm I provide you logs and pass
Old 06-11-2007, 11:31 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalEncounter
Those logs from two months after the game was released arent going to work. After spending countless hours trying to figure out the spawn packet so that I could log my character into the game using the original client, I am leaning towards using a client from a date where I definately have the logs necessary to create a working client. The problem with this of course is that we would need a way to distribute the files or otherwise noone would be able to play it. Not sure of any other way to do it.
Will any of the expansion pack releases work? I have a DoF disc set here. I think the other expansions have been DD tho, if I recall.

Or, since the project is re-awakening, just put a line in the sand saying "Gotta have a fresh install of [whatever the current combo pack] in order to play EQ2Emu" like we do here for Titanium. I do not think that is an unrealistic requirement.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Kayot
Discordant

It is unrealistic if he lacks the packets for that client. The reason we can use Titanium is because the packets were collected for it the day it came out. I however would like a newer client as the addition of the stamina meter made my life so much easer. I wasn't in competition with people who really have no life at all.

God doesn't give second chances... Hell, he sets you up the first time.