Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:44 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

I have long hated SOE's expand-a-thons every 6 mos for exactly what you mention, Crabclaw. Spreading the dwindling player bases out even thinner than they were. Forcing people to spend $30 every 6 mos on top of their ever-rising monthly fees has put SOE at the top of my hate list. I am playing Vanguard now, and I am unhappy that I still have to maintain a now $30/mo station pass fee. When I started playing EQ in 2000, i was paying $9.95/mo. Now, I pay around $100/mo for all my accounts across various games.

This is the single motivation I have for progressing Emulators. I'm tired of shelling out cash monthly just to sit in a huge-ass MMO alone.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:36 PM
ZexisStryfe
Fire Beetle

Both Everquest and EQ2 have moved to a 1 expansion a year model and EQ2 has gotten rid of the "Adventure Packs." EQ2 has made some great strides since Echoes of Faydwer was released last year, and the game is more fun now than it ever was (in my opinion). With the November release of Rise of Kunark, EQ2 is also moving to a "Macro-zone" format, with massive multi-area zones.
I think getting the emulator to work from live is by far the best bet, because that way those who want the classic servers can have those, while those who enjoy the new content (like the new Neriak) and have those servers.
Optimally, I think it would be great if we could get Rise of Kunark also included in this emulator from the start, giving the Devs a year of development time before any other huge changes unfold (not counting the monthly updates, which have become larger and larger as of late).
Old 07-07-2007, 04:42 PM
saweb
Sarnak

Default Years!

I must say, I am so glad to see that this project is moving forward again!
It pleases me to see people work on this, because I have simply had enough WoW emu play.

If there is anything I can do for you (MYsql AdvAT) please let me know.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:44 PM
saweb
Sarnak

Default Hi

By the way,
Thank you LethalEncounter for what you are doing here. Its much appreciated.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:23 PM
saweb
Sarnak

Default Why?

LE, as we all know. . .currently your login server is closed beta. Not that I compromise your work in any way, its just that I think it would be better if you get an entire community working on such a project!.

Take for example how far mangos have gone, starting off with a single persons code, developed on forums.

Mangos, by the way (Massive Network Game Object Server) has an open source login server (intended for use with world of warcraft) that could easily be adapted to work with another mmo.

After all, they claim MaNGOS is an inter-mmo emu.

http://www.mangosproject.org/forum/index.php
Old 07-07-2007, 05:48 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

Some believe MaNGOS is in it's final days, regarding WoW emulators anyway. I disagree, but it seems the more direct C++ projects are taking over. I know Mangos was written in c++, but there has to be some reason why Antrix is taking over. Maybe it's just the database?

Second only to game functionality, is portability. I love using Linux for servers, but some projects limit only to Windoze. I think most good projects start in a *NIX environment and migrate after it goes "open source" to Windows.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:41 PM
saweb
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams View Post
Some believe MaNGOS is in it's final days, regarding WoW emulators anyway. I disagree, but it seems the more direct C++ projects are taking over. I know Mangos was written in c++, but there has to be some reason why Antrix is taking over. Maybe it's just the database?

Second only to game functionality, is portability. I love using Linux for servers, but some projects limit only to Windoze. I think most good projects start in a *NIX environment and migrate after it goes "open source" to Windows.
As a (semi) MaNGOS developer, I think that Antric is a long way from even remotely playable, simply because of the huge amount of things that simply arent there.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:16 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Not to derail... but to comment. I am not sure what you mean, "not playable"? I have players on my server daily leveling away, doing quests, exploring, general fun... and these are experienced WoW players - since I do not have that experience, naturally everything looks great to me.

Thing about MaNGOS is it's stall at client 2.0.12 - no one with a 2.1.2 client can even connect anymore, or use commands or chat? Or the fact that at 20 users, MaNGOS tanks on most PC-based servers? I'm sure they'll update. But the 2+ mos it's been stalled there, I think another giant has entered the arena.

One thing I dislike about Antrix is the commands that are missing. Obvious ones. Like, .lookupitemset. There's an .additemset, but no way to look one up. heh. Of course, this could be my naivity and not understanding the scripts and whatnot.

Anyway... sorry again for continuing the WoWs here, but I happen to like Antrix a lot so far.

Edit: Oh, and I absolutely abHOR the WoW community... they are the stupidest, laziest, greediest, most assinine bunch of players I have ever seen in my life. Not to mention horrible at the english language. Even the non-english speaking players speak better english than these kids. I have resolved every-single-WoW player has to be 9 years old. It causes me physical pain to have to read mmowned or emupedia for any information... sigh.

Last edited by John Adams; 07-08-2007 at 10:19 AM..
Old 07-08-2007, 06:31 AM
saweb
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams View Post
Not to derail... but to comment. I am not sure what you mean, "not playable"? I have players on my server daily leveling away, doing quests, exploring, general fun... and these are experienced WoW players - since I do not have that experience, naturally everything looks great to me.

Thing about MaNGOS is it's stall at client 2.0.12 - no one with a 2.1.2 client can even connect anymore, or use commands or chat? Or the fact that at 20 users, MaNGOS tanks on most PC-based servers? I'm sure they'll update. But the 2+ mos it's been stalled there, I think another giant has entered the arena.

One thing I dislike about Antrix is the commands that are missing. Obvious ones. Like, .lookupitemset. There's an .additemset, but no way to look one up. heh. Of course, this could be my naivity and not understanding the scripts and whatnot.

Anyway... sorry again for continuing the WoWs here, but I happen to like Antrix a lot so far.

Edit: Oh, and I absolutely abHOR the WoW community... they are the stupidest, laziest, greediest, most assinine bunch of players I have ever seen in my life. Not to mention horrible at the english language. Even the non-english speaking players speak better english than these kids. I have resolved every-single-WoW player has to be 9 years old. It causes me physical pain to have to read mmowned or emupedia for any information... sigh.
I understand what you mean, but in my view Antrix has got a nice core. . .but a pathetic database system. (Not the actualy DB itself)

For the time being, im staying with mangos, as I know how the mangos code looks like + It would look really bad if a long time mangos dev goes over to antrix.

Anyways, lets get back to the point. Everquest2 (in my poor knowledge of its going on's) uses quite the same method of logging that WoW uses, and the fact remains that mangos was ORIGINALLY designed to integrate with any emu type project, only recently (about a year ago) it became oriented in the WoW direction.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Kayot
Discordant

My only wish, I don't want to go through some one else's login server. ^-^ So I have an antrix server running for just my friends. I hope EQ2emu has a better (mini)login than EQemu. It really kills the mood when the main login server goes down and then no one can connect.

My only problem with antrix is that it sometimes (rarely) crashes, the antrix server, not it's login server and I'm almost scared to ask for help on emupedia. Any one here run an antrix server and know of a way to make an auto restart on the servers, please PM me.

Back to EQ2emu, I'm looking forward to the release of the emu. Sometimes all a player really wants is a small community of RL friends.

God doesn't give second chances... Hell, he sets you up the first time.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:59 PM
saweb
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayot View Post
My only wish, I don't want to go through some one else's login server. ^-^ So I have an antrix server running for just my friends. I hope EQ2emu has a better (mini)login than EQemu. It really kills the mood when the main login server goes down and then no one can connect.

My only problem with antrix is that it sometimes (rarely) crashes, the antrix server, not it's login server and I'm almost scared to ask for help on emupedia. Any one here run an antrix server and know of a way to make an auto restart on the servers, please PM me.

Back to EQ2emu, I'm looking forward to the release of the emu. Sometimes all a player really wants is a small community of RL friends.

http://filebeam.com/0e99a0b3c8996e425e7ec1da79faae20

Made by a friend a while ago.
Dont forget to configure the .conf file.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Kayot
Discordant

Thanks, This will be very useful for those annoying away from home crashes.

BTW, what is happening with the EQ2emu Project?

God doesn't give second chances... Hell, he sets you up the first time.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:11 AM
saweb
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayot View Post
Thanks, This will be very useful for those annoying away from home crashes.

BTW, what is happening with the EQ2emu Project?
Nobody has a current up to date status report. I hope LE doesnt disappear!!
Old 07-10-2007, 04:08 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

Now that I got my mits on the source, I was hoping to get familiar with it. Do you know >>exactly<< what client is compatible with this current server version (if any)? I'd like to set it up and take a look later.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:33 PM
saweb
Sarnak

Default Hi

Currently the only know version of EQ2 to work with the server is:

SOEBuild= 1700 English

But this is pointless, theres no way to even access the world, as LE hasnt released the server that logs you into the world.