Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Nomax5
Fire Beetle

Default If I could change EQ

I started playing eq within a month of its release and it was buggy, I had no idea what I was doing and there were rumors of bugs such as
(corpse fell through the world bug and you loose everything)

This time best time and the most fun for me, the sound of a hill giant or an ooc of (Werewolf) was enough to scare me.

As the game changed over the years I like many others think the devs made some bum gameplay decisions along the way and the game in my opinion got progressively worse.

Now it seems I have the opportunity to change a few of those design decisions and see if I can do better.

I’ve never played a Permadeath version of EQ and I want to at least try it so then I know for sure what it is like.
my guess is it will be either a

total pain in the butt

or a

total addictive pain in the butt

and I won’t know for sure until I try it.

is that the sort of thing I could try with eqmu?
Old 12-11-2008, 10:56 AM
kedra
Sarnak

By 'permadeath' I'm assuming you mean that once you die, you lose your character, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

It gets mentioned occasionally, but I'm not sure if there are any servers like this running right now. There might be some, I just don't know of any off the top of my head.

I'm working on a PvP server where players will return to level 1 and lose spells, skills, equipment, etc.. when they are killed by opponents (strictly in PvP, not PvE). (http://cohpvp.net/?page.cohpvp-information)

I think this type of gameplay has the potential to be a lot of fun if done properly, the only problem is that most people do not want to invest many hours into a character knowing they can lose it all in an instant, especially considering the transient nature of many Emu servers.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Ikeren
Hill Giant

There was an EQ server that did that; Discord Server, PVP, die, were reset to 1: full looting rights. The only thing you kept was skills and spells.

The top 6 people for # of kills on Discord /randomed, and Stromm won. His prize; the first progression server being named after him.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:03 PM
kiirdiir
Sarnak

But Stromm was not a progression server, unless I am mistaken and there are two.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Ikeren
Hill Giant

Maybe your right. Was Stromm the clean reset server where nobody could move anything on, and it was a race to the top? Whatever. I remember the server Stromm was named after the winning player on the Discord server.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Andrew80k
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikeren View Post
Maybe your right. Was Stromm the clean reset server where nobody could move anything on, and it was a race to the top? Whatever. I remember the server Stromm was named after the winning player on the Discord server.
Yep. Stromm was started clean with no transfers. Transfers were eventually allowed to that server but it was about a year and a half after it was started.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:41 AM
Nomad
Fire Beetle

I played on Stromm from the first or second day it opened. It was probably my most memorable time of playing EQ, bar none.

Once they opened the server to transfers (iirc, a year after it opened), I retired my character and pretty much said goodbye to the whole Live experience.