Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:07 AM
Bradyhawke
Fire Beetle

Default updating email addresses

Hey guys,

Just wondering when the ability to update email addresses on our accounts will be available? When I try to make the change, it says that it is currently not available.

pretty much all my accounts on here are attached to "yahoo" emails that I don't use anymore. I still have access to them, I just don't want to use them anymore and would like to delete those email accounts all-together when I'm done changing to new gmail accounts.

Thanks for any help with this...
Old 12-20-2018, 06:54 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Probably not for a long time, if ever. Sorry.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:02 PM
entropy
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingly_Krab View Post
Probably not for a long time, if ever. Sorry.
I'm in the same position as OP, and I think it would be helpful if a reason for this or an alternative method for changing email addresses were explained. Because from the outside it looks absurd that we can't change the email address associated with our accounts. This is the only forum on the entire internet that I've ever come across with the lack of this feature. And it seems pointless as well because if we have access to the forum account, it means we have access to everything else, and it's simply an annoyance that the original email address is either defunct or inaccessible and we can't change it.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:58 AM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

The forum is ~16 years old or more and it’s hard to retroactively put a system in place that could possibly compromise hundreds or thousands of loginserver accounts that people may have shared, sold, or whatever. Logging in to a forum account is no more proof that you are the legitimate owner than giving us the loginserver account names or associated email. In my opinion I think we haven’t done it for the very reasons I just described.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:22 AM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Then what would work? Not providing service and support for users doesn't seem like a solution any more than excuses comprise answers.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:00 AM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Only person who can give anything other than an “excuse” as an answer would be Rogean considering he controls the forum site and loginserver.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:25 PM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

It hasn't always been that way. It used to be available to all developers. What has changed?

(to my old friend Rogean) Rog, have you become paranoid? Has the quality of developers and admins dropped so dramatically that none of them can be trusted? Just curious. Feel free to PM me or email me if you can get away from your server for a few.

Last edited by Scorpious2k; 12-26-2018 at 12:30 PM..
Old 12-26-2018, 09:01 PM
entropy
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingly_Krab View Post
The forum is ~16 years old or more and it’s hard to retroactively put a system in place that could possibly compromise hundreds or thousands of loginserver accounts that people may have shared, sold, or whatever. Logging in to a forum account is no more proof that you are the legitimate owner than giving us the loginserver account names or associated email. In my opinion I think we haven’t done it for the very reasons I just described.
In what way does logging into the forum account NOT prove that you're the owner? At present if I can log into a forum account, I can change the loginserver password and play the game, delete characters, create new characters, sell items in EC, etc. Preventing forum account users from changing an email address won't stop any of that. If you'll notice, I created my account here in 2004. A good percentage of people, including myself, will no longer have access to the email address that they were using fifteen years ago, because that's like an internet century. As I mentioned I'm still using my account to play the game and enjoy it, and it's really just a small inconvenience that I can't link my P99 account with this one, but it's still not making sense to me who you think you're protecting by preventing people from changing their email addresses if they can log in to the forum. If someone has access to the forum account they have access to the login-server and therefore the characters. Nothing about an account is safe once the forum account has been compromised anyway... I want to be polite, and I have a lot of respect for what's been accomplished by this project, but... It's current year. People change their email addresses, sell domains, graduate school, life goes on and some email accounts go away.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:35 AM
Rikon
Sarnak

It doesn't make sense from a security perspective for the reasons entropy has already laid out. I would need to understand more the concerns of management here, but there are many solutions out there for overcoming issues related to authentication and authorization. Hell, even implementing a 2FA/MFA option (Google Authenticator is easy enough) would clear up most issues.

I can toss my hat into the ring to help advise or consult. There are other areas of concern, too. I have 15+ years in cybersecurity with all the associated alphabet soup of security certifications.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:30 PM
entropy
Fire Beetle

Bump........
Old 01-23-2019, 10:23 AM
Brilhasti
Fire Beetle

I don't use the loginserver, I run my own private LAN server. I just want to change my email address to use on this forum. How do I go about it?