Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Linux Servers

Support::Linux Servers Support forum for Linux EQEMu users.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:37 PM
Fluff
Fire Beetle

Default Newly build local server, world shows down but can create characters

Good day,

Back after a long break. I wanted to set up a local server. I used the linux build script on a virtual machine and everything seems fine. I start the server with ./server_start_with_login.sh and it fires up. I can create an account.

After this point, world shows DOWN in the client. If I click play anyway, it brings me into Character Creation, where it will allow me to make a character, but I cannot then log in.

Because of all the automation (which is really great), I am kind of stumped what I might have missed.

I altered my login.ini and eqemu_config.json with some suggestions I found here for using a local server: http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42341

My virtual machine has a bridged adapter set up, the client is running on the same system as the VM host - I can communicate with the machine enough to login so I don't believe it is a firewall issue (it is all technically within the same machine and lan). It created an account for me and I see the server name which I changed, so I am clearly getting some data from it.

Any thoughts on some things I could check? Thanks.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:12 PM
Fluff
Fire Beetle

After messing with it some, I was able to correct the problem by changing the database host to 127.0.0.1 - I tried changing/adding the local ip address to most settings. The server showed DOWN, but allowed me to connect and go into the tutorial. After getting one character in, the status now shows UP.

I am now seeing another problem, the NPCs dialog when I hail them looks like gibberish, it is all a bunch of symbols on the quest related npcs (the text in the chat window).
Old 06-21-2019, 05:44 PM
Uleat
Developer

I'm not a linux guy..but, the last time I heard of that particular issue with the quest text was possibly..

..related to not having the correct version of perl - maybe build version x64 vs x86.

Hopefully, that will jog someone's memory that may know more about this.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 06-24-2019, 10:53 AM
Fluff
Fire Beetle

Apparently it has something to do with a change in Ubuntu 19, see:

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42499