Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:56 PM
Silentrath
Fire Beetle

Default Does a Discord server interest anyone?

Is anyone interested in a Discord type server? Where if you die, you go back starting at level 1. However, xp rates would be increased and all items obviously would be tradeable.

Would start in classic expansion and would work to PoP.

What would be the interest in something like this?
Old 07-06-2015, 04:08 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

That's a good question, sounds like a cool idea, but even though people may post and say they'd play it like crazy or whatever, the only real way to find out is to follow through with your idea and see the drawing.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:06 PM
Silentrath
Fire Beetle

That is the best thing to do, is just put it in action and see what happens. Im going to be working on it and see what happens! Ill make a post when its ready for the public
Old 07-06-2015, 08:27 PM
knowom
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentrath View Post
Is anyone interested in a Discord type server? Where if you die, you go back starting at level 1. However, xp rates would be increased and all items obviously would be tradeable.

Would start in classic expansion and would work to PoP.

What would be the interest in something like this?
I had a somewhat similar idea awhile back. If you keep it to EQ classic zones only or up through Velious as cutoff point while included AA's and making it a 4-way faction based pvp with no corpse retrieval and retaining items upon death and I'd be quite interested by it. Even if that's just a start off point and the goal is to eventually have it pure custom spawns/loot it could draw interest and build up a player base.

I worked on doubling classic zone spawns in SQL database file for the two smallest EQ classic continents awhile back, it would be easy enough to manipulate a bunch of them to behave similar to Kithicor Forest with different night time and day time spawns.

Increasing XP rate could work well, but you'd have to also make sure you adjust AA XP rates higher to compensate for and offset the increased XP rate.

I think the premise for this a fun enough idea really. I don't know how many people will play it or not, but it's got potential. I think classic EQ zones in particular are the zones people kind of have the most nostalgia towards in general. This might be just different enough to be appealing to a lot people perhaps who knows. I'd find it more interesting personally. Also what about cleric resurrection how would that play into this partial level/levels recoveries!? The idea of a moderately hardcore server is appealing to me though where death matters more than usual.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:47 PM
Silentrath
Fire Beetle

Toying with the idea of a PvE Discord type of server, so where it has the Discord Rules, but you can't PvP. I am playing around with some different ideas on my private server to see how things feel.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:53 AM
knowom
Discordant

I think something that would be really cool is enabling factions based PVP for specific zones. I think people would be more likely to participate in that style of consensual group based PVP. It would be neat to some how also have a way of implementing guilds vs guilds pvp for specific zones as well. Those are two things I'd really love to see done on a EQemu server. If those can be done it might even also be possible to tie the zone flags to only apply at certain in game times day/night sort of like cease fires.

That with the other features you mentioned would be really unique and different. It would allow enough PVP variety to be interesting to get people to want to participate w/o being too forced and mandatory.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:25 AM
Shendare
Dragon

Faction-based PvP in certain zones sounds awesome. I love that idea.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:51 PM
Silentrath
Fire Beetle

What about if a player dies, do we want their items to stay on the corpse or they respawn with the items?
Old 07-07-2015, 02:55 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Quote:
What about if a player dies, do we want their items to stay on the corpse or they respawn with the items?
If a player died and had to go back to get their items from their corpses, they'd likely be free kills for other people.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:59 PM
Shendare
Dragon

Yeah, that was my thought, too. A different penalty would be better.

One awesome customization would be a way of tracking each character's kills vs. deaths in these team battle zones. Build up points for each team and for each character for bragging rights.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:04 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Teamed PVP in EverQuest?
Old 07-07-2015, 05:10 PM
Silentrath
Fire Beetle

What if, kinda like a hardcore PvE server? If you die, you start back at level 1 with your items, items are all tradeable.

Im just throwing around multiple ideas
Old 07-07-2015, 08:34 PM
knowom
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingly_Krab View Post
If a player died and had to go back to get their items from their corpses, they'd likely be free kills for other people.
I like PVP, but that would just too easily enable players to corpse camp. I should be fun not a aggravation so it should to be spontaneous, but consensual.

This is why I think a zone flag for faction based PVP would be great it could be dynamic, spontaneous, and consensual and if you can manipulate it based on game day/night timers it could could offer all three in lots of different Kithicor inspired ways.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:50 PM
ak48
Sarnak

You could do something like if you die you get a penalty that can only be removed by killing NPCs and/or other players.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:50 PM
knowom
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingly_Krab View Post
Teamed PVP in EverQuest?
There were team faction servers on live so it's nothing new, but the idea of restricting in more to specific zones flagged for it is pretty original and new. I think it would add a lot of intrigue you might see numerous guild alliances of two or three opposing factions for example. It has the potential for a lot of social complexity at least of that type. Not sure how the guild alliances would work it might involve friendly fire in flagged zones, but honestly I think that's reasonable enough to live with.

Quote:
What if, kinda like a hardcore PvE server? If you die, you start back at level 1 with your items, items are all tradeable.

Im just throwing around multiple ideas
It's your server so it boils down to what you want the best we can do is offer our input it's really up to you to decide. Starting back at level 1 is fine for PVE (only) and retaining items upon death and being able to trade all or most items would be fine that's sort of standard procedure.

I think earning rewards based on PVE within a faction toggled zone would be reasonable enough just via quests and direct loot that's encouragement enough. Could always make group/raid targets of higher value and different factions/guild alliances would naturally compete over control of them. Could probably even create a server wide buff like DAOC had for RvR for the leading faction.