Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:05 PM
Tegila
Hill Giant

Default PC strong enough for 2 servers at once?

My server is running on a alienware m11x with 1.7ghz dual or quad cpu I forget which, and 4gigs of ram running win7hp64

Will that handle 2 servers at once, or should I try to put my testserver elsewhere?

I used to run my bard on live off that machine decently, but idk which specs are most important on a server, or howmuch each uses just being launched.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:05 PM
Uleat
Developer

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/sho...47&postcount=9

Compilin' Dirty
Old 04-02-2018, 04:10 PM
Tegila
Hill Giant

Thanks. Heres a question though, (more windows than eqemu) If you keep account logged in, but then sign into a different user, and the first has a static IP, will the second account be running off the same IP, or will it get its own? And if it gets it's own, could a server then be run off that acct concurrently with the first as long as both stay logged in, i.e. similar to a virtual machine.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:00 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Bruh...Internal IP address means jack shit. The PC itself will keep an address as long as the DHCP lease doesn't expire, or is set to static.

The reason you can't run two is due to routers only being able to forward ports to ONE IP at a time, and two applications CANNOT bind to the same port at the same time.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:47 PM
Tegila
Hill Giant

Thanks Maze. Wasn't thinking about ports. I'll just have to figure how to get another machine to let me install or get a copy and paste job to work, and remember to have 2 different clients to connect with.

Wait, so that wouldn't matter anyway no matter how many computers, can only have 1 lan server running at a time it sounds. That kinda defeats the reason for making a test server, not having to keep hotfixing etc or restarting the one everyone plays on.

Oh, but I'm not a bruh
Old 04-03-2018, 06:29 AM
Tegila
Hill Giant

Or, can I just assign different ports to each server? I could use titanium to access the testserver, so luginserver uses a diff port, and I understand the rest are in ranges. But idk if those ranges are set by the server, the client, or a combination. I know one can get around the issue of portforwarding by having the receiving machine then proxy to another in the case of multiple domain servers, but being that these are the same thing, not just 2 diff things using same port, idk if that could be utilized here.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:32 AM
GRUMPY
Discordant

I apologize if I am wrong in understanding what your goal is here, but I was interpreting
that you wanted to keep a server up on the LAN open for players to romp around, while
you work on another server ? (I was reading another post of yours)

Something I do right now, is one server, operating on the LAN, accessible by any player on the
LAN, but on my own work station puter, I run a seperate local server with IP's all set to 127.0.0.1
which enables me to work on that server locally. (server and client both on same box)
If that's not your intentions, then sorry, I have no clue, haha
Old 04-03-2018, 12:51 PM
Tegila
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUMPY View Post
I apologize if I am wrong in understanding what your goal is here, but I was interpreting
that you wanted to keep a server up on the LAN open for players to romp around, while
you work on another server ? (I was reading another post of yours)

Something I do right now, is one server, operating on the LAN, accessible by any player on the
LAN, but on my own work station puter, I run a seperate local server with IP's all set to 127.0.0.1
which enables me to work on that server locally. (server and client both on same box)
If that's not your intentions, then sorry, I have no clue, haha
That's exactly what I want to do. So as long as it's on the machine I'm using I can use the 127.0.0 settings?
Old 04-04-2018, 03:14 PM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

If you're tech-savvy, you can get a tiny instance on google cloud or amazon web services to spin up an instance and get an elastic ip assigned. Expose ports on it, and relay the traffic to your local instance using sshuttle (linux) or another similar service.

By doing that, you can have as many servers as you want running on one server, and reach each one via different IP addresses, by binding the local servers to unique IP's and routing traffic..

But with the above, you are likely better off just getting 2 servers anyways.

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com