Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:13 PM
nano
Fire Beetle

Default .bat to switch between live and eqemu client

Hello all,

I am not sure if this topic has been brought up before, I did a little searching but did not find anything that was specific to this case.

I recently had a friend that was interested in playing on eqemulator, she has a eqlive install but not titanium. This got me thinking exactly what files she would need to play on eqemulator. Any install of everquest after titanium has the majority of the client files that titanium has, so to save time she would only need a handful of "core" files.

After a little searching and experimenting I came up with list of list of "core" files from a titanium install. This is a list of files from the everquest titanium client folder needed to make a newer version of everquest compatible:

(Please note I am not endorsing the distribution of game client files in any way!)

Code:
DIR RenderEffects\*
DIR uifiles\default\*
*.dll
*.exe
eqhost.txt
spells_en.txt
spells_us.txt
blackburrow_2_obj.s3d
freportn.xmi
freportn_chr.s3d
freportn_sndbnk.eff
freportn_sounds.eff
freportw.xmi
freportw_assets.txt
freportw_chr.s3d
freportw_sndbnk.eff
freportw_sounds.eff
highpass.s3d
highpass_chr.s3d
highpass_obj.s3d
highpass_sndbnk.eff
highpass_sounds.eff
nro.xmi
nro2_chr.s3d
nro_chr.s3d
nro_chr.txt
nro_obj2.s3d
nro_sndbnk.eff
nro_sounds.eff
oasis2_chr.s3d
oasis_2_obj.s3d
oasis_chr.s3d
oasis_chr.txt
oasis_sndbnk.eff
oasis_sounds.eff
rathemtn_chr2.s3d
soltemple_chr.s3d
soltemple_sndbnk.eff
soltemple_sounds.eff
sro_2_obj.s3d
sro_chr.s3d
sro_chr.txt
sro_sndbnk.eff
sro_sounds.eff
If you zip the following files up it's only 33MB! These files when placed in a version of everquest newer than titanium will make the install compatible with eqemulator according to my tests.

If you place the following files in a sub folder and name it "_eqemu_files", you can then use a .bat file to swap between the existing client and eqemu client. This is the simple .bat file I made in this case:

Code:
mkdir _backup_files
move RenderEffects _backup_files
move uifiles _backup_files
move *.exe _backup_files
move *.dll _backup_files
move eqhost.txt _backup_files
move spells_en.txt _backup_files
move spells_us.txt _backup_files
move nektulos.eqg _backup_files
move highpass*.* _backup_files

mkdir RenderEffects
xcopy /s _eqemu_files\RenderEffects RenderEffects
mkdir uifiles
xcopy /s _eqemu_files\uifiles uifiles
copy _eqemu_files\*.exe .\
copy _eqemu_files\*.dll .\
copy _eqemu_files\*.txt .\
copy _eqemu_files\*.eff .\
copy _eqemu_files\*.s3d .\
copy _eqemu_files\*.xmi .\
I named the .bat "install_eqemu_files.bat" in this case.

I then made another .bat to reverse the procedure and restore the install to the previous version:

Code:
xcopy /s /y _backup_files\RenderEffects RenderEffects
xcopy /s /y _backup_files\uifiles uifiles
copy _backup_files\*.exe .\
copy _backup_files\*.dll .\
copy _backup_files\*.txt .\
copy _backup_files\nektulos.eqg .\
copy _backup_files\highpass*.* .\
I named this one "uninstall_eqemu_files.bat". I then zipped the "_eqemu_files" subfolder containing the titanium client files and the two .bat files and can use it to convert the client back and forth.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Taurinus
Hill Giant

Just install the Titanium client in a different directory and leave it be. Problem solved. This sounds like a remedy for someone who would have access to the Titanium client files and not the actual retail distribution. In other words, this is for installing the client in an unsupported (read: illegal) fashion.

Your friend may have bought Everquest and has a valid license for that distribution, but this in no way entitles one to another distribution.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:08 PM
nano
Fire Beetle

I made this partially in response to this post over on projecteq:

http://projecteq.net/phpBB2/viewtopi...03ff8f2576782f
Old 04-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Taurinus
Hill Giant

Yep. You will notice that the post over at the PEQ forum assumes that the user has the Titanium client installed (or at least extracted from the retail distribution). Your creation is something different altogether.

Again, what is the use of this if you have Titanium retail distribution? Zero. The only ones who could stand to benefit from this are the same ones who don't have a licensed copy of Titanium. It's that simple.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:21 PM
nano
Fire Beetle

I said in the original post I don't endorse the distribution of client files, this could be helpful for people trying to save disk space.

Apparently that wasn't enough for you to find some reason to complain. Try not to make assumptions or be pessimistic about peoples intentions next time please.

If that's not good enough for you, don't worry. I won't bother trying to contribute anymore then.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:27 PM
steve
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurinus View Post
Yep. You will notice that the post over at the PEQ forum assumes that the user has the Titanium client installed (or at least extracted from the retail distribution). Your creation is something different altogether.

Again, what is the use of this if you have Titanium retail distribution? Zero. The only ones who could stand to benefit from this are the same ones who don't have a licensed copy of Titanium. It's that simple.
I don't see the harm with this. This is directions to keep ONE directory of the game, instead of having multiple folders. EQ is playable on computers from 10 years ago. That computer may or may not have the hard drive space available in order to support multiple installs.

Could this be used to play eqemu without a supported install? Yes.
Does this post contain directions on where to download the mentioned files? No.

Knowing which files are needed at an absolute minimum would be essential in case a file was deleted inadvertently, without requiring a whole new install.

Agree or disagree, this is just information that the user has to choose to do something with. I have Titanium, SoF, and the SoD download from Steam. I still find this information valuable. It would be nice if it could be expanded to include all of these bases so that I can combine my 6 EQ folders (Live, Test, Beta, Titanium, SoF, SoD) into one folder.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:35 PM
pfyon
Discordant

It's also interesting to track what files have changed between expansions. Did you check the files using a diff program of sorts, or just note which files existed in one but not the other?
Old 04-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Taurinus
Hill Giant

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this matter. I just don't see the chance of a machine that can play current Live and not have enough space for 2 client installs. That's just me tho.

Sorry for my overly aggressive approach to the topic, but I do find it (the knowledge presented here) dubious. I admit that you are right in saying that it is the intent of the user, ultimately, that determines the use of this knowledge.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:59 PM
nano
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfyon View Post
It's also interesting to track what files have changed between expansions. Did you check the files using a diff program of sorts, or just note which files existed in one but not the other?
I didn't do a diff. This is just based on noticeable differences people have found between the Titanium, SoF and SoD clients. Here are some things I've noticed:

Code:
DIR RenderEffects\*
(This seems to effect character rendering, without the titanium version of this, characters appear solid black when using a titanium exe)

DIR uifiles\default\*
(Some UI elements change between expansions)

*.dll
(Some dlls change between clients and effect stuff like rendering I forget which dlls are essential and which can be left alone)

*.exe
(eqgame.exe obviously, not sure if the others have changed.  Don't need everquest.exe)

eqhost.txt
(changed for eqemulator login)

spells_en.txt
spells_us.txt
(this changes whenever spells are added or modified)

blackburrow_2_obj.s3d
freportn.xmi
freportn_chr.s3d
freportn_sndbnk.eff
freportn_sounds.eff
freportw.xmi
freportw_assets.txt
freportw_chr.s3d
freportw_sndbnk.eff
freportw_sounds.eff
nro.xmi
nro2_chr.s3d
nro_chr.s3d
nro_chr.txt
nro_obj2.s3d
nro_sndbnk.eff
nro_sounds.eff
oasis2_chr.s3d
oasis_2_obj.s3d
oasis_chr.s3d
oasis_chr.txt
oasis_sndbnk.eff
oasis_sounds.eff
rathemtn_chr2.s3d
soltemple_chr.s3d
soltemple_sndbnk.eff
soltemple_sounds.eff
sro_2_obj.s3d
sro_chr.s3d
sro_chr.txt
sro_sndbnk.eff
sro_sounds.eff
(absent in SoF and SoD clients, zones were revamped.  some mobs appear as default humans without these files)

highpass.s3d
highpass_chr.s3d
highpass_obj.s3d
highpass_sndbnk.eff
highpass_sounds.eff
(changed in SoF and SoD clients, zone was revamped.  this zone will NOT load correctly in SoF and SoD regardless, seems to be a hardcoded issue)

nektulos.eqg
(needs to be removed, zone was revamped. players will load under the world if server is using original nektulos)
Old 04-11-2010, 03:08 PM
nano
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurinus View Post
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this matter. I just don't see the chance of a machine that can play current Live and not have enough space for 2 client installs. That's just me tho.

Sorry for my overly aggressive approach to the topic, but I do find it (the knowledge presented here) dubious. I admit that you are right in saying that it is the intent of the user, ultimately, that determines the use of this knowledge.
I can understand your reaction though. I should have reworded my post more carefully. My intent is not so people can distribute files, but to at least cut down on clutter or fix problems with different clients. I have 8 different retail discs now and have about 6 different eq installs.

Having entirely different installs does make it simpler though like you said.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:43 PM
trevius
Developer

Guessing in order to use the 2 versions after switching with the batch file, you will still want 2 separate shortcuts (1 for each version). One potential problem I could see would be someone using the EQLive shortcut when they have their Titanium (or whatever expansion) files in place from this batch. That may cause some of their Titanium files to patch when it runs the everquest.exe instead of eqgame.exe by mistake. So, maybe if you don't move everquest.exe back when you move the Titanium files in. Might be best to just delete everquest.exe from the Titanium file set so you don't have to worry about it.

And yeah, this probably could be used illegally, but you would need to have the required Titanium files anyway, so it shouldn't really matter too much, as you have them already before doing any of this. I have EQLive, Titanium, SoF, SoD all installed and backups of most of them in 1 or more places throughout my hard drives lol. I know some people have space issues, so something like this might be useful for them. I don't see any problems with it being discussed or shared here. Thanks for sharing, nano.