Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:09 PM
Movement
Sarnak

Default Quest issue

So I have posted the following post originally at: http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/sho...285#post256285

But I am not getting a response from anyone, not sure if its a difficult issue and no one knows, or if that forum just has very low traffic and not many people have seen this post, so I am trying my luck here. I dont normally cross-post and I dont like to, so if this is against the rules I apologize in advance and will remove this post. The original post found at the link above is below, and I am hoping that someone can help me out here. The gist of it is I am having trouble getting a named PC that I have created to update the last step of a "TASK" to give the final reward. I have tried both event_death and event_death_complete. I have checked my SQL several times with regard to the NPC, the Task, the activity, and the drop to no avail. When you kill the NPC (as the last step) the activity is supposed to activate in the task and complete the task and give you the reward (item) on your cursor. But when you kill him nothing is happening. I suspect there is something I have overlooked, or my syntax is wrong, or some other issue I am unaware of. I am hoping someone can respond and give me insight to fix this so I can continue development of my server. Thanks in advance!

Original post in the Support: Windows Servers subforum:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Im running a quest (task). Lets say activity ID 273. The objective in this specific task is on the last step. The objective requires you to kill a specific named mob. I am killing the mob in question but the quest isnt updating. Can someone tell me (in LUA) what the function is for "on mob death update this objective"? This is what I have below in the [mob_name].lua file in the /quest/zone_name directory:

Code:

function event_death_complete(e)

e.other:UpdateTaskActivity(273,7,1);
end
end

Or give me a perl version?

Edit: I removed the .LUA version above and also tried a PERL version to no avail:

Code:

sub EVENT_DEATH {
quest::updatetaskactivity(273, 7,);
}

end code

Edit: I have spent about two days scouring the internet for a very good quest walkthrough but havent come across anything, I am more than willing to try some suggestions if anyone has a good source!

Thanks in advance!

Other steps I have tried to resolve this:

Google search (Of course!!)
Trying 3rd party "quest" programs such as: George's Quest tool
Pouring over code and info for LUA and Perl functions
Checked checked and re-checked my database for syntax errors...etc
Checked many posts on this site
Tried different combinations of perl/LUA commands/scripts

It should be added that I can manually (as a GM) force the game to update the database and task by typing the command in game. It updates the task and the task empties out/completes (although it doesnt give me the final reward, but thats a minor issue I can work on later). But killing the mob above will not cause the task to update for some reason.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:16 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Not a lot of people on the forums use LUA as their primary language.

You may try Discord:

https://github.com/EQEmu/Server#contact-

Folks on the PEQ team or anyone else with experience in LUA can help in the #scripting help channel
Old 11-08-2017, 04:38 PM
Movement
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkadius View Post
Not a lot of people on the forums use LUA as their primary language.

You may try Discord:

https://github.com/EQEmu/Server#contact-

Folks on the PEQ team or anyone else with experience in LUA can help in the #scripting help channel
Thanks for the quick response Akkadius, but I have also tried this in Perl to no avail. I can do it in perl or LUA, I just need to know what works.

Hell, if there was an easily readable/understandable tutorial somewhere that I could read on tasks (of this type) I would be more than happy to read them to try to teach myself, but for the most part I have only come across pages of code with no explanation as to what they do, and most of the time (90%) of the time its been unrelated scripts.

Normally I dont ask for help. I only ask for help as an utmost last resort. If anyone who knew how to fix this for me or tell me how to fix it myself were here standing in front of me, i'd PAY for that information. I know we all have lives outside of this and we dont have time to spend on here every moment of every day fixing everyones problems. Thats why I have been trying to be patient. But when I was getting home every night I was developing my server, and now - I just look at my PC and walk away. I am THAT frustrated. I know this is all me, I do - but it's who I am and I cant stand leaving loose ends. Especially when its my work I am talking about.

I am one of those "teach a man to fish and he will never go hungry" kind of guys. If someone could just point me to an online resource thats easily readable and understandable and covers what I am trying to do in either LUA or Perl I would be most gracious and you would probably never see me asking a question again! (I DID say "probably"! lol)

I will try the discord later, as I am on lunch now and dont have time to devote to talking about this on discord, so we will see where this goes.

I have a question for all server admins: Did you ever make a TASK where you kill an NPC as part of the task and it updated when the NPC died and completed the task? And if so, how did you do it? Is there a script already in the /Quest/ folder that I can use as a template? If so, where?
Old 11-08-2017, 05:59 PM
The_Beast
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movement View Post
Is there a script already in the /Quest/ folder that I can use as a template? If so, where?
I would have to go through all the scripts in all the zone folders, which I don't have time for right now. I might be able
to take a look through this shortly after new years, unless you find something yourself before then.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:00 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

PERL would be sub EVENT_DEATH_COMPLETE.

I can't remember if I ever attached a script to update a task.

It might be a problem with the actual task.....

Seeing as I used to use Task for Nagafen's lair until I found that QGLOBALS were a ton more efficient.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:30 AM
Movement
Sarnak

Ok... I found the problem and resolved it. And its nothing I was doing wrong. I am actually kind of pissed because I have been working on this crap for 4 days now and yet again I thought it was something on my end but instead it was a PEQ issue.

The problem is, in the mobs name that I am using to trigger the final reward of the "task" he has an apostrophe (') in the middle of his name.

I was totally bewildered as to why this wasnt working. So I made a NEW npc and set him as the quest objective. I made the new NPC's name as "TestMobOne". In the DB, in the perl script file.. everywhere.

I zoned in and got the quest, got to the last part where I had to "kill" my named to complete the task/activity. I spawned my newly created NPC and I got the activity complete dialogue and finished the quest as well as getting the reward like I normally should.

I was even more bewildered but at least since it worked for the very first time I had a glimmer of hope. After some more testing I found out the "bug" was in the mobs name!

As soon as I remove the apostrophe (') from my mobs name it worked with no issues!!!!!

I can have a hashtag in front of his name, underscores to signify "spaces" in the name (if you have a mob like Van Der Horff or something like that.. ie. Decaying_Skeleton>.etc) but as soon as you put that fucking apostrophe, everything comes to a screeching halt!

I had a similar issue like this with a quest in rivervale... The quest would "BUG" out if you put a hyphen (-) in the word Cazic-Thule as a link/keyword. as soon as I removed that fucking hyphen it worked perfectly!

So there seems to be an issue in PEQ with regard to having special characters (apostrophe's and hyphens) in mobs names or in quest links/keywords...

Can we please have a dev look into this because I dont want anyone else to waste their time chasing their tail like I did.