Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:37 PM
atrayas
Hill Giant

I was just reading through your rules and tbh they are very very strict...I wouldn't mind playing your server tbh but with all of those rules I probably never will. So many people will never read that stuff and slip up and break a rule and even the ones that have read through them would most likely slip up at some point.

IMO you guys could be much more successful if you eased up some on whats allowed and whats not allowed.

One of the biggest draws in the eqemu community are the servers that people can get on, relax and just have fun, not having to worry about some dev hell bent on banning you for simple stuff that isn't game breaking.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:47 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozium View Post
newer clients supported? won't let me log in using HoT
There is no HoT client.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:44 PM
Ozium
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonstar55 View Post
There is no HoT client.
picky picky ... ok UF with HoT files
Old 12-18-2015, 08:42 PM
burt6
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrayas View Post
I was just reading through your rules and tbh they are very very strict...I wouldn't mind playing your server tbh but with all of those rules I probably never will. So many people will never read that stuff and slip up and break a rule and even the ones that have read through them would most likely slip up at some point.

IMO you guys could be much more successful if you eased up some on whats allowed and whats not allowed.

One of the biggest draws in the eqemu community are the servers that people can get on, relax and just have fun, not having to worry about some dev hell bent on banning you for simple stuff that isn't game breaking.
Well i agree with you there and there are a lot of rules that I could do without also. having said that, bannings are incredibly rare and i can't think of anytime that bannings didn't have to do with someone actively cheating on the server by using macroquest or something like that.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:41 PM
Xabob
Discordant

Woah image sup man long time no see.

As for the rules and bannings and whatnot, the only bans that have ever stuck have been people actively cheating or doing malicious or nasty things to eachother.

I would like to point out at some point i was a total asshat got banned for mq2 made a big stink like a teenager does and woldaff still let me back. 9 times outa 10 if you break a rule you'll just get a warning and that 1 time outa 10 is someone cheating, content skipping, or repeatedly breaking a rule. Shards has to have one of the most forgiving staff i've ever encountered.
[12:38] <RangerDown> I watched Napoleon Dynamite the other day
[12:39] <Xabob> omg
[12:39] <Xabob> want me to shoot you now?
[12:39] <RangerDown> and the first words out of my mouth at the start were:
[12:39] <RangerDown> Hey I bet Rog looks like that

Old 12-20-2015, 07:22 PM
curtisbax
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozium View Post
newer clients supported? won't let me log in using HoT
I was also having trouble getting this running, just found this on their forums. Hope it helps!

https://shardsofdalaya.com/forum/thr...er-1-90.27712/
Old 12-20-2015, 08:05 PM
curtisbax
Fire Beetle

This worked for me actually with UF
https://shardsofdalaya.com/forum/thr...g-phase.28953/
Old 12-21-2015, 09:40 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonstar55 View Post
SoD developers are regular contributors to EQEmu and have been for awhile. (They probably wouldn't have made it to preferred if they weren't)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burt6 View Post
I am not the most knowledgable person about this, but.....
AFIAK, we have already been contributing for some time, Zaela has released like 10 tools for Eqemu and KLS has built LUA implementations are *maybe* part of EqEmu core now?

I know that we could not have gotten where we are without a lot of help from EQEmu folks who have helped us track down a lot of bugs and now that we are on similar platforms we are looking forward to a lot of future collaboration. We are all Nerds at heart that like talking about nerd things and comparing notes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by provocating View Post
I was about to say, I have seen KLS changes to the repository consistently even when we were on Google Code. I just never knew what server KLS worked for until now.
Thanks guys. I don't see a lot of what goes on behind the scenes. I just pray that whenever a big name steps into our little world that they help us make it better

I actually played on SoD a long LONG time ago, can't remember anything negative about it or why I quit (probably just one of my phases). I do remember even then there was a TON of custom content, the stat mod system, etc.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:22 AM
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabob View Post
Woah image sup man long time no see.

As for the rules and bannings and whatnot, the only bans that have ever stuck have been people actively cheating or doing malicious or nasty things to eachother.

I would like to point out at some point i was a total asshat got banned for mq2 made a big stink like a teenager does and woldaff still let me back. 9 times outa 10 if you break a rule you'll just get a warning and that 1 time outa 10 is someone cheating, content skipping, or repeatedly breaking a rule. Shards has to have one of the most forgiving staff i've ever encountered.

Haha I've been around, least for a few years now, where have you been?? I had a hiatus obviously for a mix of reasons, still try to use what little hobby time I got these days to do eqemu stuff
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:37 PM
microlo
Sarnak

Is there any way to allow rof2 to work for this?
Old 02-14-2016, 01:56 PM
nalbikk
Fire Beetle

I am a little confused as to how to connect through the eqemu server list. And exactly what clients are supported for connecting through eqemu?

Also, this is not a new server, so it already has an established population, correct? What will entice new players if the majority of the server is on end game content? Why not launch a new empty server for the eqemu community?
Old 02-14-2016, 04:01 PM
Splose
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalbikk View Post
I am a little confused as to how to connect through the eqemu server list. And exactly what clients are supported for connecting through eqemu?

Also, this is not a new server, so it already has an established population, correct? What will entice new players if the majority of the server is on end game content? Why not launch a new empty server for the eqemu community?
Probably because they value the community they've been building for 10+ years more?
Old 02-14-2016, 11:00 PM
burt6
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalbikk View Post

There are currently multiple progression guilds that are gearing up through the content with a no ringer policy. My bard is in one right now that is currently wiping to teir 2 content while i post this.

Also there are multiple avenues for new players to get their character(s) to higer teirs on their own, many through new mechanics that are unique to the server, such as treasure hunting and bounties.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:27 PM
nalbikk
Fire Beetle

I would first like to say this isn’t meant to disrespect SOD in any way. After looking at their forums and wiki it is obvious the amount of time and effort that has gone into the project. I would like to thank everyone who has volunteered their time. SOD looks like it has amazing potential for a fun gaming experience.

With that said, the question I perviously asked was a valid source of discussion. Why should a new player start on SOD, which is extremely top heavy?

I logged in a new character and of the 100 people online only 10 were under 50. So, low level characters are going to experience the exact same problems of other low population EQEmu servers. Looking at the interactive zone connection map on SOD’s wiki there are tons of places to go and things to do at low levels. But without groups, the accessible content for a solo or boxed character(s) will be limited.

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me that SOD is not the place for the casual player. There is no population to support players who enjoy the journey more than the destination. It is a grind to the top just to grind some more.

Are levels 1-65 obsolete and the Game doesn’t really start until end game? If, so ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt6
There are currently multiple progression guilds that are gearing up through the content with a no ringer policy. My bard is in one right now that is currently wiping to teir 2 content while i post this.

Also there are multiple avenues for new players to get their character(s) to higer teirs on their own, many through new mechanics that are unique to the server, such as treasure hunting and bounties.
This comment just reiterates my point. The raid tiers are end game, but what about the beginning.

I would still vote for a new empty server for the EQEmu community.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:51 PM
burt6
Fire Beetle

yes, this is more or less correct and I probably didn't understand where you were coming from. It is fairly easy to level up (most people box or start with a friend to 65) and I would say that 95% of the servers content is post 65.

pre-65 most of what you are doing is getting acclimated to the game mechanics and walking through the "main quest" and getting a lot of the servers extremely dense "lore"

A fresh 65 is basically a beginner character and a "progression guild" that raids a few times a week might take about a year to get to end game content (much of which has not been beaten yet by anyone) but there are solo progression options as well as content limited to a single group that provides alternate advancement options.