Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:22 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

You fall through when it's on a grid as I had feared you mean?
Old 01-31-2007, 07:45 AM
iamjooish2
Fire Beetle

I like killing/sapping/sinking the halas raft all the time.

Fun for the first 5 seconds. :(
Old 02-01-2007, 03:53 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

I'm tellin ya. There's a boat in Neraria's Landing you can get on, and it moves. Doesn't zone you, but it's a start. Also, someone mentioned a while back that setting the boat's "gender" makes you not fall through? Not sure if that was the setting.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:16 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Yep, John Adams is correct. Zoning is no problem, we use Perl. We'd have to anyway to help ensure that when you zone in there will still be a boat under you On Live if I remember the boat was a zone within a zone, so if you were a slow booter or crashed, you'd log back in on the "boat zone" no matter where it was. Obviously, we can't do that but we can setup delays and such...
Old 02-01-2007, 05:39 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

I can already see ways to enable zoning 1 player via perl - problem is, how to land many players on the boat, while it waits.
There would actually have to be another boat waiting at the Zin, that will not move for x-amount of time, give chance for all to zone. after that time is up, any players not zoned yet, get booted to the character screen, where they log into their starting point, thus the boat starts moving.
I don't think the reason why Sony stopped the boats because of players falling through - they stopped the boats because they were having major trouble keeping the FV boat and skiffs in sinc with the rest, including the oot boat. to a point where they decided it was not worth the trouble, as they were already making everything much easier for the rich, lazy players with the newer methods of transport.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:04 AM
mattmeck

talk with scorpious2k, he was the force behind he boat project last time, he may still have some of the work, or at least tell you there idea =)
Old 02-01-2007, 06:26 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

If we set up the paths so that we nearly always have a boat at the zone in points, even if it requires 4 or 6 ships I think that would help with most of the issues. We could use perl timers to regulate the spawning of a boat in the port zones, so even if Freeport is dynamic, when it boots it ticks off the 10 or 20 min whatever it was and then spawns the boat. Since there is always a boat at the OOT zone-in due to OOT's paths (OOT will prolly need to be static) we don't have to worry about players zoning into watery deaths. So the trick here is I think 1 boat in Freeport, BB, etc. But several in OOT.

EDIT: Just realized this didn't take in account players on their return trip into a port, but I still think this idea could work with some tweaking.

EDIT #2: We should take a look at the Mangos source and see how they do it. Yes, I know Mangos is a WoW emulator and much different then EQ but the theory of sending a ship through a zone while keeping players in mind should still be the same, right?

Last edited by cavedude; 02-01-2007 at 02:32 PM..
Old 02-01-2007, 06:53 AM
Richardo
Banned

I made a system that worked a long time ago. Not sure if you want to do it in perl but, it is plausible.

Here is a little ghetto and there are probably better ways of going at this but whatever... This is not a tutorial for people that dont know perl or how to write new functions which is why I didnt put it in tutorial section.

First..
we will use oasis for an example.

Spawn the boat in oasis and make the boat start away from the docks, create a grid that leads the boat at the docks and depart to a final waypoint which will stop for 30seconds.

Once the boat goes to the final waypoint which is at the edge of the sea, make a waypoint check in perl and on the check, make it set a proximity that teleports players to the coordinates of the boat in the next zone, and also make a timer on the waypoint check for 10 seconds and once the timer is up, use quest::depop(); and set the boattimer to however long it will take the second boat to dock and make its round trip.

Ok, here is the tricky part. On the second boat that players will spawn on, you must give it a proximity and when players enter the proximity, you will need to make it close the proximity and set a timer on the boat for 30 seconds giving players enough time to load through. After the 30second timer is up, make it join a grid that will go to the docks and then make the boat go to another edge of water and set another proximity that will teleport the players back to the boat on the oasis side. After the proximity is set, give it a 10 second timer and make it leave the waypoint causing the boat to wander back to its original spawnpoint. (It may not leave where you made it leave the grid so you might want to make it depop using quest::depop(); and give it a fast respawn time)

Anyhow, thats a hard and tedious way to redo boats, now if you have a better idea, please feel free to post your strategic idea below.

(ya I ripped this from an old post of mine.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedude
Yep, John Adams is correct. Zoning is no problem, we use Perl. We'd have to anyway to help ensure that when you zone in there will still be a boat under you On Live if I remember the boat was a zone within a zone, so if you were a slow booter or crashed, you'd log back in on the "boat zone" no matter where it was. Obviously, we can't do that but we can setup delays and such...
You can do that with hardcode or proximity.. Maybe after the boat leaves, spawn an invisible npc that creates a proximity that calls the boat quest, tells it to move the player to its x and y coordinate and give a reasonable z coordinate so the player falls on the boat in enough time to hit the boat and not miss it as it zooms beneath him/her. And if you crash.. well, I guess your screwed.. or create a perl function that checks for LD players within the proximity and checks the zone for the player to log back on and moves the player the same way as the slow zoner npc.

Ghetto? Perhaps.. Fixes the problem? Definately

Last edited by Richardo; 02-01-2007 at 03:04 PM..
Old 02-01-2007, 07:04 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardo
You can do that with hardcode or proximity.. Maybe after the boat leaves, spawn an invisible npc that creates a proximity that calls the boat quest, tells it to move the player to its x and y coordinate and give a reasonable z coordinate so the player falls on the boat in enough time to hit the boat and not miss it as it zooms beneath him/her. And if you crash.. well, I guess your screwed.. or create a perl function that checks for LD players within the proximity and checks the zone for the player to log back on and moves the player the same way as the slow zoner npc.

Ghetto? Perhaps.. Fixes the problem? Definately
That's a damn fine idea!
Old 02-01-2007, 12:33 PM
Richardo
Banned

And not too difficult. The only problem with using proximity in quests is that it doesn't detect players within range unless they move.. so it would require a few code changes. And by calls the quest boat, I meant use sub event_signal

Last edited by Richardo; 02-01-2007 at 08:35 PM..
Old 02-03-2007, 05:33 AM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

My approach, which I had working on our server before the boats changed, was simple. I made two kinds of ships... shuttles and cruisers.

From the player's point of view:

You get on the ship ( a shuttle ) , it takes you out into the ocean for a while, stops and waits. A second ship ( cruiser ) comes by and pulls along side. You get on and it takes you around. Eventually, it stops and another ship (shuttle) pulls along side and takes you to the dock.

In effect, shuttles moved to to/from docks and cruisers move you over the large bodies of water.

How it works:

You have ships that move and ships that are always in a known, static position.

You get on a moving ship and ride it until it zones you. You zone onto one of the static ships (so the zone point is static). The effect is that the ship you were on has stopped. The new zone's moving ship pulls along side and moves you around the zone. When you zone again, you end up on a static ship again, waiting for the moving one to pull along side.

Like I said, simple. Its all in the presentation to make the illusion work.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:47 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Were you able to use the SirensBane? (original Eq skiff)
Old 02-03-2007, 07:17 AM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelox
Were you able to use the SirensBane? (original Eq skiff)
As I recall, we did.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:38 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

was it pre- titanium? I'm just trying to figure out why the Skiff is fall through now - To me, all this is pointless without the original Skiff. I'm sort of a Retro-guy.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelox
was it pre- titanium? I'm just trying to figure out why the Skiff is fall through now - To me, all this is pointless without the original Skiff. I'm sort of a Retro-guy.
We did it pre-Discord. I think it was in GoD that they broke the ships.