Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:17 PM
morganpartee
Sarnak

i would love to have boats. and to have them to play with.

especially if you could make them part of a quest, and have a boat arena...

Im thinkin LAN PARTY!!! lol
Old 02-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Cripp
Discordant

i have a little boat system set up on my server in nro (old)...
i use the canoes, theres like 18 of them and u have to pay 10 gold or somethin to a little guy standing next to boat to get a ride to the other zone.. and u get a fun little ride.
it works perfect for what i want it for.. it will transport to another zone but havent decided on the zone yet.
heres the perl scripts for the boats/guy if anyone wants to see...
http://nug.cvs.sourceforge.net/nug/n...RL/Quests/nro/

/shrug

www.nugblazers.com
Old 02-11-2007, 09:56 AM
morganpartee
Sarnak

well...we need boats back. i wanna sail on the queen of thorns one day lol
Old 02-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

I think the problem is, clients like Titanium do not have complete data on the ships anymore. They just have some partial data left over from before. So we can do some things with what we have. SOE is not worried about ships , because they don't use them anymore - and if they do ever need, they just have to patch and update.
Even if we did get full, working ship, it would just be a "novelty" as no one would really want to use them all the time.
I could be wrong and the data could all be there - maybe just have to look harder.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:37 AM
ArChron
Fire Beetle

Working boats/ships would make all the PoK books go poof on my home server...

Not that the peeps at home would like it, but they have to learn what it was like "before"... They moan and groan about how long it takes to get places even using PoK books while I laugh and say "If you only knew... when was the last time you had a corpse run that really meant running? You're all a bunch of PoK-gatin mammas'boys"... That really gets 'em steamed...
Old 02-15-2007, 01:45 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArChron
Working boats/ships would make all the PoK books go poof on my home server...

Not that the peeps at home would like it, but they have to learn what it was like "before"... They moan and groan about how long it takes to get places even using PoK books while I laugh and say "If you only knew... when was the last time you had a corpse run that really meant running? You're all a bunch of PoK-gatin mammas'boys"... That really gets 'em steamed...
Lol, but really, this was all part of the game - these things were what made EQ. Even a trip from Gfay to Freeport was a major move, not to mention, you risked loosing your stuff if you couldn't get your corpse back. This put exitement, adventure into the game. And it was a true challenge.
All this work I've done; all the days/weeks I spent building LoY zones - took me days just to research/setup legendary characters like Bilge Farfathom and Quillmane. For what? It doesn't really matter anymore - these classic zones, are just sitting there, no use for them anymore, no one is interested. This is because the ability to level up to 65+ , ubber zones with common drops that contain unheard-of stats. Who wants to waste time doing the ogre head quests in Butcher? Who wants to quest the Raincaller bow or camp the Pearl Kedge Totem? It's pointless to do this with eras like PoP available. Stuff like PoP , is a whole new game, intended to make what you have obsolete so you'll buy it. A lot of people here appreciate what I did, but they are not the players, they are ones who start the servers - I wanted the players too, I wanted them to experience what I did, when I played live.
Some eras are not too bad; Kunark, Velious, LoY, etc - they can still keep the older zones with some value. What really hurts, is when you raise the characer-level cap and add higher-level zones.
What to do?
I already started; I'm working on a "classic" database. Blocked access to all zones but the classic zones , removed all PoK books, looking into things like bring the level cap to at most, 60. Slow down exp ratios, make plat scarce. But this is just a start - other things need to happen, these zones need to be challenging - all or most the quests need to be in place, and working, factions as on live, . Not really like "live" , because the mad rush to be like live, is what's killing all the work already done. It's really not of best interest to race with live, because SOE Corp does it for the money ( they don't care if no one plays in Unrest), and we just want to play. When Verant was in charge, he did it for the game too.
Every little detail has to be in place: Muddites in Beholders Maze blind you, not every freaking caster in the game! The npcs' spells have to be tweaked according to each npc, not just a big "blob" of spells that have every possible spell to the class.
I started this with ax_peq, but now I realize that there's more to it than just detailing the zones; There has to be a "balance" between all the zones you have available.
If you want PvP, or just Raid, only want high level zones, then this is not to your interest whats out now might work - or maybe what you really wanted is what Everquest Live is mostly become today: A giant,fancy "chat room" where users dress up like paper dolls and brag/show off their latest buy from Bazaar with plat they bought on the web.
So anyways. I started - it's no big deal, just work that needs to be done, sort of like a "data-entry" job but with no pay. I'll start with one zone at a time, and will not move to the next zone, untill the one I have is done.
The other zones are not eliminated, just blocked - so if anyone gets bored with what they have, they can always open up a compatible zone.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:58 AM
Sakrateri
Dragon

Amen to that Angel,

I fear the great game that EQ was is gone forever and any hope of seeing something close professionaly may be in Vanguard but I am leary to buy it. I was on beta and it seemed pretty good but Sony is involved now so I will stay my dollar and wait to see what develops from the evil empires take over of that game. Good luck on your endeavor with this and remember that in the end it only has to please you and no one else. I am working on the same thing myself of trying to get a game like EQ use to be going and only time will tell how its going to work out...lots of time lol.....Good luck !

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 08-27-2007, 03:32 PM
raisins4eyes
Fire Beetle

I am going to first say I am sorry for draging up an older thread. I have seen boats working in Shards of Dalaya. I am also trying to figure out how they are doing it. Of course I am only 2 weeks into the emu scene. If there has been someone to figure this out would you please post a link or post of how? I have searched and turned up empty. I might not be searching in the right place or something. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:50 PM
leslamarch
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisins4eyes View Post
I am going to first say I am sorry for draging up an older thread. I have seen boats working in Shards of Dalaya. I am also trying to figure out how they are doing it. Of course I am only 2 weeks into the emu scene. If there has been someone to figure this out would you please post a link or post of how? I have searched and turned up empty. I might not be searching in the right place or something. Thanks.
I;m pretty sure that Angelox's boats mostly if not all work, you should check out his database. Very well done if you ask me, Nice work.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:03 PM
TheLieka
Developer

I use the AX database on my server. The boats are actually translocators that activate when you step onto them. It works pretty damn well, and when you run up to the dock, a boat spawns and swings around. You always get that feeling that you just caught the boat.

I've had a lot of people bitch and moan about the fact the fact that there's no PoK, but I love it. It's like EQ when I left it. =)

Daxum

Former ServerOp - Vallon Zek / Tallon Zek Emu Server - Legit / Guild PvP - (2007 - 2011 RIP)
Old 08-30-2007, 09:31 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

I honestly cannot imagine a low population emulator without PoK. I am definitely one to long for the glory days, but without a few hundred folks around to carry my lazy ass around, gimme a port stone and book any day.

But, a genuine boat ride would be nice.

Long ago, I mentioned that there was a boat in Nedaria's Landing that works just fine. You can stand on it, it moves along a path, just doesn't zone you. But, as speculated in many other posts, it wouldn't be awfully hard to reproduce the illusion. You'd need static zones is all - ones that do not 'go to sleep'.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:16 PM
gernblan
Discordant

I've tried to get some boats working.. MY problem is that I do not know how to make them solid.

Please, can someone point me in the direction of ANY tutorial on how to make doors and objects solid?
Jest 4 Server
Linux (Jest3 runs on Fedora, our Dev servers usually run on Ubuntu and/or Gentoo), OC-12 Connection = Hella Fast
Old 08-31-2007, 05:14 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Again, I *think* the problem is, the boats were abandoned by SOE at one point during their expansion saga, and our clients have just remnants of what was there before. If you want to see what most you can get from boats, get my ax_classic DB and go to OOT, Iceclad (Iceclad boat works fine). Also, there are a few more places like BB, and FP. I almost had all of them more or less working as far as possible. Also, I posted my "client map files collection" at the Rathe Forums, so you can find where the boats dock and see how they move. There are a few places where you could make the boat run just as before because they are still solid (example, the boat from and to Overthere). But I chose to make something "quick" because I don't think players will really like a drug out ride in a boat. If the boats were all solid and I had a classic client, then I would get into it

The latest Expansions to Everquest have things like the BB boat solid and running again, but the boat is smaller and crappier looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gernblan View Post
I've tried to get some boats working.. MY problem is that I do not know how to make them solid.

Last edited by Angelox; 08-31-2007 at 03:04 PM..
Old 08-31-2007, 09:47 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gernblan View Post
Please, can someone point me in the direction of ANY tutorial on how to make doors and objects solid?
I read long ago it had something to do with Gender. Try messing with that. But it could also be exactly what Ax says... the current client (Titanium) may just not support them anymore.

Except for the thorn of tides damnit! Will no one read what I say and go LOOK at how it's working? lol... jesus.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:08 PM
gernblan
Discordant

I'll play with gender.

That still doesn't solve new doors added not being solid though.
Jest 4 Server
Linux (Jest3 runs on Fedora, our Dev servers usually run on Ubuntu and/or Gentoo), OC-12 Connection = Hella Fast