Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Tabasco
Discordant

My first step will probably be to set up a cmake build option. You chose a solid set of cross-platform libraries and it looks good so far.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:18 PM
PixelEngineer
Sarnak

Thank you. I have reduced most of the Windows specific functionality and will eliminate the rest when I get around to it. A bit of code is taken from various other projects and the way they handled fragments was a bit all over the place. Consider my work on textures in 0x03.cpp, 0x04.cpp, 0x05.cpp, 0x30.cpp and 0x31.cpp for a sample of what most of fragment handling will look like as I rewrite.

If you see any glaring errors, submit some changes and I will of course get around to reviewing them. Also, if I understand correctly you're looking to make it Linux compatible? Let me know how I go about doing this/helping to do this.

Cheers!
Old 12-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelEngineer View Post
Thank you. I have reduced most of the Windows specific functionality and will eliminate the rest when I get around to it. A bit of code is taken from various other projects and the way they handled fragments was a bit all over the place. Consider my work on textures in 0x03.cpp, 0x04.cpp, 0x05.cpp, 0x30.cpp and 0x31.cpp for a sample of what most of fragment handling will look like as I rewrite.

If you see any glaring errors, submit some changes and I will of course get around to reviewing them. Also, if I understand correctly you're looking to make it Linux compatible? Let me know how I go about doing this/helping to do this.

Cheers!
This is very good! I've got a great idea for creating new content: Why not a 3DS Max exporter plugin? You could have it build WLD files from scenes, and I believe 3DS Max already supports animations. Not sure how it handles BMP files but it should be trivial.

SOE already uses 3ds max for their animation files afaik.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:36 PM
PixelEngineer
Sarnak

As of now, the next time I have time (Friday), I will finish my rewrite of the PFS (S3D) extractor. It works fine for the most part but there are some weird issues and I think it might be related to this. Then, I will begin work on models and light and get them all working properly.

Those are just my 2 main objectives at this point but I don't have time for the next two days due to finals.

Cheers.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Vampire1212
Sarnak

I'd love to help out with this client. I'd personally like to do my own revamp of the classic zones by simply change textures, lighting not the graphics themselves.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:51 AM
PixelEngineer
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampire1212 View Post
I'd love to help out with this client. I'd personally like to do my own revamp of the classic zones by simply change textures, lighting not the graphics themselves.
Explain further. I am going to be implementing per pixel lighting which utilizes normal maps. Although I can generate them automatically via software, the higher resolution the texture, the better. If you are good at designing high resolution textures, give it a try. This was actually one of my eventual ideas.

Search for textures in the .s3d archive but if high resolution textures exist in an external directory, use them instead.

I am interested to know exactly what you mean.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:42 AM
Vampire1212
Sarnak

Quote:
Explain further. I am going to be implementing per pixel lighting which utilizes normal maps. Although I can generate them automatically via software, the higher resolution the texture, the better. If you are good at designing high resolution textures, give it a try. This was actually one of my eventual ideas.

Search for textures in the .s3d archive but if high resolution textures exist in an external directory, use them instead.

I am interested to know exactly what you mean.
Hey PixelEngineer, what I mean is exactly what you said, all high-res textures that make it seem more graphical when in reality we aren't changing the graphics themselves.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:47 AM
PixelEngineer
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampire1212 View Post
Hey PixelEngineer, what I mean is exactly what you said, all high-res textures that make it seem more graphical when in reality we aren't changing the graphics themselves.
Go ahead and PM me. I have a few ideas you might be able to help with.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:04 AM
PixelEngineer
Sarnak

Texture animation has been implemented:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XSFx...vDZfhrSHuAh39k

More progress to follow...

Cheers!
Old 01-17-2012, 02:13 AM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Texture animation has been implemented:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XSFx...vDZfhrSHuAh39k

More progress to follow...

Cheers!
That's pretty badass man. I give you props for all of that hard work.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:17 AM
PixelEngineer
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkadius View Post
That's pretty badass man. I give you props for all of that hard work.
Thank you! The real hardcore development is going to start as soon as I get everything stable. The original EverQuest developers made some very odd design choices and I have struggled to both understand and implement some of the more challenging ones. Every day I get closer to a much more solid code base and then the real fun development can begin.

Cheers!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Speedz
Hill Giant

This rocks, I have wanted this type of thing for years. But I never had the code know how to even grasp a start. Glad to see this taking off and having community backing.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:13 PM
PixelEngineer
Sarnak

Don't sell yourself short. I see you have written some programs in C#. Syntactically, it is not that different from C++. When I started writing the client, I couldn't write it either but i slowly learned and have learned an enormous amount. The link to the source is on the last page so take a look if you're interested.

Cheers!
Old 01-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Speedz
Hill Giant

Thanks for the vote of confidence I grabbed the source and now to get the time to look at it. My knowledge is pretty basic but getting better. Not too bad for no schooling or work environment in coding.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:36 AM
KLS
Administrator

Do you guys mind if I move this to Dev and perhaps sticky it? (I think it's cool and has actually shown some promise)