Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:07 PM
MarcusD
Banned

Interesting about unreal. I will keep that in mind. I don't buy the PR BS. Do you think if they dd use the unreal engine and dikumud code that they would tell anyone? lol that would destroy their entire company. I know how it works. Look at the history of linux and bsd and unix. That will tell you the truth of how things happen in the real world. They take unreal engine slap it on dikumud, jumble to code to hide their sources, then hire on people to make quests lol.

Quote:
EverQuest controversy[edit]
There was a minor controversy in late 1999 and early 2000 regarding whether the commercial MMORPG EverQuest, developed by Verant Interactive, had derived its code from DikuMUD.[18] It began at the Re:Game gaming conference in 1999, where the Director of Product Development for EverQuest, Bernard Yee, allegedly stated that EverQuest was "based on Dikumud". He did not specify whether he meant the code itself was derived from DikuMUD, or if it just had a similar feeling. Some attendees had understood it to mean the former and reported to that effect on Usenet.[19] After the Diku group requested clarification, Verant issued a sworn statement on March 17, 2000 that EverQuest was not based on DikuMUD source code, and was built from the ground up.[20][21] In response, the DikuMUD team publicly stated that they find no reason whatsoever to believe any of the rumors that EverQuest was derived from DikuMUD code.[22]
Old 10-13-2015, 12:13 PM
Shendare
Dragon

That... sounds again like a clear case of EQ being inspired by DikiMUD, and people misreading that 'based on' meant 'somehow got ahold of the source code'.

The 3D graphical nature of the game would likely have made a text MUD codebase transition even harder than building one from scratch, honestly. Height maps, 3D models, terrain, architecture, sound effects, animations for each and every race and gender, different textures for each one, item icons, item model graphics, water/fire animations, spell particle effects... None of those things would have come from a MUD.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:25 PM
Cilraaz
Sarnak

Unix and linux aren't at all equivalent to the source code of a game. 989 and its later spin-off Verant Interactive built the game from the ground up. In your own quote, the DikuMUD team even stated they didn't believe 989/VI stole their code.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:27 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusD View Post
Interesting about unreal. I will keep that in mind. I don't buy the PR BS. Do you think if they dd use the unreal engine and dikumud code that they would tell anyone? lol that would destroy their entire company. I know how it works. Look at the history of linux and bsd and unix. That will tell you the truth of how things happen in the real world. They take unreal engine slap it on dikumud, jumble to code to hide their sources, then hire on people to make quests lol.
If you would dig into the mechanics of Everquest and EqEmu you would understand your thinking is flawed. Dig in, get your feet wet before you jump to conclusions.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:32 PM
MarcusD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocating View Post
If you would dig into the mechanics of Everquest and EqEmu you would understand your thinking is flawed. Dig in, get your feet wet before you jump to conclusions.
Of course but I need to find the best direction before wasting thousands of hours and I feel very confident I have found that direction. I think what we all fell in love with wasn't eq, but rather dikumud. How about you read about diku's before jumping to conclusions yourself? http://www.raphkoster.com/2009/01/09/what-is-a-diku/

Quote:
Everquest was created by players of DikuMUDs (specifically Forgotten Realms ones — Sojourn, Toril, Duris), and even had the same wording for many server-generated messages (“it begins to rain,” which was completely superfluous for a 3d game!). It played so similarly to its inspirations that some wondered if it actually was a DikuMUD, with graphics added on.
We fell in love with DQMud
Old 10-13-2015, 12:54 PM
MarcusD
Banned

Check this quote out from that articles comments:

Quote:
Speaking of source code. The advice has been given in other threads to “download the source code if you want to understand it.” I did a while back (DIKU and a few others) and went through it, and found it very enlightening. It’s sort of astounding how simplistic it is.

I also created my own MUD server (CoffeeMud) on my dev box to mess around with it. Also very enlightening when it comes to understanding MUDs. I also found it a very useful tool for virtual world prototyping, because with a few sentences I could create a whole space, easily shuffle my virtual world around, add new paths (or remove them), add NPCs, interactive objects and so forth. No art required, and trivial to change a concept by just changing a text description.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:05 PM
provocating
Demi-God

I personally think Everquest today is running on foxpro with a standard foxpro backend. Probably still on a single core processor.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:10 PM
provocating
Demi-God

I mean when in a sworn statement that it is not based off the DikuMUD code you still think it is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DikuMU...st_controversy

EverQuest controversy

Quote:
There was a minor controversy in late 1999 and early 2000 regarding whether the commercial MMORPG EverQuest, developed by Verant Interactive, had derived its code from DikuMUD.[18] It began at the Re:Game gaming conference in 1999, where the Director of Product Development for EverQuest, Bernard Yee, allegedly stated that EverQuest was "based on Dikumud". He did not specify whether he meant the code itself was derived from DikuMUD, or if it just had a similar feeling. Some attendees had understood it to mean the former and reported to that effect on Usenet.[19] After the Diku group requested clarification, Verant issued a sworn statement on March 17, 2000 that EverQuest was not based on DikuMUD source code, and was built from the ground up.[20][21] In response, the DikuMUD team publicly stated that they find no reason whatsoever to believe any of the rumors that EverQuest was derived from DikuMUD code.[22
Old 10-13-2015, 06:25 PM
Caryatis
Dragon

This Marcus guy is going to get me banned again... so many posts, so little willpower to not shit them up!
Old 10-13-2015, 06:39 PM
Tyen05
Discordant

Quote:
So lets say EQ used dikumud's source code and then somehow through a gui onto it and blammo EQ was made.
Quote:
They take unreal engine slap it on dikumud, jumble to code to hide their sources, then hire on people to make quests
lulzd hard.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=idea%20man
Old 10-13-2015, 06:41 PM
Shendare
Dragon

I say we take a VW bus and throw some wings on it and -- BLAMMO! -- it's a space shuttle! Hehe.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:47 PM
Uleat
Developer

Hey! Some guy did that with an old impala and a JATO rocket

http://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1995-04.html

Compilin' Dirty
Old 10-13-2015, 07:05 PM
Tyen05
Discordant

@marcusD

http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/autism.htm
Old 10-13-2015, 09:15 PM
Drajor
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryatis View Post
This Marcus guy is going to get me banned again... so many posts, so little willpower to not shit them up!
Only hours ago in irc...
Quote:
<Drajor_> We *NEED* to bring Caryatis back to sort this mess out, he is our only hope
WB /popcorn
Old 10-13-2015, 09:27 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

There's 0 references to DikuMUD in early binaries of EQ.

Verant/989 used Sony Computer Entertainment's Tegra3D library for rendering and the UI was done in WinAPI (directdraw).