Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:08 PM
zalt00
Fire Beetle

Default C++ Runtime Error

Hi guys. Did a little searching around here and havent found anyone with this same problem. I downloaded Underfoot onto my laptop and it loads fine until the character select screen. I select enter world and the game crashes stating there was a C++ Runtime Error Abnormal Termination. I have ravaged google for a solution to this problem with no results. I have done most of the usual things to solve the problem, I set all privileges to administer, running as administer, running in compatability mode for windows xp service pack 2 (tried others as well, i am running windows 7) Tried downloading direct 9.0c, nothing. The only thing close to an answer that i found was a person with the same processor and problem AMD -50 processor I dont know if thats it. I am inclined to think its a resolution problem somehow conflicting with windows b/c when i set eq to a higher resolution it simply doesnt load and says memory cannot be found. If you know how to fix this problem or any advice im open please thanks.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:04 AM
provocating
Demi-God

Do me a favor and run the OptionsEditor.exe file in your Everquest directory, keep everything at default. Run the client and see if you can get into the game, then we can take it from there.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:16 AM
trevius
Developer

You might try switching to windowed mode as well either by using ALT+Enter or by editing your eqclient.ini file in your EQ folder. If you patched your client at all, that could be the issue too. You might want to verify your client version by reading this:

http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka...ClientVersions

If client version is correct, then I am curious where you got your version of UF. If you got it from Steam, it should work fine. If you got it from Amazon, then it won't. If you got it illegally, there is no way to know what the problem may be, and we don't support illegally attained clients here for that reason and others.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:22 AM
provocating
Demi-God

99% percent of the time that error you are getting is resolution related. Either out of graphical limits, refresh not matching.....something.

UF is definitely more forgiving that Titanium but honestly, you would have figured with this many expansions they would had gotten that handled by now

I still get graphic anomalies from time to time if I log in and out a few times on my client. Either the client gets mega laggy or I get some crazy vertex thing going on that makes the NPC's look like they are on an acid trip.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:42 AM
zalt00
Fire Beetle

Default thanks for replying

Did another fresh install of Underfoot curious to see if the problem would persist and indeed it is. I am downloading fresh from Steam. My eqclient is indeed correct after checking said link. I did open the OptionsEditor in my everquest folder and if by default you mean to have nothing selected then I left it at that and still with no results. Also my OptionsEditor displayed all options as Unknown String i'm sure thats probably a problem too but for now I just want to log on and play lol. I am still inclined to think its a resolution problem, for some reason only a few of the resolutions even load and for some reason this laptop is always trying to force EQ out of full screen mode. Example the brief moment when you select a server and before any loading begins it will try to put the game in a window. Hope some of this helps, any insight would be awesome.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:59 AM
zalt00
Fire Beetle

btw if it helps i am on a Toshiba Satellite, AMD C-50 processor, 3 gigs of RAM, Windows 7 Installed 64-bit. This is my GF's computer I would never game on a laptop personally but im determined to get everquest working on it. Originally just to mess around every once in awhile when im not at home but now im down right determined to get it working after countless hours on google reading everything from directx to the faults on the AMD C-50 processor, literally ive tried everything, im lost.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:30 AM
trevius
Developer

Some laptops require special CPU drivers for special multi-core CPUs they use. I am not sure if that is the case for you, but it may be.

In the meantime, I would suggest maybe looking into some of the toshiba downloads for your model of laptop. I don't know which model you have, but I found one with similar sounding stats and here are some examples of stuff you might want to check out:

Satellite C655D-S5200 Downloads
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...ily=1073768663

AMD Display Driver
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...ly=1073768663#

Conexant Audio Driver
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...ily=1073768663

It is also possible that it could be a sound card issue, so you might want to try disabling sound in your options editor before starting EQ or in your eqclient.ini. The reason you see the unknown string errors in your options editor is probably due to the UF client only having a partial dbstr_us.txt file which stores all of those strings. You can get a full file by following the missing UF files page in the wiki.

Also, remember that anytime you use the options editor you have to go through it, then exit EQ and restart EQ for the changes to save properly and take effect. Sometimes it is just a matter of making sure it sees your video card in the editor and selecting and saving that then restarting EQ.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:16 AM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalt00 View Post
OptionsEditor displayed all options as Unknown String i'm sure thats probably a problem too
That is indeed troubling. I have never run across that.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:26 AM
zalt00
Fire Beetle

optionseditor shows the options with the correctly after getting the proper dbstr_us.txt file like Trevius was stating.However I am still unable to sign in and crashing after character select screen. I am racking my brain and I am out of ideas if someone can please shed some light on this.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:54 AM
trevius
Developer

Did you try setting windowed mode to true in your eqclient.ini file? I don't have the exact config line you need here, but I can probably provide it here later if needed. If your issue is with resolutions, you should still be able to run fine with windowed mode on.

BTW, do you know the native resolution of your laptop display? Is it something unusual? Are you able to adjust it to older more standard resolutions like 1024X768 and see if that works? Normally if you can get it working in a standard resolution, you can play with it after and get it working in a normal resolution for you.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:27 AM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
Did you try setting windowed mode to true in your eqclient.ini file? I don't have the exact config line you need here, but I can probably provide it here later if needed. If your issue is with resolutions, you should still be able to run fine with windowed mode on.

BTW, do you know the native resolution of your laptop display? Is it something unusual? Are you able to adjust it to older more standard resolutions like 1024X768 and see if that works? Normally if you can get it working in a standard resolution, you can play with it after and get it working in a normal resolution for you.

WindowedMode=TRUE
Old 01-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Noport
Opcode Ninja

If Directx is installed on Windows xp copy d3dx9_30.dll put file in system,system32 directory in windows 7 then install Directx for windows 7.

I'm using a Dell E228WFP monitor with settings in eq VoA no problems.
[VideoMode]
Width=1680
Height=1050
FullscreenRefreshRate=0
FullscreenBitsPerPixel=32
WindowedWidth=1680
WindowedHeight=1050
Old 01-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Noport
Opcode Ninja

sorry forgot to add in post copy eqclient.ini to desktop make changes then copy back into eq. make sure FullscreenRefreshRate=0 is set to zero.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:37 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noport View Post
If Directx is installed on Windows xp copy d3dx9_30.dll
Although you will normally get an error about this missing file, maybe you are not and it could be causing your crash, make sure you have it.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:46 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

You should never copy random DLL files around from other installations. The DirectX installer is here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35

If you have the game installed under Program Files or Program Files (x86), move it somewhere else, like C:\EQ. It avoids all sorts of nonsense from the special permissions on those directories.