Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > OpenZone > Simple Client

Old 09-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

Default Make sure to bring your umbrella...

Because they're calling for rain in Veldona.

Stay tuned. I might be posting the new version tonight.

Wind

Edit: Turned on anti-aliasing for the rain drops...

Last edited by Windcatcher; 09-12-2007 at 10:26 PM..
Old 09-12-2007, 03:59 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

New version posted (just the EXE file)...

Rain and snow are visible (though not very much at night, I'm not sure if I want to change that or not).

Snow will now properly turn off.

Let me know what you all think

Wind
Old 09-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Teppen
Banned

Default ftp...

@Windcatcher:
so uh where is this ftp everyone is downloading from? i have tons of spare time to test for bugs. only thing i would be lacking is the delphi experience, as ive only coded in assembly, c++, perl, and QT4 for c++ gui's. I like the screenshots, and would like to run around and test for bugs and such, anyways, send me a pm if you find i can test this client out. I didnt see the post in time when you said for people to pm you for testing access. But im bored with alot of free time and would be able to test daily.

let me know.

-Teppen (eqemuforums)
-Senzo (peq quest team)
Old 09-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

New version posted to the closed beta FTP...

- Mob sizes should be fixed now.
- Re-uploaded Veldona.xwa...the door to MacGill's inn should appear now.
- Re-uploaded Windszone.xwa...added some small plants to make it look a little bit more interesting.
- Added some code to try to prevent rain from falling indoors. It's not perfect, but a definite improvement.
- Uploaded lelembeth.sql to the database area so door spawns can appear.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:16 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

A pic just for fun...

Old 09-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Teppen
Banned

Default ...

i take that as a no.. <shrugs>
Old 09-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

We're trying to keep the beta closed to mainly devs and certain zone builders at this time. The client is still pretty buggy, and we're trying to concentrate on both playability and getting it to handle whatever content people create. We also don't yet have a patcher mechanism in place and don't have any way to control what versions people run (there isn't even a versioning scheme in place yet). Also, since I'm the only one working on it, I really can't handle getting bug reports from the entire community, though it does mean that I need the people who are testing it to make sure to send me feedback. It's a balancing act, but for all of these reasons we're keeping it fairly restricted at this time. I post pics and progress info for the benefit of the community at large so you can at least see that we're making progress. That's not to say that I don't need help, especially when it comes to things like mob models and spells, (and especially a good patcher we can use), but at this time I think we have enough testers. Of course, if people stop sending me feedback, I reserve the right to invite more testers, though.

Last edited by Windcatcher; 09-16-2007 at 01:39 AM..
Old 09-16-2007, 06:08 AM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

Yet another version posted:

- Added auto-attack on and off messages.
- The merchant/loot/bank/training windows will close if you walk away from the mob.
- Made numerous refinements to swimming. It still doesn't take your swimming skill into account for calculating swimming speed, but otherwise it should be much better now.
- Relogging will clear the chat window.
- Uploaded a new eq55sc.sql file to the database area, it fixes some problems with the merchants in front of the big tower and adds a bunch of skeleton spawns in windszone and lelembeth (and a spectre or two in veldona)

Updated files:
- gametext.xml
- clientdata.xml
- simpleclient.exe
- eq55sc.sql (in the database area)

Last edited by Windcatcher; 09-16-2007 at 02:22 PM..
Old 09-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

Default Hmmm....where could this be?

You'll have to explore to find out.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Teppen
Banned

@Windcatcher

ah, i guess ill stop downloading openzone versions then until simpleclient goes public, been creating zones, and some other custom content with your openzone editors. plus i was curious of how the simpleclient handled.

just curious, but could you post what you would like to see in a patcher? features and such? I could code one however, the guts would be c++ and the eye candy would be using the latest QT4.3.2. but like always, im just talking shop.

Im actually in process (since i have alot of extra time nowdays) of coding an all in one editor which consists of items, npcs, recipes and quest editors. Eventually, hoping to expand to other editing areas. Making the quest editor so it will be easy for any dev to quickly make quests using a drag and drop quest text feature from a list of current quest commands. At the moment every visible text of the editor is translation aware, and in future public builds it will use dynamic language switching, which i believe will greatly help the eqemu community like those who are from france, and korea whose native language is not english. Like simpleclient, this editor is still under private builds, not as stable yet as Im wanting it to be, but its getting there. The bigest problem is getting drag and drop to work flawlessly without minor errors, but its coming along slowly, just a matter of creating layouts per perl command. I actually was tossing around the idea of coding a client for eqemu awhile ago, but im limited in 3d programming so I never started it lol.

oh well, back to coding. so very bored.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:32 AM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

I don't really know anything about patchers, but I guess we need it to d/l a file from a location with filenames and crc's, check for those files locally, and download anything that isn't there or has a crc mismatch. We would also need something at the server end to (re)generate the list on command. But as I said, I don't know anything about patchers so someone else probably has a better idea. It has to run under Windows, though if it runs on more than that it's up to you.

Even though the beta is closed there's nothing stopping you from making zones. If you have a live client you can test them with that as well, just overwrite an existing zone. OpenZone and SimpleClient use the same engines, though, so except for extra details like the UI, sun, moon, stars, fog, lighting, etc., they will look very similar in OpenZone as they will in SC.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:12 AM
Teppen
Banned

@ Windcatcher

One approach would be to code a patch server which has a list that is checked when the client version of the patcher connects looking for updates, if the timestamp of files on server is newer than what is in users everquest directory then client patcher downloads the newer files from the patch server. Im sure there are several ways to create a patching system, I do believe that someone had already posted a windows patcher in forums, been awhile like a year or so.. posters name was corfuben or something like that, if that forum link doesnt work, i can take a stab at coding one.

Porting it to different systems is very simple with c++ and QT, because no changes need to be made to the source code by you, you just choose an option when compiling the source. So when I compile the editor im working on I do a qmake -Unix followed by a make, and tada it works on my OpenBSD system, or if I wanted to use on my Windows machine just use -Win32. Its just my preference, because not everyone on here has windows as their standard machine.

might want to browse forums for corfubens patcher.. cant remember if it was open source or not.. but i believe he coded his in visual basic. cant remember really. touch bases with me later.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

Yeah I talked with him on IRC a few days ago. He's working on a rewrite, so maybe the thing to do is wait to see what he comes up with.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teppen View Post
guess im not worthy enough to code the simplePatcher or be a dev in your little beta click. think ill just stay on the peq team (where any coders and devs are welcome). I signed up here back in 2002 just like you, was member of hackerquest before eqemulator even existed, and yet you take in people who joined in 2005, 2006, etc, but not someone who has been here as long as you? that alone is a slap in the face. i wont download something after i offer a hand (in coding or development) to help a project and someone slaps it away. best wishes on your project, me and my 15+ years of programming applications will go elsewhere. this is my last post on this thread so dont bother even posting a counter to my post.

no offense to other devs on the "closed" beta simpleClient project, guess there was a time limit on dev applications which is sad.

good day to you sir !
WTF?

Since when did I ever give anyone the indication that involvement with SimpleClient involves some sort of seniority-based pecking order? Since when did I give the impression that length-of-stay in this community grants one the right to test anything I produce? Since when does length-of-stay mean anything to me? Now do we really want to talk about childishness? "I've been here longer than THOSE people!" Good grief. Cry me a river. I believe in rewarding based on merit, not seniority (and since when am I obligated to reward anyone? Since when do you even need me to do it?)

And, for that matter, since when did I slap anyone in the face? Since when am I the gatekeeper for contributing anything toward the client effort? If you want to write a patcher, then write one -- it's not as if I can stop you, and, to be blunt, it's not as if I care one way or the other whether you do so or not. I'm not obligated to respond one way or the other (and, believe it or not, I do have other activities that consume my time outside EQEmu). Frankly, I'm getting a bit tired of trying to motivate everyone I come across; sometimes I like to sit back and see if people can motivate themselves to contribute.

Sheesh.

By the way, you're not the only one working on a patcher -- maybe, just MAYBE, mind you, I didn't BEG you to write one because I didn't want you to waste your time. Maybe I wanted to wait to see what the other effort would produce, as I'm led to believe it's much farther along. We do need a patcher, but we don't need *two*. I've deliberately washed my hands of the patcher effort, save to point out that one is needed. I don't recall signing myself up as the manager of the SiimpleClient Patcher Project. Feel free to nominate yourself, and more power to you. I'm not God on these forums, never was, and I don't wish to be. Frankly, I'm pretty darned surprised that you're angry that I didn't give you my blessing. One, I'm not obligated to do so, and two, you don't need one from me in the first place!

The beta is closed for several reasons. The reasons are completely arbitrary, decided by me. When you write a client, then you can set your own rules. I want the testing closed to:

1. Control bug submissions. A small team of dedicated testers is simply easier for me to work with. The LAST thing I need is tons of people reporting the same bug over and over. If someone wants to design an entire website with automated bug-handling features, and administer it, then we can talk about opening the testing process up. As long as I'm a one-man band, this is the way it has to be.

2. Hopefully better protect test servers. I don't need teenage hackers trying to take down beta-test servers because they're sexually frustrated, and the people hosting testing servers for me surely don't need it. The client is simply not ready for a hostile environment yet. Testing has barely begun, and as far as I can tell, it's focused entirely on gameplay so far.

3. Better focus the testing. SimpleClient is all about customization, so I want to make sure that serious zone builders are able to test with it. This doesn't mean everyone who has downloaded OpenZone, but those who in my capricious opinion have demonstrated both the ability and dedication to create zones that people will actually want to play in (read: zones that server operators will use once everything goes live).

For those of you who want to build zones but aren't testing the client, it's not an insult -- we need to keep the testers to a reasonable level and I picked a few. My choices are arbitrary and capricious -- go sailing for a week and you'll see what I mean. I want to see the client improve and go live, but it means that I need it tested in such a way that I'm not overwhelmed by the process. I wrote it, and as far as I'm concerned, it's my right to choose who I let play with it. So I picked some people with whom I'm familiar. If someone comes along and asks to test it, I might add him or I might not. There are no rules -- I simply make a judgment call based on whether I think it would be a good idea. Nothing personal, whatsoever. You don't know me, so don't pretend to. I have less tolerance than most for childish games and I don't play them. Is this process perfect? Hell, no, but we're all doing this in our spare time and I have no right to complain. Neither does anyone else, in my opinion.

EDIT: If someone has a better idea for a testing process, I'm all ears. Please propose one. As long as it doesn't require administration on my part, I'm open to suggestions. If someone simply wants to complain, "your process is teh suk!", then I can't help you.

Last edited by Windcatcher; 09-27-2007 at 08:28 PM..
Old 09-27-2007, 10:20 PM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

OMG!!! KHAN!!!

So good to see you back!

We need to talk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaN View Post
I think you totally misunderstood WC ... he is not against a patcher for SimpleClient (And i will add having a 'real' patcher would be nice), he is just saying he doesnt have the time to code one~

Again, a real patcher that wouldnt require an exe to run on server (using timestamp for example) would be a really nice add to simpleclient, now, to code one, it doesnt require simpleclient exe or files :p
I think you would want to use CRC instead of timestamps, unless the patcher sets the timestamp on the client side. I have seen them be a little different for the same version of the program before.