Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:29 PM
JPowers
Fire Beetle

Thumbs up A GM/Guide Application for Servers

I am tired of playing EverQuest for the sake of playing the game. I want to help people now, please see below my arbitrary application to help out.
  • The position I am applying for: I am looking for a server with moderate to great population that has need of a non-player GM/Guide to assist with the in-game operations of the server. I do not want a player account nor do I want access to one, as stated before I want to play a 'new game' and my aspirations are to play as a GM/Guide and help, as that sounds very fun to me.
  • My experience: I have helped out on a few servers a year or so ago, doing world building for custom content and I have dipped a heavy hand into Perl quest coding. I am not a master at Perl but can get very efficient if it's something that's needed. I (real life) do technical support and other marketing type positions at a marketing company and know a lot about MySQL and server administration.
  • Microphone: Yes.
  • Time able to devote: I have a lot of spare time to devote as I hope to make this my 'game' to play. My normal hang out online time is 5 hours daily (or more) and most weekends.
  • Quirks: I am getting married in February (8th) and will have to be MIA for a few days. Our honeymoon is pending but I can provide that information when I get it.
  • Strength: I do lots of customer support in real life, so I don't have a large temper, I get angry sure, but it's at logical things and not because someone is insulting or angry at me. Educated and smart.
  • Weakness: Loving too hard and being too strong.*
  • Knowledge of the game: I started playing EQ in early 2000, raided and grouped through every single zone in the game and can traverse most of this content without a map. I have played every class to 80+ and have a EQLive account with many level 95 characters (though the cap is now Lv100). I only log into live now to mess around with old content encounters. I have a very fond appreciation for the Tower of Frozen Shadows. I have played nearly all other MMO games, excluding WOW.
  • Other Skills: I am a graphical designer and work fluently in Photoshop and After effects. I know XHTML, CSS and many other web based codes, I am not fluent in the C series but understand their concepts and can apply them aptly. I teach myself using Google and other tutorials. I am also fluent in website creation using WordPress.
  • How to contact me: PM me here (I'm alerted in my email)

*I disagree with agreeing that weakness can be ever present.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:13 AM
jakaleca
Fire Beetle

Hope that a couple of the newer servers see this and contact you. I've noticed a trend for GMs to get spoiled over time on various servers; from So-called "Solo" servers to virtual "Re-Creations" type servers.

Unless you plan on strictly answering petitions, breaking up camp-fights, changing vulgar names, and/or marrying couples ingame, you might need a junk-player account just to verify player reported bugs.

Good luck~
Old 01-29-2014, 10:07 PM
EqEmuSoloist
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakaleca View Post
Hope that a couple of the newer servers see this and contact you. I've noticed a trend for GMs to get spoiled over time on various servers; from So-called "Solo" servers to virtual "Re-Creations" type servers.

Unless you plan on strictly answering petitions, breaking up camp-fights, changing vulgar names, and/or marrying couples ingame, you might need a junk-player account just to verify player reported bugs.

Good luck~
Thank you. As you can see I actually entered into a dying server in which the awesomely educated server administrator (very talented, Furniture) was about to have to shut off his server due to real-life things.

I decided to make it my project and let him see his server survive the trials of time and did a ton of work, and now I'm learning all about servers. We got donations that allowed us to set up on a virtual machine hosted by NFOservers and even a TS3 server.

It's been a long ride, and some of the players got pretty angry with me for making so many changes in such a short amount of time, but we're seeing pretty steady population day-in day-out and the website's rocking for only being online perhaps 4 days. (http://thevengefulsoloist.com/community/index.php)

Not too shabby! We had to wipe the server :( because of some very big issues with players having GM items (lol), and various other things, such as me being a complete admin noob and releasing content too quickly.

We're now reverted to a 100% vanilla server (with some perks of Underfoot and maps, autofire, melody ect ect)

A very long story short, I found a home, and though 3 or 4 players were disappointed (vehemently) about all the changes and the wipe, I feel there's now a long life to be had here.

Also, getting married very soon! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 01-30-2014, 08:18 PM
jakaleca
Fire Beetle

Congratulations to you! Thanks for sharing. =^)