Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:08 PM
nenelan
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediembr View Post
In my honest opinion a max of 2, maybe 3 should be allowed if the server population is low.
In my honest opinion, it's up the the developer(s)/owner(s) of each individual server, ya'know, the people putting the time and effort in to it. They may entertain notions and discussions of changing that if presented to them, especially if presented in a clear, concise and coherent manner.

I hate to hit that horse one more time, but if your ideal server isn't out there, there's no better time than now to learn the skills necessary to host your own.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:02 PM
sorvani
Dragon

It is also not all that hard anymore.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:11 AM
Faheemkhan
Banned

Great information. Very useful to me. Actually I was searching the same since many days. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:50 PM
jakaleca
Fire Beetle

heh just ran a toon up a couple levels for no reason on Dragons of Mist; limit one Account per IP-- Permanently? I evidently can't even create an alt on another of my own login accounts, and wife can't log in at all. I read what you say, Provo, but- if that isn't openly hostile to players, there's no such thing.

What a shame too.

A $20,000.00 12x Core Dual Xeon 74GB 20TB dual Raid 10 enormous Lian Li encased server... on a standard household cable line... for a cap of 14 players?

I guess that may be nature's way of saying "you have too much money"...

Among other things.

Thanks anyway, Provocating!

Good luck to you.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:01 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakaleca View Post
heh just ran a toon up a couple levels for no reason on Dragons of Mist; limit one Account per IP-- Permanently? I evidently can't even create an alt on another of my own login accounts, and wife can't log in at all. I read what you say, Provo, but- if that isn't openly hostile to players, there's no such thing.

A $20,000.00 12x Core Dual Xeon 74GB 20TB dual Raid 10 enormous Lian Li encased server... on a standard household cable line... for a cap of 14 players?

I guess that may be nature's way of saying "you have too much money"...

Among other things.

Thanks anyway, Provocating!

Good luck to you.
Well you never contacted me about it to see if there was actually a problem. Dragons of Mist [HC] is openly two connections right now, on the first server though I ask people to message me for that second account.

I definitely do not have 20k in that server, if I had purchased something like a Dell or HP then yeah I probably would have that much in it. Plus the server does way more than host the game servers. I also store my customer backups, do developmental work for multiple personal clients on it. If I do a lot of work for a client and get a large check, I may put some of that money back into the server.

Of the two options, not having money to put into the server...or having the money to put into the server I will take the second option. It does not hurt my feelings that I do not have a large draw of players. As long as I have a world for me to play in, that is all that matters to me.

I am sorry you did not like the experience though, but my server is not for everyone.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:36 PM
jakaleca
Fire Beetle

Sir, I actually admire your work greatly, and am a little surprised you aren't a green server yet. My stab at humor about the tremendous hardware you operate has missed badly, for which I humbly apologize. You indeed have a state of the art machine which must make others every bit as envious as it does me my crew.

And as we've said before, here and elsewhere, we simply move on when we find such restrictions.

Best wishes.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:49 PM
provocating
Demi-God

As I said, if you need things changed on the main server, it is an easy adjustment for your account. Either way, my feelings do not get hurt that easily. My server is definitely not for everyone.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:46 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

+1 for no boxing allowed servers
Old 02-09-2014, 03:37 AM
physxguy15
Fire Beetle

I used to 5 box on some servers, got to some of the highest tiers on them. I hated it. Other servers need 15+ people to raid, to make those server anti-boxing is ridiculous, people would be stuck on the first tiers forever. TBH, some servers need to rebalance raids, needing 20+ people is ridiculous, having 20 unique accounts would take forever to organize and progress through. People need to be able to do stuff in game solo or small groups, I'd really love to see admins allow more bot usage. Let the people play, I'd much rather manage a group of bots than deal with a bunch of macros and 5-6 instances of EQ.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:51 PM
zeldik
Sarnak

P99 is so popular because it is single characters and forces the bond that EQ used to bring to other people, if requested they do grant an IP Exemption however I think if a NEW Progression style server was introduced that didnt stay in expansions for years on end and even only allowed 1 IP limit it would still be a hugh hit I mean P99 stays 900-1400 ish population most every evening.

As for Boxing about every single server Ive been on with the exception of 2-3 out of all of them allows boxing of 3 or more most being unlimited.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:52 PM
Davood
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordfate View Post
It seems like so many recent servers are 100% against boxing. The thought process seems to be that if players play multiple characters then they won't be willing to group with other players and the server will die.

What's actually happened is that none of these anti-boxing servers is doing well because they post such low numbers day after day. They intentionally drive away players like myself that enjoy boxing 4 at a time.

I rarely group, true, but I also never play on servers that only allow 1 or 2 characters per IP. I flat out refuse to play on those servers because they are not fun.

Do you think Sony designed their servers to only support players with 1-2 characters? Hell no!!! They wanted as many accounts as possible logged in all the time. They catered to players of all styles. So stop narrowing your user bases and you'll have much more success.

Lately, there are so few innovative servers. The few that are innovative seem dead set against players that box. But we aren't a plague. We don't destroy servers. In fact, we help make them popular.

Do you think any server made it to Legends or Preferred by having 5 people logged in at a time? God no!

So please make your servers supportive of multi-boxers. We aren't evil, we don't destroy servers. We're dedicated players that are bored with the idea of playing just 1 or 2 characters. Seriously, it's boring as shit...

If you want your server to have a chance of being successful, don't hate on boxers. We're players too.
Try Alakamin sometime... i dont have a boxing limit . I think I used to.. but it didn't make sense after a while

tiers 1 to 3 are insanely hard and most of the tiers after 15 through to 30 are really really hard unless you group / box / bot it up
Old 03-19-2014, 06:56 PM
Davood
Discordant

I think about 2 people made it to tier 30 on my server (one was a boxer the other was a botter) and at least 2-3 people are somewhere between tier 20 and 24, and there are like 50-100 people somewhere between tier 7 and 20, and hundreds of people who are in tiers 1-7

ill make some auto statistics later when i have time for eqemu again