Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Old 06-22-2019, 03:57 PM
Fluff
Fire Beetle

Default Perl quest text is symbols and boxes

Hey,

I installed a local server on a Linux Ubuntu 19.04 server running on a virtual machine. After a couple minor changes needed to the config, it is working great. My problem is, when I hail characters, instead of responding as expected, the response is a string of symbols and little boxes. Uleat mentioned on my other thread this might have something to do with how perl is installed on my distribution (and I didn't install it, the script did). Reference: http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42501

I know very little about Perl and I haven't used it for a long time so I was hoping before I need to dig in and figure it out myself that someone more experienced knows what to do? In looking at one of the npcs quest scripts, I can see it is the quest say() dialogs that are scrambled. The pop up boxes appear normal. The npc will also respond to my saying the trigger words, however the same behavior occurs, pop ups good, say dialog is boxes and symbols.

Any thoughts on where to dig? Thanks
Old 06-22-2019, 04:07 PM
Uleat
Developer

The issue with the wrong version of perl would not be related to the script installed version - that should be correct.

Rather, possibly, another version of perl already installed on your system and is being defaulted to.

I'll look around and see if I can find any references to that and post back if I find anything.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 06-26-2019, 07:39 PM
Fluff
Fire Beetle

In case anyone is looking at this in the future, it was Ubuntu 19.x and not perl that was the problem. Going back to 18.04 worked fine.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:25 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

This has been reportedly happening in later versions of Ubuntu, does anyone have any screenshots of this?

It's on my list to take a look
Old 07-10-2019, 01:11 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

This should be fixed on master