Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:00 PM
Thumm1n
Fire Beetle

Default ROF2 Client for Mac OS X - Wine Wrapped

Hello!

I was playing last summer and I stumbled on a small, but well established server which had a page on its wiki (or maybe forums) with links to ROF2 client downloads - it also had a pre-wrapped, ready to go ROF2 client for Mac OS X.

It worked like a charm, and I was able to play on many servers with it just fine. and it ran much better natively than via a virtual machine.

Unfortunately I wiped the hard drive it was on, and for the life of me cannot remember the name of the server.

I've gone through the current list of Emu servers, and cannot see it anywhere - so I'm not sure if server has gone or got rid of the wine wrap or....

Anyway, posting in hope that someone might know what I'm talking about!

Thanks,
Thu
Old 01-07-2019, 11:15 AM
p4ndepravity
Fire Beetle

Default bump

is this still a thing? is anyone currently able to run the rof2 client on a mac?
Old 01-07-2019, 03:15 PM
Thumm1n
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4ndepravity View Post
is this still a thing? is anyone currently able to run the rof2 client on a mac?
I never did find or get any info back re: this.

There was definitely a wine wrap for ROF2 around, so maybe its just nobody that frequents these forums that has one. If someone understood Wine better than I, then they could probably create one.

As I mentioned, it use to run real smooth for me.

Instead I ended up having to run a Windows Virtual Machine with VMWare and run the game like that, which isn't very efficient.

Let me know if you have any luck!!
Old 01-07-2019, 04:16 PM
p4ndepravity
Fire Beetle

i just got mine running today. followed this: https://imgur.com/a/F8arA
basically, it came down to needing directx9 in wine for me. i also had to use the mac driver instead of x11 in screen options.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:33 PM
Thumm1n
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4ndepravity View Post
i just got mine running today. followed this: https://imgur.com/a/F8arA
basically, it came down to needing directx9 in wine for me. i also had to use the mac driver instead of x11 in screen options.
Great!

I'm DL'ing a copy of ROF2 this evening, and will see if I can get it to work tomorrow!

Next, can you figure a way to get MQ2 to work? Haha

Thanks,
Thu
Old 01-07-2019, 07:41 PM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

<-- Xackery btw, funny how often people refer that posting.

With Mojave I ended up having some headaches with my old instructionals, I now just use wine installed via brew and run winetricks from commandline to start the ROF2 client.

I need to look through my logs, someone mentioned there's a specific version of the wine engine for wineskin to work I think was the potential fix, if I find it I'll update my imgur guide.

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com
Old 01-08-2019, 03:47 AM
Thumm1n
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Noir View Post
With Mojave I ended up having some headaches with my old instructionals, I now just use wine installed via brew and run winetricks from commandline to start the ROF2 client.
Well following your Imgur post, I actually managed to get it running with the above mentioned change to mac driver from X11, but it only seems to work from 'Run Test' in Wine options, I can't click on the wine wrapper .app.

I'm really not too savvy with code and command promts etc, is your current fix simple to do?

Mojave is a nightmare for me, my macbook pro has an Nvidia gfx card, and they're unable to make drivers anymore.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:59 AM
jsgropp
Fire Beetle

I'm so happy this thread is getting some action now! I've been wondering about this for a while. I used the Imgur guide and got it up and running, but it seemed buggy, and then it stopped working altogether for me. I'm not sure why. Is it possible for someone with a tested working Wine to compress it and post it somewhere to download? I've seen that done before. If not, I will also try to build it from the ground up. Thanks, everyone!
Old 01-08-2019, 04:11 AM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

For fun I tried MQ2 and EQBC:

so with wine you can get the whole environment working, just FYI

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com
Old 01-08-2019, 04:13 AM
Thumm1n
Fire Beetle

I'm impressed!
Old 01-11-2019, 12:09 PM
p4ndepravity
Fire Beetle

Quote:
For fun I tried MQ2 and EQBC:
https://i.imgur.com/ueAJLC2.png

so with wine you can get the whole environment working, just FYI
did you make a .bat to run both mq2 and eq on the same vm? what did you use to startup both exes?
Old 01-08-2019, 04:30 AM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

There's a few top results when you search for "Wineskin Mojave" similar to this: http://portingteam.com/topic/11074-w...ezes-your-mac/

The downloads section seems to be outdated - http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tik...page=Downloads

and their forums haven't had any postings since january 2018.. so.. hmm.

The process of running CLI isn't as easy as the wine wrapper, though. I may write a tutorial on how to do it if I can find some time, but replying just to let folks know.

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com
Old 01-08-2019, 08:09 AM
Thumm1n
Fire Beetle

Quote:
There's a few top results when you search for "Wineskin Mojave" similar to this: http://portingteam.com/topic/11074-w...ezes-your-mac/

I went ahead and read through this post a little, and seems the guys there have an unofficial version of Wineskin which has been updated for Mojave and seems stable according to them.

I started from scratch and created a wrapper, they have different engines available, so I thought it might work, but still no luck unfortunately.

It's odd, the very first time I tried it with your original instructions, and I did a Test Run, it opened up fine, I was able to log in and play. I logged out, and since then every time I attempt to Test Run again, I get an error saying the 'Wrapper is already running'.

If I try to run the wrapper from the .app I just get an os x error saying 'This application cannot be opened'.

Anyway, maybe best I don't get sucked back into wasting hours playing everquest haha
Old 01-11-2019, 01:02 AM
jsgropp
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumm1n View Post
It's odd, the very first time I tried it with your original instructions, and I did a Test Run, it opened up fine, I was able to log in and play. I logged out, and since then every time I attempt to Test Run again, I get an error saying the 'Wrapper is already running'.
Has anyone else had any luck? I tried the same install and have essentially the same problem as Thumm1n. I don't get the error saying it's already running. Instead, when I Test Run, it immediately opens the file logs.

Unlike Thumm1n, I want to get sucked back in. I want it so, so bad.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:31 PM
p4ndepravity
Fire Beetle

lol i've spent most of today trying to get mq2 to run. i've been able to install it with the redguides build, but it crashes when i try to run it. i'm going to give up on mq2 for now unless Shin Noir is willing to post his method for running it.