Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Server Code Submissions

Old 01-03-2011, 06:19 AM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
Excellent work! That looks much better to me

Unless anyone sees issues with this last submission, I will get it committed as soon as I have a chance.

I will be making use of it right away as well, so it should get some good testing fairly quickly. Currently, I have a custom collapsible aug pool item that I have cast a spell and spawn an aug pool on the spot. It works well enough, but is a bit of a pain since it requires code in all zones player.pl to make sure the aug pool gets removed when the zone is emptied. It also causes aug pools to become permanent in zones that crash or if the server is shut down with one in a zone. Your new aug container will be a MUCH better permanent solution. Not only does it mean portable augmenting, but means 100% (or close) safe aug combines without item loss.

Sorry I had to give you so much hassle with the original code submission, but I think it resulted in a great solution in the end
Why don't you have all of your player.pl's reference a plugin/sub routine for each player.pl subroutine so you don't have to go back through all of those files to make any global changes like that again.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:36 AM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkadius View Post
Why don't you have all of your player.pl's reference a plugin/sub routine for each player.pl subroutine so you don't have to go back through all of those files to make any global changes like that again.
Not to derail the thread too much, but:

Yeah, that would be a decent solution for that type of thing. I could have done that easy enough with plugins or using require(). I just don't like the idea of having to have special player.pl stuff global in every zone. If something needs to be global like that, I normally try to find a better solution for it. In the case of the custom aug pool stuff I made, I only added it to a few key zones as a temporary solution until I had a better one. If something has to go in every zone's player.pl, that would mean I would really need to do it in every single current and future zone in the quests folder. I am sure I could get away with just doing it for our own custom zones, but again, I don't want to have to manage all player.pls like that in any way. There is always another solution!

Anyway, I am hoping to get this running on Storm Haven today and will leave it in for testing so it can be committed maybe tonight.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:13 PM
l0stmancd
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
Sorry I had to give you so much hassle with the original code submission, but I think it resulted in a great solution in the end
Don't worry about it in the slightest. You took the time to review, found a few issues, and suggested a better way that works perfectly.

Appreciate the help Trevius.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:03 PM
l0stmancd
Fire Beetle

Appears to be a small defect here - as we are using the same path as the augmentation container, we are first pushing the item to the client then deleting the item (in the container) from the client.

This can cause issues if you have a lag spike and both updates do not happen almost simultaneously.

Looks like it is limited to just deleting one of the lore items and making the other invisible until the client logs off or zones - an annoyance but does not appear to cause any item deletion. Posting a fix for this now.