Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:13 AM
Runehawthorne
Fire Beetle

Default Newb starting Server

Hello all, so I have been interested in starting my own serving for a long time and finally decided to move forward with it. However, I am a newb when it comes to networking and servers. I do have a little programming experience with C++ and setting up router settings, but Again am a newb when it comes to networking. I have searched throughout the forums to see what exactly I need to make a server. At this point my goal is to get the server up and running then I’ll worry about making changes to customize it later. This would be a server setup for just 4-5 players.

With that being said, what all do I need in order to get a server up and running. I would run it locally if possible until I become more familiar with the nuances of networking, or whatever is easier. I have the EQ Titanium CDs which is what I currently have installed to play on the p99 server. I have checked the forums and seen some links for files from Akkadius for PEQ but when I click the link most of these web pages are no longer active. I am a newb so again I apologize if this is not the proper place to ask or if this question has already been answered with a step by step guide somewhere on the forums. Thank you for your help!
Old 08-17-2018, 02:53 PM
Runehawthorne
Fire Beetle

I found an active page with a step by step guide, I feel dumb, sorry folks.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:23 PM
Uleat
Developer

In addition, if you're going to use your Titanium client, be sure to either reinstall it or use a second install for things not p99.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 08-24-2018, 05:36 PM
Bremmen
Fire Beetle

FWIW... I have been running my own local EQEMU server for years. Like everyone else I'm usually crunched for time so to save my own sanity I set up the server on a VM. With only a handful of players you don't need to allocate much in the way of resources to the VM. The benefit for me is that I version control the VM itself. If I'm upgrading the binaries or making content changes, or even just mucking around late at night, I'll back up the entire VM, make my changes and if I miss something I can just copy the old version back. This way I'm not worrying about what files I changed or what DB updates were made that need to be backed out. I just copy the most recent VM backup over the one I screwed up and I'm good to go.

Anyhow, just my 2 cents. Now I'm broke.