Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Simbera
Fire Beetle

Default A connection to the server could not be reached.

Hello, I'm new here so I hope this isn't horrible etiquette making my first post about a technical issue I am having. I have tried to resolve the issue on my own, read the wiki, and the FAQ, as well as doing a search for the key phrase in the title on google restricting results to those only on the eqemulator forums. I have yet to find a resolution so I turn to the community for help.

Initially I installed EverQuest Titanium on my computer and accidently clicked on it and the patcher popped up and I snap closed it. I then made all the changes in the wiki and created an account here, and for the LS. I changed my eqhosts file, and the shortcut link to eqgame.exe patchme. I then followed the steps on project1999 and downloaded the 3 zip files and placed them in the correct folders overwriting files as necessary, and removed the files into a backup folder. I then tried to connect to the server and continuously got the error in the title.

I decided to go to bed and try again in the morning starting from scratch as I realized I could have caused problems initially when the patching program initially loaded up. This morning I opened Revo uninstaller and completely removed EverQuest Titanium from my computer, and started all over again, this time being sure the patcher never opened, and it didn't. I followed the steps again and attempted to log in getting the same error. I then tried the following combinations:
1.) Turned off firewall, staying hard wired to my router.
2.) Turned firewall back on, hard wired directly to my modem.
3.) Turned firewall off, stayed hard wired directly to my modem.
4.) Turned firewall back on, hard wired back to my router.

In all 4 cases I tried multiple attempts to log in and again got the same exact error every single time.

I hope that I have provided sufficient detail, and shown that I was willing to attempt to solve this problem on my own before turning to the community for help. I appreciate all responses, and advice.

Cheers!
John
Old 01-05-2011, 09:52 PM
trevius
Developer

Have you tried connecting to any other servers to see if any others work? If the problem only happens on P99, you should bring up the issue on their forums for support there.

Also, when you uninstall, you should always make sure you delete the entire EQ folder manually too. Otherwise, it can retain files that continue to cause problems after reinstalling.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Simbera
Fire Beetle

I can't even connect to the server list, I type in my username and password and then it tries to bring up the server list and then gives me the error.

I did delete the entire Sony folder after completely uninstalling and deleting all registry entries.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:01 PM
trevius
Developer

Oh lol! Check your eqhost.txt file again, and make sure it saved correctly. Also, make sure you are using port 5998 in there, not 5999.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Simbera
Fire Beetle

Thanks a bunch for your help btw!

My current eqhost.txt currently has:

[LoginServer]
Host=eqemulator.net:5998
Old 01-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Simbera
Fire Beetle

I don't know if this has anything to do with anything, but the most recent modified items in my everquest folder after I try to connect are the files:
eqhost.txt
UIErrors.txt
eqlsPlayerData.ini

I've already posted the eqhost.txt

the UIErrors.txt has

UIErrorLog created at Wed Jan 05 19:06:29 2011
Old 01-06-2011, 07:14 AM
trevius
Developer

If you still can't connect after doing a full reinstall after deleting the complete EQ folder, then the problem is most likely a port issue. It sounds like port 5998 may be blocked on your network somehow.

Though, you might also want to see if you can connect without installing any of the custom files you installed after the installation.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Simbera
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
If you still can't connect after doing a full reinstall after deleting the complete EQ folder, then the problem is most likely a port issue. It sounds like port 5998 may be blocked on your network somehow.

Though, you might also want to see if you can connect without installing any of the custom files you installed after the installation.
Funny you should mention the last thing, because that was the latest thing I did, I did a complete fresh re install without adding the files from project 1999, I still get the same error.

I wonder how to get by a port issue if it's blocked by my ISP.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:56 AM
DeadlyApostle
Fire Beetle

I am having the same issue here. I have contacted my ISP about it and they state they have no port forwarding or port blocking going on.

All of a sudden I just couldn't log in anymore.

I have tried everything disabling firewall, system restoring to earlier this month, reinstalling drivers for my cards.

At this point I think the only option left is to ask you guys to reboot your LS because I am pretty sure a hub that the connection was going through went down and your LS ip has not been reset to accont for a new path.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:49 AM
trevius
Developer

If you can reach this website, and you can ping www.eqemulator.org, then your route to the Login Server should be fine (they are on the same host). Have you tried rebooting your router/modem or resetting them to factory defaults and setting them back up again?

When you say you can't log in anymore, do you mean you get an account/password error, or that it times out, or that you don't see the server list? The more details, the better.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:12 AM
DeadlyApostle
Fire Beetle

It times out without letting me get to the server select screen. I cannot reset anything other than the switch in the tent seeing as its satellite internet and the actual modem is unavailable. I have contacted the ISP to see if they started to block or port forward and they said nothing as changed since Tuesday of last week and they do not forward ports or block them.

The signal was interupted on tuesday do to heavy cloud cover so I am under the impression that the path has not been updated correctly after our hub went down which is why i was asking if you could restart the log in server to see if that fixes the problem.

SOE had this issues with live a few times where only a few people could not log in and it looks like they solved the problem by re booting the log in server.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Tsuken
Fire Beetle

Now I'm having this exact same problem. However, I've been playing everquest on project 1999 just fine, except I can't connect to the eqemulator loginserver anymore for about two days now. Everything else on the internet works and connects just fine though. The eqhost file is still correct. Is there any way to see where or how or why it fails to connect to the server?

I can tracert and ping eqemulator.net just fine by the way.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:32 AM
trevius
Developer

What about trying eqemulator.org?
Old 04-25-2011, 11:54 AM
Tsuken
Fire Beetle

Same message:
"A connection to the server could not be reached. Please check your internet connection to make sure you are online."

Is there any windows service required for connecting to the login server? I cleaned up my msconfig startup and services recently. I can connect to everything else on the internet though, as far as I know.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Helix27
Fire Beetle

same thing now. i left for Hawaii 10 days ago and played just fine that day and now i come back and nothing has changed but i get the unable to find a connection window. Comcast Internet