Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:07 AM
MBroadway
Fire Beetle

Default Zone.exe Crashing

Hello. im having a small problem. I used this server setup guide http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32980
and everything worked fine, got my server up and running and no problems making a character and playing. but for some reason there is a character that keeps crashing the zone.exe, and their EQ crashes as well. I ran a log and this is the error I got.
[02.09. - 23:53:13] Starting Log: logs/eqemu_error_zone_4768.log
[02.09. - 23:53:13] Path File ./Maps/nexus.path not found.
[02.09. - 23:53:16] HandlePacket() Opcode error: Unexpected packet during CLIENT_CONNECTING: opcode: OP_Unknown (#0 eq=0x0000), size: 4
[02.09. - 23:53:21] HandlePacket() Opcode error: Unexpected packet during CLIENT_CONNECTING: opcode: OP_Unknown (#0 eq=0x0000), size: 1
any help would be a great. Thank you.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:45 PM
MBroadway
Fire Beetle

Ok, i've done some more poking around in the Database and whatnot, and found the problem to be summoned pets. When you summon them or if someone has one and zones with it, its an instant crash for them, and my zone.exe crashes as well. This only happens with permanent pets tho. the swarm pets and necro epic do not crash anything. any help would be great. thank you
Old 08-13-2011, 07:44 PM
strider51
Sarnak

I'm experiencing this too. Have you found a fix?

I also noticed that if the zone.exe already exists for that zone (aka static not dynamic) then it works fine. It only seems to be an issue if it has to allocate a dynamic zone, or set an unuzed zone.exe to the zone.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:24 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

I'll throw my gauntlet into this fire as well. When I was running Morell-Thule on a linux box, I do not (actively) recall the zone binaries crashing, but now that I am on Windows, with VS2010 loaded, I see 2-3 zone.exe's a day throwing exceptions. My logging also shows minimal information, but I will take the info posted above and try a Pet Class tonight and see if I can get a zone to crash. If so, I might be able to debug it.

Meanwhile, since it's been years since I was involved with EQEmu, can someone remind me what Logging I can enable to get more details on zone and what it is doing? More logging might help identify this problem for all.

Thanks

PS: This is happening with current SVN code, as well as my ancient Abyss server running PEQ-Repack binaries from 11/8/2007, so I don't think it's anything new... just related to crappy Windows
Old 08-30-2011, 11:34 PM
sorvani
Dragon

This will be good if you can find something definitive.

Playing on PEQ, with a mage and the Monster Summoning IV pet, it seems to cause zone crashes often. Switching to the Ward of Xegony air pet, I haven't seen a zone crash in weeks.
Similar problems have been reported by others that the Ixt (centaurish) mobs in the GoD zones sometimes cause crashes when their pets are up. Most often when someone dies or zones.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:23 AM
to0p
Fire Beetle

I am on crappy windows and cannot recreate this issue. Possible compile error?
Old 09-13-2011, 12:14 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

I see this will probably get the same flood of interested responses as it has the last 6 years this problem has been brought up aka, none.

Can anyone who runs a WINDOWS EQEmu server, confirm that zones crash when players log in under certain conditions? I'd like to know it's not just me, or maybe some missing SQL patch, or a bad compile, or config, or or or, anything >I< have done wrong.

I have 20 dynamic zones, and every couple days I check both servers, 1/2 of them are wiped out caught in a JIT error waiting for me to clear it so they can reboot. This is ridiculous.

I do not remember seeing this problem on Linux, but that may be because in Linux the zone simply reboots quietly. I think I'll be switching both my EQEmu servers BACK to linux this week... sigh. Just makes it harder to debug issues, which is why I moved to Windows in the first place.

So really, devs? experts? community gurus? You got nothing?
Old 09-13-2011, 12:24 PM
joligario
Developer

Ever run a memory test program like Memtest86+?
Old 09-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Vincire
Fire Beetle

I am having the same issue with a character logging on but only after I updated my QUESTS folder to the most recent version. All of my characters login just fine if I remove the QUESTS folder...
Old 09-14-2011, 10:23 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by joligario View Post
Ever run a memory test program like Memtest86+?
What is this going to do? Not being a smarty pants, I seriously am asking. Since all my machines are Virtual Machines, I doubt there is anything wrong with my memory sticks

I am 100% positive this is an EQEmu code issue, since it's been happening for 5+ years.

Vincire, if I can ever reproduce this crash myself, I'll have to try your suggestion. Maybe it is something Quest related?
Old 09-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Caryatis
Dragon

You come across as a douchebag btw(the irony is not lost on me~).

Quote:
since it's been years since I was involved with EQEmu
Quote:
since it's been happening for 5+ years.
Do I need to explain it further?

I love how stupid people's mind works... a repack from 2007 is crashing and so is the current code SO IT MUST BE EXACTLY THE SAME REASON!!!!!!

To be honest though, the one common factor is you so most likely you screwed something up(most windows ops do not experience 2-3 crashes a week let alone every day).
Old 09-14-2011, 11:16 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

Attach the debugger to it and see where it crashes.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:12 AM
joligario
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams View Post
What is this going to do? Not being a smarty pants, I seriously am asking. Since all my machines are Virtual Machines, I doubt there is anything wrong with my memory sticks
Just because they are on virtual machines doesn't mean you don't have bad hardware. But, I was offering help to eliminate the possiblity of it being hardware related. There are a lot of Windows servers with no problems, so I doubt it is a stock code problem.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:32 AM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams View Post
I think I'll be switching both my EQEmu servers BACK to linux this week... sigh. Just makes it harder to debug issues, which is why I moved to Windows in the first place.
Why is debugging issues harder on Linux? You can use GDB to evaluate core dumps on linux, which gives better insight into the cause of crashes than I know of from any Windows tools.

I am actually in the process of setting up a Windows server to see if it is more stable than my Linux server. I will still need to find a good debug tool that I can run full-time on a production server with players on it though.

On Linux, I run into a few different types of zone crashes that I haven't been able to pin down to any exact issue yet. One of them is during the Zone::ShutDown() process when it reloads quests. The other main crash I see is during the RemoveCurrent() process when a client is removed from a zone (zoning out or died).

I am not aware of any crashes related to zoning into a dynamic zone with a permanent pet. Though, it wouldn't surprise me if that was the cause of some of the crashes I see, since they are almost all during the zoning process somewhere.

I know many of the pet related crashes from the past have been resolved, but I think there are still some remaining that we just don't have a 100% way of reproducing so they can be isolated. That is just a theory though, based on my own suspicions on the crashes I currently get.

My other suspicion on my own crashes are that they are perl related. We have a wide variety of scripts and I am sure there are issues in some of them.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:19 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

Thank you, to those that are attempting to be helpful by not being flaming, retarded noob trolls

Trev, thanks for the tips. I do know how to debug using gdb, bt, and whatnot, but what I was getting at by using Windows and VS2010 was an attempt to use a GUI that I am familiar with to see exactly what's missing, causing the crashes.

The problem with spinning off 20 zones using VS2010 debug are simply the resources allocated to this one VM. That, and a horrid lack of interest in really solving someone elses bug (I have my own project to worry about )

By posting here, I was merely hoping to stir up interest in solving a problem that, regardless of the generalizations mentioned here, have been happening for years... on various databases, including the PEQ ones I used to run.

I will set up my Linux server once again, and this time try and pay attention of Zone (binary) crashes there too, or if it's just my crappy Windows environment(s).

Thanks again.