Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:42 PM
atrayas
Hill Giant

My promotion has me working around 60-70 hours per week...i get maybe 2-3 hours a night at home with the family so yea, priorities...Server isnt going to go down just a hold on development for the time being.

I can get those files compressed and sent to you tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:43 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Okay, sounds good, and understandable, no worries.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:26 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

I still have the old NL source and quests from Pre-Kunark...........

but between the acquisition of my company, and the fact I totalled my car recently, I don't have time to do a damn thing.

And theres the fact we switched from Fiber to Comcast at work, and I can't host jack shit.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:51 AM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze_EQ View Post
I still have the old NL source and quests from Pre-Kunark...........

but between the acquisition of my company, and the fact I totalled my car recently, I don't have time to do a damn thing.

And theres the fact we switched from Fiber to Comcast at work, and I can't host jack shit.
That sucks, Atrayas already sent me the Kildrukaun's Prophecy quests, not really looking to start it up or host it, more of a preservation of the code and maybe some maintenance or remodeling of the scripts.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:18 AM
Movement
Sarnak

Is your bandwidth at your home too slow to host it?
Old 10-07-2015, 03:45 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movement View Post
Is your bandwidth at your home too slow to host it?
Are you asking me or Maze_EQ?
Old 10-07-2015, 09:18 PM
rhyotte
Hill Giant

Could always just see if Akka has some hosting space available for this project....
Old 10-07-2015, 09:26 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyotte View Post
Could always just see if Akka has some hosting space available for this project....
Yeah, that is an option; however, hosting isn't free, especially if you're getting quality hosting.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:37 PM
atrayas
Hill Giant

Well a server such as this needs a population and unfortunately I dont really think it would garner that much popularity among the eqemu community this day and age. The last couple iterations of NL and then KPEMU started strong both times and ended up just dwindling down to less than 10 players online at a time. I can see the exact same thing happening if it were revived.

Reason I say this is because content up to pop is golden. Everything is pretty much already n the db and ppl can progress. Beyond that development slows down, devs get burnt out, players get impatient and it all comes crumbling down. So unless the dev's that undertook the project devoted most of there free time to the project I feel it would just be another waste of time for something thats already been done before.

For me, Id be much more interested in custom projects testing the limits of eqemu and just being unique all together.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:46 AM
rhyotte
Hill Giant

The combination of new tools to make development easier, and new management would likely mitigate that.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:40 PM
trentn
Fire Beetle

Default ..

I disagree. Beinga player on that server - the server died out cause the Dev team stopped making improvements and content was buggy due to too much customization.

I think a reitteration of KL/NL - a semi legit Classic-GoD content server geared towards small group raid (2-4 groups) with a 3 box limit would be VERY popular.

If anything - Custom content servers die quicker than classic content servers by far. Yea - Hidden Forest does well - but so does P1999 which is classic.

To be completely honest - the project has Classic-Velious and most of POP pretty good in the coding. The adjustments that would be required would be XP / mob hp and damage / quest for progression / and spawn timer modifications.

But that's just my 2 cents.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:42 AM
atrayas
Hill Giant

Well trentn you hit the nail on the head with your post and confirmed exactly what i wrote above you. it died due to a combination of factors, one being the dev team got burnt out and did stop working on the server as much. This is because after all of the content that pretty much comes pre-loaded in a standard db install has been released then the dev team has to spend countless hours, and im talkin hundreds of hours here, to release quality content.

Most teams give up at this point, sometimes real life happens and sometimes they never intended the server to become that popular. All in all the team has to be very dedicated to keep on releasing content for there player base.

As i stated above, if the server was released again it would most likely be popular at first. But as soon as PoP is released and that gets old it would again get boring while players waited around for more content to be released and people would slowly find better things to do with there time.

All of the quests and scripts for that server I sent to Kinglykrab so if he or anyone else decided to try and bring it back its all there, maybe a few tweaks here and there in the code but its there. Adjusting mob stats is a trivial thing to do and could be done fairly fast with a small team.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:53 AM
trentn
Fire Beetle

Default ..

I think GoD would be a VERY popular expansion to continue past POP - no need for custom content. GoD needs a little tweaking - but the foundation is there. after GoD - do OOW. There should be ample time for the players to progress from Classic-POP to finish off GoD and do a good chunk of OOW. Yes - the fights on OOW mobs won't be the same as there's not scripts - but you can always just make it tank and spank. You can get a good 1.5-2years out of this server no problem.

Like you reitterated - most the tweaking from Classic-POP would be pretty easy - GoD will take a little work and then OOW possibly - but there should be at least 1-2 months per expansion if done correctly with small group raiding. Solo servers go way faster - but small group raiding would take longer to progress due to flagging and gearing.

I think it'd be worth the time - but I'm not a dev. I wish I was and knew coding and I'd do my own - I've tried a few times.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:44 PM
rhyotte
Hill Giant

Akka's new tools have lowered the difficulty quite a bit. Albeit they will not code for you...
Old 10-11-2015, 07:02 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

If theres enough interest, I'll start from scratch. Early NL was so cookie cutter it was insane, but people loved it because 2 groups could down raid targets easy enough.

ill work on something once i find reliable free hosting cause i'm a jew.