Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-28-2022, 06:24 AM
Freejack
Sarnak

Default Clients which is best for use?

I know this sometimes comes down to opinion, I have tested Titanium and it works but has a few quarks like if playing a ranger and using tracking you get disconnected because your tracking list showed up empty.

I tried ROF2 and it has an issue with the elevators in Greater Faydark. You can ride the elevators down but if you get on them from the ground when it starts going up you fall thru to the ground. I know ROF2 is a newer client and actually liked the look of it and it has some improved graphics.

I tried Wayfarers Havens Version and could not get it to connect to the network on login. I used my eqhost file from Titanium and it just sat there saying connecting.

So basically I am looking for advice on the clients to use with the server.

Another question is also if you use ROF2 what patch if any did you use?
Old 01-28-2022, 10:51 AM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freejack View Post
I have tested Titanium and it works but has a few quarks like if playing a ranger and using tracking you get disconnected
I have a ranger and use Titanium, and I never get disconnected at anytime using tracking. (on my server anyway)
Old 01-28-2022, 02:13 PM
Sturm
Hill Giant

It's generally best to use which-ever client is suited to whatever server you are playing on.

Check your specific server's forum or ask the players in game.

This forum is not specific to any server, this is the emulator project as a whole forum.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:44 PM
Freejack
Sarnak

I amusing the Akk's Linux Install Eqemulator version, what is best paired with it?
Old 01-28-2022, 08:37 PM
Russkie
Fire Beetle

RoF2. For any of the recent builds by Akk, be it Windows - Linux - Mac - it's going to be that one, including the docker stack.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:14 PM
Freejack
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russkie View Post
RoF2. For any of the recent builds by Akk, be it Windows - Linux - Mac - it's going to be that one, including the docker stack.
I have gotten the ROF2 client but with it what updates are used with eqemu server, especially AKK's?
Old 01-29-2022, 03:43 AM
Freejack
Sarnak

The reason I ask is I can do everything but in Kelethin when I get on the elevator with this client the character falls thru the elevator. Is it missing an update to the client ?
Old 01-29-2022, 08:44 AM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
but in Kelethin when I get on the elevator with this client the character falls thru the elevator.
The whole PEQ install, (whether done manually or using the installer) will come with bugs and quirks, but as a rule of thumb, it comes "as is". There is literally many things that don't function as some may want them to, simply because the client restrictions will prevent it, while other little bugs, here and there, the onus is on you to fix them, according to your own preferences and needs.

Each client version (Titanium, SoF, UF, Rof, etc) also comes with their own individual perks and quirks in the way they integrate with the server. This all has to do with the fact that the main EQEmu (project) devs/teams cannot/will not "hack the client files" to accomplish their goals with the PEQ project. The individual server owner would be acting on their own accord on how to handle those scenarios. Example - Using the old highpass with the RoF2 client is doable, but you're on your own to make it work. (or find help in the community for it).

What it all boils down to, as you run into all the various bugs, you will have to decide which client would better suit YOUR needs and preferences for a server. People hate Titanium, for some performance reasons and other people will love Rof2 for it's QoL features, etc, but will also come with trying to make some things work, that you wouldn't have to in Titanium.(and vise-versa).

If you see something broken (or not functioning properly), you need to fix it or, find a workaround for it. Something I did in the past with RoF2 client and that "elevator" in Gfay (a quick fix) was a simple port script on an NPC, which put your toon up where the elevator normally takes you:

Code:
sub EVENT_SAY {

if($text=~/hail/i) {
	quest::movepc(54,-140.6,-13.05,76.16,257);
  }
}
It really is all about what kind of server you're going to have, which will be the deciding factor in how much work you will have to get all the bugs out of it and working like you want it. Have Fun
Old 01-29-2022, 09:21 AM
Freejack
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huppy View Post
The whole PEQ install, (whether done manually or using the installer) will come with bugs and quirks, but as a rule of thumb, it comes "as is". There is literally many things that don't function as some may want them to, simply because the client restrictions will prevent it, while other little bugs, here and there, the onus is on you to fix them, according to your own preferences and needs.

Each client version (Titanium, SoF, UF, Rof, etc) also comes with their own individual perks and quirks in the way they integrate with the server. This all has to do with the fact that the main EQEmu (project) devs/teams cannot/will not "hack the client files" to accomplish their goals with the PEQ project. The individual server owner would be acting on their own accord on how to handle those scenarios. Example - Using the old highpass with the RoF2 client is doable, but you're on your own to make it work. (or find help in the community for it).

What it all boils down to, as you run into all the various bugs, you will have to decide which client would better suit YOUR needs and preferences for a server. People hate Titanium, for some performance reasons and other people will love Rof2 for it's QoL features, etc, but will also come with trying to make some things work, that you wouldn't have to in Titanium.(and vise-versa).

If you see something broken (or not functioning properly), you need to fix it or, find a workaround for it. Something I did in the past with RoF2 client and that "elevator" in Gfay (a quick fix) was a simple port script on an NPC, which put your toon up where the elevator normally takes you:

Code:
sub EVENT_SAY {

if($text=~/hail/i) {
	quest::movepc(54,-140.6,-13.05,76.16,257);
  }
}
It really is all about what kind of server you're going to have, which will be the deciding factor in how much work you will have to get all the bugs out of it and working like you want it. Have Fun
Thank you, I do understand that, I really just want to play. I started EQ in 2000 and played it till WOW came out and played it till they started catering. So I never got as far in EQ as I would have liked.

In reality I am an IT guy that setups networks and equipment and scripts things to accomplish my goals. I am in no way a programmer, wish I had taken it further than cobol and pascal. I have not worked with that in over 20 years. If I knew how to fix these issues for the clients I would.

I guess the mystical thing is that in Titanium the lifts are fine and in ROF2 the character falls thru even on servers that support ROF2 as their only client. So it has to be something between client and eqemu that is not sinking. You can ride the lifts down but not up when using ROF2.

So it will be Titanium. I set the server up as a place to just have some fun.

Again thanks.
Old 02-24-2022, 10:17 AM
Hyyr
Fire Beetle

Quote:
So it will be Titanium. I set the server up as a place to just have some fun.
This is the same as myself. My experience with EQ on Live started with the Kunark expansion, so the old "legacy" zones are the ones I greatly prefer to use. Plus, I already owned the Titanium client (and have never even seen a copy of the ROFL client, to be honest). So I decided to tweak my server to optimize the client I know and owned. As this required the complete revamping (in the PEQ) of some of the older zones (Lavastorm, Nek Forest, etc.) it has been a bit of an effort. At this point, I don't expect anything but the Titanium client to connect to my server.

Later, once I upgrade my server hardware, I plan to do massive changes to my server (like deleting all post-Titanium content from the PEQ, etc. to clean it up and save room). I also have a lot of personal stuff that I added.

Tags
clients, rof2, titanium, wayfarers haven