Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:17 AM
Ansley1
Sarnak

Default Beta Sucks asshole

Can you pretty please get it out of beta so we can bloody start already?
Old 08-30-2009, 03:42 PM
cassarubi
Fire Beetle

putting a druid/wiz npc porter at every ruins/spire would not be good. noobs wouldn't know all the routes and would put them at disadvantage. but one or two total npc porter's at key places might help; maybe even only make them available at certain times.

if noobs only needed to learn one key npc route it might benefit everything in the name of efficency. so another fun zone is more of an option to play at.

but my personal vote is for no npc ports.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:17 PM
narciss+
Fire Beetle

Hi nilbog, I look forward to your server! There are many people I've seen who say they are dying to play a classic server, as am I.

Remember your goal and do not stray from it! Things like soulbinders and npc porters work against what EQ was all about, teamwork! Every incentive provided by EQ to interact with other players is what made it so great. Some people will argue up and down all sorts of different reasons why these incentives should be replaced, but for every one of them that are replaced the game will suffer that much more. They are the ones responsible for EQ's murder!

Look at live EQ, and how the only people who play it now are those who play by themselves with bots and boxes. The game does not have soul anymore, because there is no more teamwork and camaraderie, just another 3D game.

Everyone who played back then would agree that EQ was more than a game, the world was alive, the game was living. The game was killed by these changes. Sony had no concept of the vision, the best they could have done is just leave it alone and keep the servers up.

But EQ lives on in the hearts of those of us who remember it for what is really was! If you make a classic server keep it as genuine as possible, and EQ will live again!
Old 09-02-2009, 02:55 AM
Traul
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by narciss+ View Post
Hi nilbog, I look forward to your server! There are many people I've seen who say they are dying to play a classic server, as am I.

Remember your goal and do not stray from it! Things like soulbinders and npc porters work against what EQ was all about, teamwork! Every incentive provided by EQ to interact with other players is what made it so great. Some people will argue up and down all sorts of different reasons why these incentives should be replaced, but for every one of them that are replaced the game will suffer that much more. They are the ones responsible for EQ's murder!

Look at live EQ, and how the only people who play it now are those who play by themselves with bots and boxes. The game does not have soul anymore, because there is no more teamwork and camaraderie, just another 3D game.

Everyone who played back then would agree that EQ was more than a game, the world was alive, the game was living. The game was killed by these changes. Sony had no concept of the vision, the best they could have done is just leave it alone and keep the servers up.

But EQ lives on in the hearts of those of us who remember it for what is really was! If you make a classic server keep it as genuine as possible, and EQ will live again!
You really have no idea what you're talking about.

Please tell me how a small change (NPC porters) that will promote grouping and player interaction will somehow kill grouping and player interaction. Please tell me how the world will feel alive if the only way to find another player is to travel for an hour just to find them.

Seriously, how many times does it need to be repeated? EQ is not EQ if the server population is 1/20th - 1/100th of what it should be. No amount of nostalgia laden bullshit will change that fact.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:03 AM
ojamajoe
Fire Beetle

I see an awful lot of ideas for modifying a Classic server in this thread. Thankfully, none of them are from people who are actually working on said server....
Old 09-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Tantalar
Sarnak

Server is almost ready omg...get ready... tell your friends!
Old 09-08-2009, 12:10 PM
clericgildina
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traul View Post
You really have no idea what you're talking about.

Please tell me how a small change (NPC porters) that will promote grouping and player interaction will somehow kill grouping and player interaction. Please tell me how the world will feel alive if the only way to find another player is to travel for an hour just to find them.

Seriously, how many times does it need to be repeated? EQ is not EQ if the server population is 1/20th - 1/100th of what it should be. No amount of nostalgia laden bullshit will change that fact.
I understand where you are coming from with your concerns. Locale will be a key part of the game and if you are in a lowly populated area, that will force you to have to travel in order to group. I think an aspect you are completely missing is the ability to make friends. It will be important to find people that you work well with, and group with often. Find regulars that play similar times to you and you can group with them very frequently. I don't know about you guys but I grouped with the same core of people all the time and that was the way I liked it. It was important to stick near those people and get used to their playing times.

I don't think that NPC Translocators will ever be an option for Project 1999. If that is enough to drive you away then I am sorry for the inconvenience it just is not part of our vision. I still say that part of the problem with translocators is that it removes a lot of racial penalties. Starting as a Troll and being hated by everyone would be null because you can just instantly travel back home to sell, buy spells, train skills or whatever. You could be hunting in Permafrost which would be certain doom for a Troll in classic since there is no friendly areas anywhere. With a translocator you would only have to travel back to North Karana to go back home whenever you need which would be a short run. Wheras without a translocator, that is part of your penalty for playing an evil race, you lose convenience.

We appreciate everyone's concerns but this is an issue I just don't see being budged at all. We would be customizing classic for the sake of convenience and let's be honest. Classic was anything BUT convenient.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:31 AM
Joebrew
Fire Beetle

This sounds fun...,but will half-elfs have exp penalty like old times? because if they do that would suck, but I'd still play your server anyway, great Idea and awesome work by the way.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:58 AM
nilbog
Hill Giant

Yep penalties are in place. (half elves do not receive racial penalty)

This has since been removed from eqemu, but I still use it :P

(smaller is better)
Code:
29 //experience modifiers based on race and class, used if USE_RACE_CLASS_XP_MODS is defined
   30 //                            hum     bar     eru     elf     hie     def     hef     dwa     tro     ogr     hal    gno     iks,    vah     frog
   31 float  race_modifiers[15] = { 100.0f, 105.0f, 100.0f, 100.0f, 100.0f, 100.0f, 100.0f, 100.0f, 120.0f, 115.0f, 95.0f, 100.0f, 120.0f, 100.0f, 100.0f}; // Quagmire - Guessed on iks and vah
   33 //                            war   cle    pal    ran    shd    dru    mnk    brd    rog    shm    nec    wiz    mag    enc    bst    bes
   34 float class_modifiers[16] = { 9.0f, 10.0f, 14.0f, 14.0f, 14.0f, 10.0f, 12.0f, 14.0f, 9.05f, 10.0f, 11.0f, 11.0f, 11.0f, 11.0f, 10.0f, 10.0f};

I was hoping this thread might die with the new, release topic in place.

Release thread. http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/sho...t=29619&page=2

Our current beta forums. http://classicbetatest.guildlaunch.com/

Thanks for your support guys

Last edited by nilbog; 09-23-2009 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 09-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Dibalamin
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojamajoe View Post
I see an awful lot of ideas for modifying a Classic server in this thread. Thankfully, none of them are from people who are actually working on said server....
I lol'd for real. Thanks man, this made my day!