Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:11 PM
Xaeyr
Sarnak

Default Your servers biggest change...

So for those that are playing around with their own servers, what's the biggest change you've made to yours?
Old 11-02-2015, 04:34 PM
starblight
Sarnak

I keep looking at other servers descriptions to see what kind of changes others have made to there server. I have found a fair amount of ideas for my own server this way.

I would say the largest change I have made by work involved was modifying all named mobs spawn chance. I modified most spawns named to have a 80% chance to spawn. I never could figure out a simple quarry to run so I modified each spawn point by hand.

The change that made the biggest change to game play was increasing EXP gain.

you can read all my changes here
Old 11-02-2015, 04:53 PM
chrsschb
Dragon

The biggest changes on my server are custom events (ring events / challenge encounters) and bosses that are scripted to present unique challenges.

There's a bunch of custom quests, items, upgradeable gear, spell edits, etc just to add some more flavor but the custom encounters are my pride and joy.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:58 PM
Mortykins
Hill Giant

Past :
The Creation of Hired Goons and Evolving Weapons

Current :
I think for Raid Addicts it is our Custom Spells, that took years for us to get them balanced and there is still many that are broken or needing adjustments but for the most part it's all working out great.

Future :
Tiers to come will all be about Raids and not grinds , who wants to spend 893 hours trying to get something.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Xaeyr
Sarnak

Wow. The biggest thing I've done was added my family as NPC's in PoK lol. But, I'm really just getting started so that was kind of fun for me and them
Old 11-02-2015, 10:49 PM
Zaela_S
Hill Giant

Removed leveling and classes and implemented a system whereby the (custom) spells/abilities available to you were determined but what you had equipped (custom equipment, obviously). Changed how stats worked to support that too, and to make them much more significant (e.g. +x% nuke damage per point of INT, that kind of thing), with everyone's stats starting at 0.

'Course, doing everything from scratch was way too much work and the server didn't last long. Was worth it to see the few players strategizing what roles they would play for the starting zone 1-group raid-style mobs, though. And doing on-the-fly role hybridization and min/maxing, too. But not really EQ at that point.

Can do some pretty interesting stuff if you aren't afraid to make a few code changes and maybe live with hacking around a client restriction if it's standing in your way. On the other hand, small but in-your-face changes risk being gimmicks, and too much change can kill the nostalgia factor which is a big part of this whole project.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:24 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaeyr View Post
Wow. The biggest thing I've done was added my family as NPC's in PoK lol. But, I'm really just getting started so that was kind of fun for me and them
I've done this as well haha. Using people I know as various NPCs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaela_S View Post
Removed leveling and classes and implemented a system whereby the (custom) spells/abilities available to you were determined but what you had equipped (custom equipment, obviously). Changed how stats worked to support that too, and to make them much more significant (e.g. +x% nuke damage per point of INT, that kind of thing), with everyone's stats starting at 0.

'Course, doing everything from scratch was way too much work and the server didn't last long. Was worth it to see the few players strategizing what roles they would play for the starting zone 1-group raid-style mobs, though. And doing on-the-fly role hybridization and min/maxing, too. But not really EQ at that point.

Can do some pretty interesting stuff if you aren't afraid to make a few code changes and maybe live with hacking around a client restriction if it's standing in your way. On the other hand, small but in-your-face changes risk being gimmicks, and too much change can kill the nostalgia factor which is a big part of this whole project.
True that. We have two progression paths and I try to balance them against each other. The Kunark additional progression all takes place in Classic zones. It's tougher than Kunark but is meant to lead into Velious and it's custom progression.

I love the stat changes you made, I've seen a few others do it as well. I'm just not sure how to implement it and keep the feel I want. Then I thought of doing it but only by completely changing heroic stats. That way normal stats remain the same and heroic stats (which will likely be extremely rarely used) could function as my "bonuses" and be more finely tuned than they currently are.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:28 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Mort didn't make mercs.

lololol. credit4steelz

identitytheft

Old 11-03-2015, 02:04 PM
Mortykins
Hill Giant

Oh really were you there ? They were nothing like the ones that are here currently but similar and was before Live EQ created them. And I didn't say Mercs I said Hired Goons , pretty much just pets that you could give goon armor and weapons too and stacked with other pets.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:31 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortykins View Post
Oh really were you there ? They were nothing like the ones that are here currently but similar and was before Live EQ created them. And I didn't say Mercs I said Hired Goons , pretty much just pets that you could give goon armor and weapons too and stacked with other pets.
Can confirm, I played RA a long time ago.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:27 PM
trahelion
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortykins View Post
Yup - I remember those. Wasn't the starting zone OoT or something? It's been ages since I played and I thought I didn't see your server around for some time. Glad to see it's still running.