Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Default Abundance of Non-administrated servers

Has anyone else noticed the bloat of servers on the list that seem to always have 0 people, never have an admin on, and flooding the server list?

Code:
0.8.0	[View]	0	Zion
0.8.0	[View]	0	Brell Reborn
0.8.0	[View]	0	Clumsy's World
0.8.0	[View]	0	Dragons of Mist
0.8.0	[View]	0	Eq-Mxdog
0.8.0	[View]	0	Fleshripper
0.8.0	[View]	0	Fossamer Test
0.8.0	[View]	0	Hammersmith
0.8.0	[View]	0	Mackal
0.8.0	[View]	0	Mythic Lair

0.8.0	[View]	0	Oasis
0.8.0	[View]	0	Pi EQEMU
0.8.0	[View]	0	Rathe's Domain
0.8.0	[View]	0	Scratman
0.8.0	[View]	0	SirensBane Classic EQBOTS
0.8.0	[View]	0	The Den of the Brown Recluse
0.8.0	[View]	0	The End is near...
0.8.0	[View]	0	The Land Of Roujlag
0.8.0	[View]	0	The Orange Drank
0.8.0	[View]	0	TheBast
0.8.0	[View]	0	Wrathfu
0.8.0	Unregistered	0	asdf123
0.8.0	Unregistered	0	Burbankmarc's EQ Server
0.8.0	Unregistered	0	Custom Content EQServer (TESTING)
0.8.0	Unregistered	0	Hlubina mysleni
0.8.0	Unregistered	0	MyEQsf [(emu-r2177Bots quests-r999 db-r63 maps-r50) Spells GMcommands Legit]
0.8.0	Unregistered	0	Nytemare
0.8.0	Unregistered	0	Prime EQ
0.8.0	Unregistered	0	RLServerandStuff

Old 08-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Tabasco
Discordant

Not everybody runs a server for the same reason.

I'd rather have pages of 0 population servers than some fragmented system where people have to post their private login server information.
It's representative of the emulator community.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:10 PM
sorvani
Dragon

People make servers for themselves and friends for the most part and there is no easier way to let everyone connect than to have it on the public login server. WTF is the problem with that?
Old 08-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Mariomario
Hill Giant

Not only that but i know there are several servers where people test code, source coding, or are experiementing with things such as data collecting to further the experience of the player base by giving admins different choices on how they can go about constructing their server. Not everyone develops a server to introduce as a public play place for others. This public login that Rogean hosts is great so the community can still see which servers are populated and have good ratings, over just a dead test server. I can whole heartedly say its 1000x better than how you would have to search for a WoW private server. Good.luck getting a good population going without a public place to advertise other than against hundreds of other servers.

Enlightened Dark: Ascension
Old 08-10-2012, 05:18 PM
wolfwalkereci
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze_EQ View Post
Has anyone else noticed the bloat of servers on the list that seem to always have 0 people, never have an admin on, and flooding the server list?
why I suggested adding another category if it was possible to the login server.
Gold - Green - Blue - Ugly
Of course that would require more work for Rogean with people wanting to move from ugly to blue type deal.

- I fall into the group of goobers that run a test server to, well, test stuff
Old 08-10-2012, 05:22 PM
nenelan
Hill Giant

This is a non-issue.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

I was also pecking at the idea of adding more categories, I understand not everyone has the same idea, It just shoo's people away when they come to EMU and see 50 empty servers, so they just leave because they don't feel like trying them.

20+ people I know from live came over and said the same thing.

IMO it doesn't threaten me, since I've been around for years. Was just a thought.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Tabasco
Discordant

The first thing you see when you log in is Legends and Preferred. If that list is daunting for a new player it's because they need to choose which established populated server they'd like to invest time in.
I hope your 20+ people from live don't play any FPS games, the server browser would blow their minds.

If people really want to start classifying their servers it could be easily done with a voluntary prefix system. Annotate that in the eqemu config xml file and hope that people making new servers cooperate.
[T] for testing, [P] for private, [A], [B],[*] for alpha, beta, release, or whatever. It helps people know what your server is and doesn't create a new and relatively pointless administrative task.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Born2rot
Fire Beetle

Fleshripper has a handful of people that play at different times. I don't feel the need to admin/play everyday. Sorry? lol

Goregut
Old 08-11-2012, 08:09 PM
KLS
Administrator

I don't really see this as an issue that needs to be solved. The idea that servers without players should somehow be kept down isn't very attractive to me.

I mean, remember even some of the most popular servers we had were once alpha servers with 0-5 people on them at any given time.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:14 PM
RStefan01
Fire Beetle

There were a few people playing on Oasis last night (including me). For what it's worth, it seems like an easy-mode tuned solo server. Dunno if there's any endgame or not yet, didn't get through all of the content. Good way to waste a few hours at least, but doesn't seem like something that'd sustain a population.

I don't think I've ever played on any of those other servers, but it's probably only a matter of time. I server hop a lot ;p
Old 08-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

On a FPS, you don't invest 100's of hours into it.

Everquest is totally different than a FPS, don't see why you would compare the two.

About the server list, it was just to see other's thoughts on it, not saying to segregate those servers that have 0 players on them, as I completely understand that some may be test beds, and some may be works in progress.

And yes, the server list is daunting to new comers, after all, this is the Emulator, where not everything is live-like.

I know there is a server list, and whatnot, on live, but every server is typically the same for Sony.

Exactly as I just said, I wanted to know other people's opinions on the subject, and see if there was a classification system that can be embraced.

I never said to force people to have server ranking, I just thought it would clean things up a little bit.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:08 PM
chrsschb
Dragon

Clumsy's World is up because the admin has die-hard fans who still want to play there (despite the lack of population). It was once a bustling server of epic proportions but alas people move on and try new things.