Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:27 AM
LogansRun
Fire Beetle

Default Multiple problems with new server

Hello everyone.

Recently, I've set up a new private, Windows server to play on with a couple of my friends over a LAN connection. Ran into some walls while setting it up, but now everything seems to be running. I'm able to log in, fight mobs, gain exp, etc.

I also downloaded and set up the PEQ Database Editor in order to start making changes to my server. This is where I've ran into some big problems:

First off, changes I make within the editor don't seem to translate to the game correctly. I'm mainly talking about spells here. If I create a spell in the editor, generate a new spells file, and then try to cast it in game with #castspell, all I get is an effect named "Unknown Spell". Moreover, the spell's intended effect doesn't actually apply to the character. Ex. Thorns doesn't reflect damage.

Spells that were in the original database, let's say SOW, work fine. And I can modify them with the editor just fine. But if I make a copy of SOW, put it in game, and cast it, the buff works as above.

This problem also translates over to items. Say I have a potion that I put a custom spell on. The spell does not show up when inspecting the potion and I can't drink it.

The second problem I'm having is that character progression is sometimes not being saved. There have been instances where I've logged in on a character, gained a level or two, logged out, then re-entered and lost the levels. This also seems to apply to any other changes made to the character during that time (player settings, AA exp, inventory, etc.)

I may just be missing something completely fundamental that's screwing everything up. I'm pretty new to the whole process. Anyone have an idea of what could be causing these issues?
Old 07-10-2014, 12:53 AM
Zaela_S
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogansRun View Post

First off, changes I make within the editor don't seem to translate to the game correctly. I'm mainly talking about spells here. If I create a spell in the editor, generate a new spells file, and then try to cast it in game with #castspell, all I get is an effect named "Unknown Spell". Moreover, the spell's intended effect doesn't actually apply to the character. Ex. Thorns doesn't reflect damage.

Spells that were in the original database, let's say SOW, work fine. And I can modify them with the editor just fine. But if I make a copy of SOW, put it in game, and cast it, the buff works as above.

This problem also translates over to items. Say I have a potion that I put a custom spell on. The spell does not show up when inspecting the potion and I can't drink it.
Are you copying the generated spell file to your Everquest folder?

The EQ client reads most spell data from the spells_us.txt file; the server doesn't send any of the information in there. The server and any clients connecting to it need to be synchronized externally by making sure they're reading the same spell file/data. Need some kind of patch process, in other words.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:04 AM
LogansRun
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaela_S View Post
Are you copying the generated spell file to your Everquest folder?

The EQ client reads most spell data from the spells_us.txt file; the server doesn't send any of the information in there. The server and any clients connecting to it need to be synchronized externally by making sure they're reading the same spell file/data. Need some kind of patch process, in other words.
I am. At first I thought that was my issue, but generating and updating with the new spell file doesn't seem to fix the problems.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Einon
Fire Beetle

I am having the exact same issue as you regarding spells, LogansRun.

I will post if I find a solution, but it would be very cool if someone already know of one.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Zaela_S
Hill Giant

Still sounds like the client and server just being out of sync on spells to me. I guess you obviously would have tried shutting down the server and running shared_memory by now, though...
Old 07-10-2014, 06:44 PM
Einon
Fire Beetle

Ok, so the problem is that only so many spell-IDs are available, depending on which version of EQ you are using.

So basicly, you have to give all your custom ID's a lower unused ID.

As suggested by Kayen (http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/sho...ht=spell+limit), these can by found by using:

Code:
SELECT a.id+1 AS start, MIN(b.id) - 1 AS end
    FROM spells_new AS a, spells_new AS b
    WHERE a.id < b.id
    GROUP BY a.id
    HAVING start < MIN(b.id);
Just remember to update your items pointing to your custom spells as well and place the spells_us on the server and client.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:20 PM
LogansRun
Fire Beetle

I've found the same answers on doing some searching on the forums,Einon. Going to try checking my id values. I actually haven't heard of running shared_memory, Zaela. Could you explain a bit more on that?