Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > OpenZone > OpenZone::Tutorials

OpenZone::Tutorials OZ, up to date Tutorials section

Old 08-16-2007, 07:37 PM
Sakrateri
Dragon

Ok, that works for single textured objects such as grass and weeds as you can see in this picture

but for things like trees with a leave and bark texture its not so good. I can only use one of the textures. I made these trees in 3dsmax, would i need to make the trunk and leave part seperate?? thanks for the help Scorp.

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 08-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Sakrateri
Dragon

I seperated the top of a tree from the bottom in 3dsmax and imported each seperatly in OpenZone then I was able to have a transparent top and solid trunk but what a pain in the ass to have to line all that up for each tree in Openzone, is there an easier way?

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 08-16-2007, 11:49 PM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakrateri View Post
I seperated the top of a tree from the bottom in 3dsmax and imported each seperatly in OpenZone then I was able to have a transparent top and solid trunk but what a pain in the ass to have to line all that up for each tree in Openzone, is there an easier way?
Yes, make all parts into a group so you can treat the tree as a single object..

Then you can copy and paste to make new ones. Beware! There is a bug in OZ where after you do a paste both the new item AND the ground mesh are selected! If you move the item, the ground moves too. Select something else, reselect the new object and move/rotate it where you need it.

You can also manually (read: cut and paste) this into a file and make it a mesh and put it into your mesh library.. open one up and see what it looks like and you will get the idea.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:18 AM
Sakrateri
Dragon

Ok , i got it . Thanks alot. I just imported the trunk and the top seperatly then grouped them before i added them to my mesh files. Works good now. See my purty trees !!

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 09-07-2007, 10:59 AM
gernblan
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeS View Post
This method uses an external program I wrote which takes the .scn file containing the 3ds object and texture info and replaces key portions to be transparent in EQ. This is also an easy way to import lots of transparent tree/leaves into the mesh library.

tutorial link

http://www.wizardportal.com/optimaiv...arent_Mesh.pdf

Link to scene texture modifying tool
http://www.wizardportal.com/optimaiv...2/eqemu/tc.zip

Reference Objects for Tutorial
http://www.wizardportal.com/optimaiv...mu/mytree2.zip

This method is faster than the previous manual method. I actually became very proficient at making tree zones now. You can too.

GeorgeS
George do you still happen to have these files? All of the links (for both methods) are 404.

Thank you.
Jest 4 Server
Linux (Jest3 runs on Fedora, our Dev servers usually run on Ubuntu and/or Gentoo), OC-12 Connection = Hella Fast