Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > OpenZone > OpenZone:: Q&A

OpenZone:: Q&A Support forum for OpenZone help

Old 12-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Default Future of OpenZone

Hi, I know I haven't been seen around here that much, but I think it's time I pick up something for EQEmulator again. I think that something is going to be OpenZone.
Currently, it's in this state:
Quote:
1) not compatable with Windows 7 by default

2) latest build doesn't output anything and crashes on non-Windows XP machines

3) issues with large (2GB+ rendered in memory) zones
The issues with Windows 7 will likely be solved by either converting it to the latest version of delphi or linking it with windows 7 delphi components (if they exist.)
The crashes are likely related to the compat with newer OSes, as Windcatcher does his work on Windows 2000.
The 2GB rendered is due to a limitation in delphi, and likely a software flaw.

I did see a source folder in OpenZone, so i'm gonna update my status on fixing OpenZone here, since Windcatcher is long gone it should seem.

Wish me luck, i'm likely going to need it (first time delving into delphi)
Old 01-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Packet
Hill Giant

Well Secrets, if you need a tester - let me know. I am running Win 7 64Bit and I've always managed to make OpenZone crash (even in XP).

Formerly "Richardo"
Old 01-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Shadows91
Fire Beetle

C++ please

Old 02-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Fulcrum
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets View Post
Wish me luck, i'm likely going to need it (first time delving into delphi)
Good luck, Secrets!
Old 08-25-2011, 12:32 PM
Astal
Hill Giant

why would someone code an ambitious project like this in delphi and not C++

memory management is key in this type of thing
Old 12-14-2011, 01:08 AM
PixelEngineer
Sarnak

I am definitely going to brush up on my editor programming and I am going to write an editor initially only for my open source client, Lantern. It will be open source and it should be straightforward enough to change to support newer zones. Written in C++ too. I also find it a shame Windcatcher wrote it in Delphi although that's no fault of his own. In fact, it's my problem for not being able to read/write in the language. The guy is an absolute beast with the format though. Sad I haven't seen him around.

Cheers.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Packet
Hill Giant

Just a suggestion if you're still digging into the OpenZone code - I recommend not aiming towards the "newer" (if we can call it that anymore) format but to give modelers (purely selfish request of course...) more freedom in importing.

My biggest complaint with OpenZone was the difficulty with applying texture maps and proper UV alignment. It would always screw up my terrain texture mapping which is why I just quit making zones for EQ. I tried everything from super-low resolution textures to ultra high 8000x8000 24-Bit Bmp textures.

One of the keys to creating aesthetically pleasing terrain is drawing on high-resolution bitmaps that contain immaculate detail in 1:1 comparison after sculping and drawing pathways, hedge, dirt peaks, etc. What I've wanted from OpenZone is the ability for it to break-down large images into grids so that it didn't surpass the s3d limitations but then re-apply a converted "broken-down" UV map of the original. Windcatcher tried at some point but it never worked correctly and there was a lot problems with this functionality. What I eventually had to do was start making maps for Quake3 and convert them over which proved to give the best results as long as you didn't do anything fancy like add reflective properties to a material. (Otherwise, the object would just have a dull white appearance.)

So, with all of that in mind - I'd like to see more support for high-resolution textures and more support (for Lantern) with things like anti-aliasing, reflective/raytraced textures and bump mapping. (Easily achievable with OpenGL or DX - whichever the Open Source engine uses.)

Formerly "Richardo"