Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > OpenZone > OpenZone::Tutorials

OpenZone::Tutorials OZ, up to date Tutorials section

Old 06-05-2008, 08:28 AM
Richardo
Banned

Post 3d Studio Max, Openzone & Terrain Basics I

I'm planning to compile a few tutorials "based on my experience with OpenZone". In this tutorial, I'll show you how to create a mountainlike grassy hilly plains that is just a standard terrain model in 3d Studio Max 9 and has very low detail and no additional objects. (You can use 3ds max 7, 8 and 9 as their interface is fairly the same.)

For this tutorial you need the following:

3d Studio Max (7, 8 or 9) - In this tutorial, I use 9.
OpenZone

3ds Max Terrain Basics I

Download 3ds Max Terrain Basics I Video
Download 3ds Max Terrain Basics I Project Files

Last edited by Richardo; 06-05-2008 at 04:36 PM..
Old 06-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Cripp
Discordant

this is awsome thanks so much. need more tutorials for 3DS max and OZ !

PS: your OZ 8.3 seems to run nice.. mine doesnt (older versions are better).. should i just redownload it or somethin? or is it my OS/machine?

www.nugblazers.com

Last edited by Cripp; 06-05-2008 at 09:37 PM..
Old 06-05-2008, 01:51 PM
leslamarch
Discordant

Nice work Richardo, I hope i get time to play with this.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Aramid
Discordant

Really nice and informative tutorial Richardo... Was that the $3500.00 version of 3ds ? /phew
Old 06-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Richardo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramid View Post
Really nice and informative tutorial Richardo... Was that the $3500.00 version of 3ds ? /phew
I didn't pay a dime for any of my software. Although my methods for obtaining this software aren't the most ethically correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripp View Post
PS: your OZ 8.3 seems to run nice.. mine doesnt (older versions are better).. should i just redownload it or somethin? or is it my OS/machine?
I recently reinstalled. Currently I am running Windows XP 32-Bit. My hardware follows:

AMD Athlon X2 6000+ (Dual-Core 3ghz)
2GB Corsaire DDR2
500GB Sata HD
Geforce 8500 GT 512MB
Crappy ECS MotherBoard
Creative XFi Soundcard

It might run bad if you haven't applied the dualcore hotfix for windows (if you have a dualcore.).
Old 06-06-2008, 12:11 AM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

I did try 3Dstudio, even had an employee discount version, but hated it so much and never got very good at it.

Soo, eventually tried truespace 7, bought my copy and vray and it's been great since. Actually I am waiting for my 7.x version updgrade eagerly..

I do have tonnes of models made with it, but have'nt had the time to make more custom zones.

GeorgeS

http://www.georgestools.chrsschb.com//
Old 06-06-2008, 09:48 AM
quadroplex
Banned

awesome tutorial I look forward to seeing how to add water and buildings in 3ds max... Ive just been using OpenZone to do all that and well its not that great...

Great work Richardo
Old 06-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Richardo
Banned

yeah well, I made a tutorial how to export world of warcraft models.. map the textures and import these models into your zone. It's fun to do this considering we don't always have tons of time to create and map our own textures. (Usually I do, but sometimes I don't.) Ofcourse I don't encourage illegally distributing the files but to envoke creativity, I will show you how to do it.

(Edit: I won't be posting it so don't ask for it here.)

Last edited by Richardo; 06-07-2008 at 08:49 AM..
Old 06-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Sakrateri
Dragon

you may want to show that in another section of forums such as off topic as WCs dream of openzone is for people to use their own imagination and no legally owned property to make their zones.

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 06-06-2008, 11:48 PM
quadroplex
Banned

and yet HE made it to import zones from another game (quake3) this is no different
Old 06-07-2008, 12:48 AM
Richardo
Banned

Yeah well Quake 3 importer is actually for zones not endorsed by Quake 3. Don't start importing official Q3 Maps. I don't plan to post that tutorial actually Sak so don't worry. It's only for those who ask for it outside of eqemu. Last thing eqemu needs is to be in the firing range of Blizzard.

Honestly, the only reason I invite people to view wow models honestly is so they can use the ideas from Warcraft for their own. Export the model, take a look at it and use it as reference. Warcraft has top notch modelers and even better structured models. Low-Poly modeling isn't just about extruding, welding and using smooth groups. It's about precision and perfect optimization that you can use a large quantity of your models in one area and not lag the crap out of the clients. I highly suggest you look at the bare-bone of each model and see how it's made in order to make yourself a better modeler. I'm going to show them next how to make water/lava/ice in 3ds max in the terrain tutorial. Then after that, i'll show them how to mask .dds files to make tree models/trails on their terrain + add more texture detail on their terrain like the following picture below:

Last edited by Richardo; 06-07-2008 at 07:25 PM..
Old 06-07-2008, 04:08 AM
Darkriderone
Fire Beetle

Ricardo just wanted to say that was a hell of a tutorial, easy to follow, and well done. I really look forward to your others, always looking forward to learning something new, or seeing a trick or tip that I may not have noticed.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Sakrateri
Dragon

I agree wow models are well done and do give you good ideas and its great what your doing to get people motivated to use OpenZone more.

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 06-07-2008, 01:35 PM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

Although I made a tree tutorial years ago, I lost the file, and would very much enjoy if a new tutorial be made on trees and transparency. This is one part I have the greatest trouble with.

If there's a good tut on this which i can verify to work, I will freely release several hundred tree meshes and building props I made or textured.

GeorgeS

http://www.georgestools.chrsschb.com//
Old 06-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

Excellent tutorial! A handful of these would probably go a long way toward getting people up to speed.

I think that error you got when exporting was because you don't have the eqemu_maps folder, so OpenZone couldn't create the file. I could put a check into OpenZone to see if that's the case and let you know that the folder isn't there.