Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:47 PM
3sp87s5
Fire Beetle

Default In need of some help with development.

I am at a stand still, and I guess the mercy of someone who is more knowledgable than I.

I for some time now have had a eq server up and running, ~Shattered Euphoria~. I've read many posts from people who have a much better understanding of server side emulation. And because of that, I come to you, in need of help on a different project. I assume that someone could probably crack/figure out this issue in a very short time, where as I am stumped.

Do any of you remember a game put out by Sierra, called "the Realm"? I and a couple other people are on a quest to develop a emulator for this game. It's roughly 15 years old and compared to EQ standards, very basic.

A basic server has been developed by one of the others, based on a DAoC structure in C#.

The road bump we ran into is this.

All packets are decipherable up to a certain point, and after that point. We are unsure what is taking place. This point consists of 3 packets. Each instance that the game is run, these packets always change, and still remain indecipherable.

When this point takes place is as followed.

The Realm client is opened.
It quickly connects to the Routing Server
Then to the Update Server
If no updates if continues to the Server list.
Once the game server (only 2 available, normal and a test one) is selected,
This is the point where those 3 packets (payload) are either compressed, encrypted, or something.

The next screen that should load is the login screen (username and password). The emulator currently developed will sit at a black screen and not prompt for a username and password.

We've tried to copy those 3 packets, and send them to the client, but still, no response.

A couple theories we have, but haven't proved true yet are:

1. A key may be in a previous packet that allows the client to interpret the always different packets?

2. Compressed/encrypted

We assume there is a key or something because ultimately it has to pull the same function in the end.....we think

Anyone willing to help or look at this packets, please please shoot us a email at therealmdev@gmail.com

We keep hoping that the game as old as it is, modern programmers that do some of the newer emulators, could look at this, and know instantly (I say this loosely) what is going on, or have a better idea/direction than we.

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Hmm
Discordant

It's possible that those packets have "magic number" that tells what type oif packet it is.