Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:27 AM
Topgun1969
Sarnak

Default At least i can play now.

Hope there will be a break on this soon. Sometimes could never get in because of the eqgame.exe crash. I went and made me a batch file that loaded the program 5 times. Just so i wouldn't have to keep loading in from desktop. Just put in the password crash and then next screen. lol. Been getting me in on at least 2 or 3 times now. When i finally get in i just mini screen and close what's left. So at least i can deal with that. *peace everyone*
Old 06-16-2007, 01:48 PM
Dralanna
Sarnak

Huh, so those of you that answered the survey and still get the crash... have you done any packet captures? I'd be curious to see if you're still getting the survey packet sent. My accounts no longer get that packet. (At least not that I've seen)
Old 06-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Topgun1969
Sarnak

I have not been getting any survey.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Vast
Fire Beetle

I had the same thought as you Dralanna, but the 2 accounts I have that never crash have never seen the Survey pop up, and the 1 I got the other day still crashes. I'm still fairly sure it has something to do with the survey but I'm not sure that answering it solves the problem (Or has any effect). I also considered the thought that maybe it is the answer that makes or breaks you. I answered "Yes" to it this time. If it ever comes up again I'll try skipping it and see if that changes anything.

Although, it seems the easiest answer would be for the login server to simply stop sending the packet that causes the crash.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:24 AM
rewired
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun1969
Sometimes could never get in because of the eqgame.exe crash. I went and made me a batch file that loaded the program 5 times. Just so i wouldn't have to keep loading in from desktop. Just put in the password crash and then next screen.
Or you could craft a batch file that automagically reloads eqgame.exe. psudo example posted as follows:

@echo off
cls
echo Starting EQ
:2
start /wait "c:\path\to\eqgame.exe"
goto 2

To halt the loop of EQ auto restarting, you will have to hit 'ctrl-C' in the batch file window and say yes to the prompt.

Windows users essentially use the same batch file to automate a relaunch of world.exe zone.exe upon crash.

the key to this working properly is the following flag:
/WAIT Start application and wait for it to terminate

Cheers

Last edited by rewired; 06-17-2007 at 08:28 AM..
Old 06-17-2007, 04:06 AM
So_1337
Dragon

Quote:
Or you could craft a batch file that automagically reloads eqgame.exe.
I don't know if that was intended or not, but it was a happy accident if it was a true typo. Having a batch file that does that would be quite magical, thanks for the idea =)
Old 06-17-2007, 07:15 PM
sonicintuition
Hill Giant

Quote:
No, Sonic. This is not the data collection option in the client. Occasionally during login (before the server select screen) SOE would dish out news bulletins or mini surveys (very rarely) to users to select before arriving at the server selects.
Duh - I knew that, really, I did. ....I've never seen a "survey" per say, however, the closest thing to it is a news popup with an "ok" button, and the ONLY time I ever saw that was after a patch or on a fresh install, and since I'm not patching my titanium client, only on a fresh install. But I know exactly what you mean now, I remember those surveys popping up occasionally when I used to play eqlive.

Regards,
Sonic

Last edited by sonicintuition; 06-18-2007 at 03:38 AM..
Old 06-19-2007, 11:12 PM
Budaworm
Fire Beetle

I have found out what is causing the game crashes at server list! Or well at least I think I've found the cause, it is when the server list exceeds 40 servers. I'm guessing that the login server is sending too much information to the client which can only show up to 40 servers thus causing the crash.

How did I figure this out? Well I was trying to connect to my server but kept crashing, so I turned off my server and tried logging in and I didn't crash. So I loaded my server back up and tried logging in again and crashed, did this a few times and realized it must be the number of servers causing the crash. So I then counted the # of servers on the list it was 40. I was thinking maybe its just me, so I tried my brothers computer, he would crash when the list was over 40 as well and didn't crash when there was no more then 40 servers.

It would be great if any devs can test to see if this is the cause.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:29 AM
sfisque
Hill Giant

oh man, i had a chuckle at this. i know its a serious matter... but...

to think that eqemu has been having issues because "of its success", is mildly amusing in a good way. to think that we have reached a point where we have too many servers for the client to handle is a good thing, in some respect.

on a serious footing, lets hope the LS devs can find a way around this issue, or in the worse case, we can always segment LS services between a "full time" LS and a "hobbyist" LS or something comparable/acceptable.

== sfisque
Old 06-20-2007, 05:57 AM
Budaworm
Fire Beetle

Well its not the number of servers on the list or well at least not a static number. I've seen the list go up to 42 servers today so that leaves me wondering what the problem is. Its odd though because last night when I would load my server I would crash every time at server list because there was always 40 servers listed. So I could'nt test to see if I wouldn't crash with less then 40 servers. But for some reason now I can see more then 40 servers and I'm no longer crashing with my server loaded. So I'm thinking maybe there must be something else going on.

Its easy to replicate if you run a server, in that once you start getting non stop game crashes you can try shutting down your server and then logging in and see if you crash. If you don't crash that leads me to believe it has something to do with the number of servers or something related to that.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:18 AM
sfisque
Hill Giant

is it possible that servers with names that contain "questionable" characters, like hi-bit ascii or similar could be the culprit? since the majority of servers come and go, this would be a possible source of "intermittent" connectivity issues.

== sfisque
Old 06-20-2007, 10:55 AM
Darkonig
Hill Giant

Quote:
is it possible that servers with names that contain "questionable" characters, like hi-bit ascii or similar could be the culprit?
That would not explain why 2 different accounts logging in at the same time from the same computer to play on the same server one crashes, one gets in.
And the fact that when packet sniffing a crashing account the packet sniffs between a successful login and a crashed login differ by only one packet, a survey packet that is only 191 bytes long sent by the server at the end of the crashed attempt.

While it is conceivable that there may be more than one cause of crashing, if it were server names in the list then I would expect everyone to crash, not just a few at random.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:38 AM
Vast
Fire Beetle

Darkonig is 100% correct. Accounts that are immune are so because something has been turned on/off for that account on the login server side. This has nothing to do with the number of servers or names of the servers. Again, I ask anyone who is not having the exact same symptoms as the original poster to please not post. If the devs never look at this thread, and then they do and there are 400 different people talking about the many many various things that can cause an eqgame.exe crash they will ignore it as with the other threads.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:09 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vast View Post
Darkonig is 100% correct. Accounts that are immune are so because something has been turned on/off for that account on the login server side. This has nothing to do with the number of servers or names of the servers. Again, I ask anyone who is not having the exact same symptoms as the original poster to please not post. If the devs never look at this thread, and then they do and there are 400 different people talking about the many many various things that can cause an eqgame.exe crash they will ignore it as with the other threads.
This is a General Support Forum - Members can post here on related matters, and the mods/members try and help out. If you think you have a bug to report, then you should do so in the the related forum. In fact, some of the Devs only read the Bug-Report forums.
EqEmu is still in Alpha and the source gets changed all the time. There are a whole lot of reasons and possibilitys for your client not to work properly, including .exe crashes. I can't remember how many times I thought I found a bug, only to realize it was something I had wrong on my side.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Dralanna
Sarnak

With all due respect, Angelox.... I am convinced this is a bug with the login server. I have several accounts, when I captured packets every single one got the packet listed in the first post at one time or another. When I got that packet, I crashed. When I didn't get that packet I didn't crash. When the survey finally popped up on 3 of my accounts and I answered correctly those 3 accounts never got that packet again, and subsequently have not once crashed at the server select screen. Now, to rule out the possibility of a client or computer issue, I've logged my accounts (both the bugged and the unbugged) on using multiple machines, OSs, Connection types.... anything I could change and consistently the bugged accounts stayed bugged and the unbugged accounts stayed unbugged.