Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:23 PM
BackTawk
Fire Beetle

Before I start, I'd like to say that I have extremely limited internet access (one of those crazy expensive wifi hotspots) and that is why I don't have the same options that other people might. Also, I'm dumb as a brick when it comes to technical stuff.
I downloaded and ran your installer. It balked for a while, but everything installed (except winrar, which I already had installed). Everything worked fine. I was surprised, because I thought with my luck it would fail or be several gigs of information.
However, I cannot run eqemu_update.pl. It appears as a notepad icon, and even when I select to use perl to open it, I don't have the option to run it as administrator. Additionally, when I simply double click, a cmd style window flashes briefly and vanishes. I can't read what it says, if anything.
So I skipped that bit and changed my IP settings (as to set up the lan login). When I try to run either of the t_start_server files (the normal one or the login server one), I receive the following error (I don't have anywhere to host the screenshots, I guess):
*** CLEARING OLD LOGS ***
The system cannot find the path specified.
'shared_memory.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file.

And a window appears stating 'Windows cannot find 'perl'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again.

This occurs when I run the file as administrator. If I simply use it without administrator, I get the same 'clearing old logs' and the system cannot find the path specified, but it begins to load items, factions, loot, skill caps, spells, and base data, and then it delivers the same alert window about perl.

I know this is a long comment, and it's my first in the forum to boot, AND I'm technically challenged, but I feel like nothing should be wrong. I feel like maybe there's a really simple fix that I'm missing, somehow, and that you could help me.

If this is the wrong place to post, I apologize. Like I said. I'm new. Any kind of insight would be appreciated.

EDIT: I ran eqemu_update.pl through cmd.
It said 'Perl Version is 5.12.3
MySQL path not found, please add the path for automatic database upgrading to continue...' Was also getting alerts that one of the perl.dll's was missing.

EDIT AGAIN:
So I uninstalled Perl through the control panel and installed the version from the old extremely long server setup guide. I think now it's working? There's no images on your page of the cmd windows of the running server so I'm not 100% (and I'm still D/ling my old SoD through steam, so I can't test it yet.) I've got Four windows running, ucs.exe, queryserv.exe, world.exe, and 0:sleeping. There's nothing concerning in any of them, and it looks pretty good to me. I guess I'll edit this for the third time to offer some closure when I finish with Steam.

Last edited by BackTawk; 06-18-2016 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: More information
Old 06-19-2016, 03:06 AM
Krran
Sarnak

From your last edit, that is what I have on the screen when my server starts up properly.

Now, start the game and see if you connect.
Then, see if your server shows up.
Then see if you can create a new character (don't forget to create an account in the DB) and get into the world.
Finally, check and see if things work properly (hand-in quests, spawns, killing stuff, zoning, all that good stuff).
Than go play for real, or whatever you intend.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:28 AM
BackTawk
Fire Beetle

Set up the server, loaded up client. Login and all that worked. Into the server I find some issues...

Namely, after creating an iksar monk, I get a series of abilities that are messy.

It says 'You have gained the ability "Unknown DB String 9031-1" at a cost of 0 ability points.

There's a whole bunch of those messages...Which is bad.

It ALSO says Your XML files are not compatible with current EverQuest files, certain windows may not perform correctly. Use "/loadskin Defaults 1" to load the Everquest default skin. I'm not sure what that means.

I also don't know how to update my XML files, because as I mentioned before I can't seem to run EQEmu_update. A cmd window appears for a moment and then vanishes, and I can't tell what it says, even when I load it through the cmd prompt, regardless of whether I use administrator or not. I don't know enough about all of this to know what to do with this information. EDIT: Actually, running through the cmd prompt, I get the message I posted in the last post minus the perl crap. "MySQL path not found, please add the path for automatic database upgrading to continue..." and then it exits script. AFter a cursory glance around the internet, I found mariadb-10.0.21 -winx64 and it's listed around 240 megs, while the one I got with the installer weighs in at 83.4. Of course I'm assuming that the db is the MySQL stuff, but I don't know for sure. I'm wondering if my initial download attempt failed here and there without alerting me to it.

Last edited by BackTawk; 06-19-2016 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: More info, again
Old 06-23-2016, 12:47 PM
gothmonk
Fire Beetle

Thank you for this installer.. Ran great on a 2012 R2 VM. Minimal configuration required for a private login server. I'll probably leave mine on 24/7 on my little Intel 8-core Atom ESXi host... Minnesota EQ is the server name. Let the ports through the firewall, so it should work like a champ.. I'll have to hit the Mines in a bit.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:11 PM
Uleat
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackTawk
It says 'You have gained the ability "Unknown DB String 9031-1" at a cost of 0 ability points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackTawk
It ALSO says Your XML files are not compatible with current EverQuest files, certain windows may not perform correctly. Use "/loadskin Defaults 1" to load the Everquest default skin. I'm not sure what that means.
Both of these are client-sided and not installer script (or server) related.

The first is basically saying that the server gave you abilities that your client doesn't recognize - updating your dbstr file may or may not help...

The second is your client saying it doesn't like something in your ui files. The "/loadskin" comment is a client-based command you can use to restore its defaults.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 07-09-2016, 12:59 AM
stringz07
Fire Beetle

After a previous failed attempt to manually install and setup a server, I used this automated one (really not sure how I didn't come across this before....).

I am able to launch the client and see my private server name (though when I left it with the default name, it showed up as "Q Installer" instead of the actual default server name). After selecting my server (shows up green, with status "Up"), i hit play and get an unexpected error with the following error showing up in the login server log:

"[Login Server] Play received from client, server number *random string of numbers* sequence 5
[Error] Client requested a user to world but supplied an invalid id of *random string of numbers matching line above*"

I can't figure out what exactly is happening here. Additionally, when I try to connect using the EQEmu login server, I can get to the server select, select my server, but get the "Unexpected Error" message there as well.

Anyone have any suggestions here?
Old 07-09-2016, 02:24 AM
stringz07
Fire Beetle

I reinstalled EQ from steam (have not launched the game in steam, and have made a backup of the game files immediately after the files were installed), and am no longer getting the previous error message (and my server names are appearing correctly now), but I am having a different problem now.

When attempting to connect to any server using the EQEmu Login Server, the client just turns black after hitting "Play Everquest" from the server select screen, and has to be shut down via task manager.

The same thing happens when using the private login server, but I get the following notice in the LoginServer window as soon as I hit "Play Everquest" in the server select screen:

"[Login Server] Play received from client, server number 4 sequence 5.
[LoginServer] Client disconnected from the server, removing client."

Not sure where to go from here...

EDIT: As I mentioned, I downloaded the Everquest F2P client from Steam (this was the recommended download in some 2015 posts...but have not seen anything after that). Is this not the right client any more? I know ROF2 specifically was listed on the wiki, but wanted to be clear...

Last edited by stringz07; 07-09-2016 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: light bulb?
Old 07-09-2016, 12:34 PM
Uleat
Developer

The current steam is not supported and results in the behavior that you described.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 07-09-2016, 02:50 PM
stringz07
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uleat View Post
The current steam is not supported and results in the behavior that you described.
Indeed...grabbed the client files off of my laptop and the game launched right up!
Old 07-14-2016, 05:26 PM
purpose
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Akkadius: Implemented standardized zone controller scripts (Rule Zone, UseZoneController) Defaulted to true
- When a zone boots, it will spawn an invisible npc by the name of zone_controller
- Lua and Perl scripts can be represented with this npc as zone_controller.pl/lua
- This NPC's ID is ruled be define ZONE_CONTROLLER_NPC_ID 10
- Two EVENT's uniquely are handled with this NPC/controller (They only work with the zone_controller NPC)
- EVENT_SPAWN_ZONE :: All NPC spawns in the zone trigger the controller and pass the following variables:
$spawned_entity_id
$spawned_npc_id
- EVENT_DEATH_ZONE :: All NPC deaths in the zone trigger the controller event and pass the following variables:
$killer_id
$killer_damage
$killer_spell
$killer_skill
$killed_npc_id
Decided to post this question, as others might as well.

Is the above update included in the repack? If so, do the instructions differ from from http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37660 ?

Thank you!!
Old 07-14-2016, 06:46 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpose View Post
Decided to post this question, as others might as well.

Is the above update included in the repack? If so, do the instructions differ from from http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37660 ?

Thank you!!
Pull down the latest binaries with option 11 in eqemu_update.pl
Old 07-14-2016, 08:26 PM
purpose
Fire Beetle

Okay got that part!

Since there is no templates folder under /quests, does it require creating that folder?

Also, there is no global_player.pl global_npc.pl (only global_player.pl) would I create those and put them in the global folder?

Probably a very newb question...

Hopefully I am not hijacking this thread
Old 07-14-2016, 08:27 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpose View Post
Okay got that part!

Since there is no templates folder under /quests, does it require creating that folder?

Also, there is no global_player.pl global_npc.pl (only global_player.pl) would I create those and put them in the global folder?

Probably a very newb question...

Hopefully I am not hijacking this thread
You kind of are, this is meant for the installer not support questions
Old 07-14-2016, 08:34 PM
purpose
Fire Beetle

Understood, Ill post it under support.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:21 PM
Vayaa
Fire Beetle

Hey there,

EDIT: Everything ok now, I tried again with a fresh Server Install and it's working great now Kudos to this!

All the best,
Vaya