Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-17-2005, 06:07 PM
nachosamurai
Fire Beetle

Question FAQ for idiots???

Has anyone with a ton of freetime and initiative and a heart of gold thought about making an FAQ for idiots? I read the FAQ and I'm more confused than when I first started.. :/

Granted, I'm an idiot. Is there a more informative FAQ somewhere? Unofficial maybe? I mean, I've browsed a bit and there's plenty of posts asking some good questions, of course most of them are the same questions, and it got me to thinking that rather than using search, which I'm wary of because I never really know what to search for and often I try to search but get no results or a ton of results that have nothing to do with what I search for (granted, I'm an idiot so I'd guess I'm misusing the search feature), but wouldn't it be a good idea to help out those of us that aren't as quick on the uptake with a nice, easy to understand, informative FAQ for people COMPLETELY newbie to EQemu?

Please understand I don't mean to be insulting or offensive, please don't flame me :O
Old 08-18-2005, 06:47 AM
Woodlife Treestrider
Banned

I can try. I will try and think of some off the top of my head, let me know if you want some more.
------------------------------------------------

Question: Is EQEmu legal?
Answer: This is a hard question. Sony will tell you yes in order to keep you from doing it, but a person who knows law very well may tell you different. I personaly believe that EQEmu only goes against the EULA for Everquest, but that is not punishable law I believe. Also, I think that as long as you do not gain any profit (i.e.: take a monthly payment from patrons) from running the server, it is still in the category of personal use, not commercial use.

Question: How do I play EQEmu?
Answer: Go to your Everquest folder, click on a file, type "eqhost"-while a file in the Everquest folder is highlighted- and it will bring you to "eqhost.txt". Open it and type in the EQEmu address, found somewhere on this site. Sorry I cannot think of it atm. But anyway, as long as you have not patched too live for quite awhile, you will be able to play.

Question: How do I setup my own server?
Answer: Very long process. It is pretty simple but just requires patience and the knowledge that the search option is your friend. I will try and find the link to the guide for the latest server setup and post it.

Question: Can I play EQEmu even if I patched to live?
Answer: No.

Question: What is backpatching and where can I find a place to do it?
Answer: Backpatching is a way of reverting to the old, Emu compatible, files for Everquest. This is not at all allowed in these forums as Sony will sooner or later find it and bitch you out about giving out files to the general public. But anyway, backpatching is not anywhere as far as I can tell. Best bet is to ask a friend for the files, because EQEmu will not support it.

Question: What type of servers are out there?
Answer: The three basic genres of servers are: Legit, Semi-Legit, and Non-Legit. Legit is a server where leveling, gaining items, and so on is stricly close to live, and absolutely NO cheats (#level, #zone, #goto, ect) are available, and everyone is required to do it the old fun way. Semi-Legit can be a little bit of Non and fully legit servers. Semi-Legit could include a few GM commands (#level, #zone, ect) but only very few are used. Majority of Semi's are just #zone, and #goto. Non-Legit is an all out cheating server where #level, #zone, #summonitem, ect, are used. These servers are ones that leveling and gaining items are unneccasary. The sub-genres mainly include: GuildWar, PvP (not GuildWars like), PvE, Custom. These genres can fall under any of the main genres (example server: Legit GuildWars with custom zones/items/quests). GuildWars is a PvP server. Only difference is that you choose a guild to go in, and you try and be the ruling guild of the server (in a nutshell). PvP is just that. No explanation necessary. PvE needs no explanation as well. Custom would be servers where starting zones, items, quests, zones (possibly), mobs, ect are all redone and not much is like EQLive.

Question: What are recommended servers?
Answer: Personal opinion to be honest. Best bet is to test the water of all the open servers untill you find which one you would like. Also try and watch the amount of time each server spends closed, down, ect. This will help in choosing a server you will enjoy.

----------------------------------------------------------

Cannot think of much more important questions, please let me know if you can think of any and I will add it. Btw, you are not an idiot if you ask questions. May be miss informed and do not realize that search will answer all your questions, but you are not an idiot.