Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:02 AM
drakelord
Hill Giant

Default Dedicated Server for Rent

Hey guys. I currently have a dedicated server that is sitting in a datacenter in NYC. All I use it for is keeping personal databases and what not. For the cost I am paying monthly for this thing, it would make more sense if a little more was done with it. So, I am choosing to "donate" the server to an up and coming EQEmu server. And what I mean by donate is give a group access to run their own EQEmu server.

As for what server to host on here, I would like one that has been online for at least a month, and is looking to expand past a home computer or something along those lines. For custom servers, a decent amount of content should already be made. The playerbase should be at least 20+ during peak hours.

The group chosen will be given SSH and MySQL access, and possibly other points of access if it is deemed necessary.

If for some reason I decide to shut down the server or to remove you due to violating the playerbase rule, I will give you 30 days notice to find a new home.

Server Specs:
OS - Debian 5
CPU - AMD XP2400+ (2.0 ghz clock speed)
RAM - 512 MB DDR2
HD - 120GB 7200rpm
Bandwidth - 1200GB/month

Server is connected to a 100mbps switch port.

For any questions or if you wish to apply for the space, feel free to post here or PM me.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:36 PM
drakelord
Hill Giant

Since people have been pm'ing me about this, let me a little more specific here.

Rent = free. No cost for the hosting.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:43 PM
bowmaster
Discordant

wow , thats Quite good

Im going to do a post about this on forums on City of Carnages forum , they need a decent host

Irs a Very Nice Server aswell
Old 08-24-2009, 03:54 PM
drakelord
Hill Giant

Its an alright server, , but it will still handle more than what most servers currently listed on the EMU have player wise.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:09 PM
trevius
Developer

That is a very generous offer, Drakelord. I just wanted to mention that the server sounds nice accept that the RAM might be a bit small to handle servers with more than 20 players like you are wanting as a minimum for it. With only 11 zones in use right now on my server and 56 players online, my server is currently using 1.35GBs of RAM and that is with the server just being rebooted about 10 hours ago. After a few days of not restarting the server, the RAM usage can build up from zones to well over 4GBs. I have 8GBs of RAM and a 10GB swap. Previously, I had 4GBs of RAM and found that leaving the server up for a couple of days straight could easily get into a couple GB of my swap file. The good thing is that the swap file use didn't seem to affect server performance. So, if you are going to only have 512MB of RAM, I would recommend maybe setting a huge (10GB) swap file for it. Otherwise, the server will need to be restarted more than once per day if it regularly has more than 20 or so players on it. Another option might be to do regular zone restarts to ensure that none of them build up too much RAM, since restarting them should clear them out.

I am not exactly sure what causes the high RAM usage, but I know my server isn't the only one that sees that. I think there are still a couple of memory leaks in the source code and maybe certain scripts are causing memory issues. Either way, I just wanted to mention this because it is probably good to consider when moving to a dedicated host like that. Personally, I would recommend 2GB min and preferably 4GB of RAM depending on how many players the server is going to have.

Also, just for reference, my server uses about 150GB Upload and 50GB download of bandwidth per month. So, that should be well within the limitation of your dedicated server.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:09 PM
sasaluge
Sarnak

put the garage box up on this bitch
Old 08-25-2009, 08:04 AM
Dantes
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasaluge View Post
put the garage box up on this bitch
<looks at his garage server on his right and wonders...>

How does he know?!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:27 AM
sasaluge
Sarnak

cause i know all bl00b, move on
Old 08-25-2009, 12:33 PM
drakelord
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
That is a very generous offer, Drakelord. I just wanted to mention that the server sounds nice accept that the RAM might be a bit small to handle servers with more than 20 players like you are wanting as a minimum for it. With only 11 zones in use right now on my server and 56 players online, my server is currently using 1.35GBs of RAM and that is with the server just being rebooted about 10 hours ago. After a few days of not restarting the server, the RAM usage can build up from zones to well over 4GBs. I have 8GBs of RAM and a 10GB swap. Previously, I had 4GBs of RAM and found that leaving the server up for a couple of days straight could easily get into a couple GB of my swap file. The good thing is that the swap file use didn't seem to affect server performance. So, if you are going to only have 512MB of RAM, I would recommend maybe setting a huge (10GB) swap file for it. Otherwise, the server will need to be restarted more than once per day if it regularly has more than 20 or so players on it. Another option might be to do regular zone restarts to ensure that none of them build up too much RAM, since restarting them should clear them out.

I am not exactly sure what causes the high RAM usage, but I know my server isn't the only one that sees that. I think there are still a couple of memory leaks in the source code and maybe certain scripts are causing memory issues. Either way, I just wanted to mention this because it is probably good to consider when moving to a dedicated host like that. Personally, I would recommend 2GB min and preferably 4GB of RAM depending on how many players the server is going to have.

Also, just for reference, my server uses about 150GB Upload and 50GB download of bandwidth per month. So, that should be well within the limitation of your dedicated server.
If increased ram is required, I will upgrade the server for whomever needs it. Not a big deal for me,

Edit: I will go hunting for those memory leaks I think though.