Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:52 AM
stanwalker
Fire Beetle

Default Players cant connect to my server

Hey all, I have been using these fantastic forums for a week or so setting up my server. I got it running and I can play with my roommate, but friends outside the LAN cant join. My server shows up on the public list but kicks them to server select after they sit at a blank screen for a minute. I found one other post about router forwarding and even enabled the DMZ just to test but nothing worked. I'm on a DI-604 Motorola router and the post I found talked about a Linksys, I'm not real strong with networking so I cant figure out how to open the right ports if thats even my problem. Any help would be appriceated. I have tried changing several things with my config and router but no luck at all :/ Here is my config

<?xml version="1.0">
<server>
<world>
<shortname>devo</shortname>
<longname>Mith Marr FTW</longname>

<!-- Only specify these two if you really think you need to. (read: You don't) -->
<address>some.server.com</address>
<localaddress>192.168.0.1</localaddress>

<!-- Loginserver information. Defaults shown -->
<loginserver>
<host>eqemulator.net</host>
<port>5998</port>
<account></account>
<password></password>
</loginserver>

<!-- Server status. Default is unlocked -->
<!--<locked/>-->
<!-- <unlocked/> -->

<!-- Sets the ip/port for the tcp connections. Both zones and console (if enabled). Defaults are shown -->
<tcp ip="localhost" port="9000" telnet="disable"/>

<!-- Sets the shared key used by zone/launcher to connect to world -->
<key>some long random string</key>

<!-- Enable and set the port for the HTTP service. Defaults are shown -->
<http port="9080" enabled="false" mimefile="mime.types" />
</world>

<!-- Chatserver (channels) information. Defaults shown -->
<chatserver>
<host>channels.eqemulator.net</host>
<port>7778</port>
</chatserver>

<!-- Mailserver (in-game mail) information. Defaults shown -->
<mailserver>
<host>channels.eqemulator.net</host>
<port>7779</port>
</mailserver>

<zones>
<defaultstatus>20</defaultstatus>

<!-- Sets port range for world to use to auto configure zones -->
<ports low="7000" high="7100"/>
</zones>

<!-- Database configuration, replaces db.ini. Defaults shown -->
<database>
<host>localhost</host>
<port>3306</port>
<username>root</username>
<password>*******</password>
<db>peq</db>
</database>

<!-- Launcher Configuration -->
<launcher>
<!-- <logprefix>logs/zone-</logprefix> -->
<!-- <logsuffix>.log</logsuffix> -->
<!-- <exe>zone.exe or ./zone</exe> -->
<!-- <timers restart="10000" reterminate="10000"> -->
</launcher>

<!-- File locations. Defaults shown -->
<files>
<!-- <spells>spells_us.txt</spells> -->
<!-- <opcodes>opcodes.conf</opcodes> -->
<!-- <logsettings>log.ini</logsettings> -->
<!-- <eqtime>eqtime.cfg</eqtime> -->
</files>
<!-- Directory locations. Defaults shown -->
<directories>
<!-- <maps>Maps</maps> -->
<!-- <quests>quests</quests> -->
<!-- <plugins>plugins</plugins> -->
</directories>
</server>
Old 03-20-2009, 03:30 AM
trevius
Developer

The FAQ in my sig might be of some help. Basically, it sounds like your issue is that your ports are either not forwarded properly, or you are running some type of firewall that is blocking the connections from the outside. If you setup your server as a DMZ in your router/modem, then it should be working. At that point, the only thing I can really think of that would stop people would be firewalls, including the Windows build-in firewall. Try making sure you have it and any other firewalls disabled. If you run a security suite or something like that, it could be blocking them as well.

Also, after looking at your config, I noticed you have this section uncommented:

Code:
That is only to be used it you run a mini-login server. If you are running a server that people connect to from the Public Login Server, then you do not ever want to set those settings. They will always mess up connectivity. Either remove those from your config or comment them out again. There is a reason why it says the following line right before that part of the config:

Code:
<!-- Only specify these two if you really think you need to. (read: You don't) -->
In other words, you don't need to set those 2 and it will cause problems if you do.

Last edited by trevius; 03-20-2009 at 11:33 AM..
Old 03-21-2009, 04:10 PM
stanwalker
Fire Beetle

Hmm ok, Im still having the same problem, I set up my config properly and made sure all firewalls are off, I opened the DMZ for all ports and people outside my lan still cant join, im at a total loss. I read the FAQ and several posts about this but still no help, any ideas?
Old 03-24-2009, 07:42 AM
Trouble
Fire Beetle

Hello, i am having the same problem except my other computers on different routers can't connect to my server, only the computer with the server on it can connect to it. I am trying to get it setup to be public so people outside my LAN can connect. I have been working on this for the past month and i can't seem to figure it out, so if anyone knows why or has any suggestions that would be great, thanks in advance.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:29 PM
trevius
Developer

There aren't too many things that would block outside players from connecting. Make sure you have ports 9000, 7000-7100 and 5998 all Port Range forwarded on your router to point to the server you IP you are running (192.168.1.100 or something like that). The other common reason is if you set this part of the config, which you shouldn't be setting:

Code:
Remove that section of the config from your config file if you aren't sure about how to comment it out. But, to comment it out, you would just need to make sure it looks like this:

Code:
<!-- <address>some.server.com</address> -->
<!-- <localaddress>192.168.0.1</localaddress> -->

Last edited by trevius; 03-25-2009 at 03:33 AM..
Old 03-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Demi-God

You still might have to specify the addresses above if you have a strange setup, I have my world server behind a firewall then a router so it doesn't detect the appropriate IP's sometimes.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:22 AM
Trouble
Fire Beetle

i see well my setup is a bit different i have 4 routers and im going through 3, so setting up the port forwarding might be different, im not sure on how i can do that, if anyone has any suggestions or knows how to do it with 4 routers please let me know thank you.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:36 AM
trevius
Developer

Yeah, with 4 routers, I can see where you would run into issues lmao! You still wouldn't want to set those settings I mentioned in my last post though, leave those commented out as I mentioned.

What you do need to do is ensure that your ports are forwarded through all of the way to your server. Also, make sure you are using Port RANGE Forwarding, not just Port Forwarding as they are not the same thing and normal Port Forwarding will not work.

Basically, you need to figure out the path of the traffic from your internet to the server. If you have 4 routers in between there, then each router needs to have port range forwarding of the listed ports sent to the IP of the next router and so on until the last router that connects directly to your server has the ports set to go right to the server.

I am not sure what you would need 4 routers for, but if you are trying to run a server from a network that isn't 100% your own personal network all of the way to the modem (like a college campus/dorms, or a companies network), then it is very possible that they have a proxy set on their network. If so, then most proxies block most of the needed ports for EQEmu to work and you would either need to contact the network admins to get them to open the ports, or you would just be out of luck.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:17 AM
Trouble
Fire Beetle

ok thank you, i will try that sometime today right now im about to go to bed, and to answer your question as to why i have 4 routers, no im not on a campus or a company network its my home network, i have 12 computers on the network at all times whether there ethernet or wireless, we have one router for wireless networking and ethernet then the other 3 are just ethernet networking. But i do have a question. Do you have any idea how i can get the IP of my other 2 routers ( i currently have one of the ethernet ones forwarding to the router my computer goes through and then the one my computer goes through is forwarding to my computer IP ) what i need to do now by what you have said is get the IP of the other two routers and forward the ports to the router my computer is going through correct? So if you happen to know how i can get the other router ip's that'd be great, also do i have to forward anything from my cable modem?

Thanks for all your help.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:26 AM
Trouble
Fire Beetle

Sorry for double post, i forgot to mention only 2 of my router's ip's come up when i go to command prompt and do ipconfig /all (this is how i got the second routers ip)
Old 03-29-2009, 06:12 AM
Iwasseridium
Fire Beetle

I think I might be able to help you with your outside connection problem, first of all find the IP of the pc you wish to run the server on, should be a 192.168.0.? number, and as Image has said to me do this. you can find the thread here http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/sho...t=27397&page=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by image View Post
You need to disable DMZ to first stop exposing your computer from the Internet.

Get rid of the filters, and the other world settings up in virtual server.

Then you want to use the Firewall tab with the following:

Source (drop down) WAN (text field is * as well)
Destination (drop down) LAN (text field is your local IP to the server)
Port Range (UDP) 9000 - 9080

That will open your internet ip to forward all ports 9000-9080 to your destination (local ip)

EverQuest protocol is UDP, server is TCP keep your TCP private and local it is just as vulnerable as the EQ protocol.

9000 is the world port, you can use 9001-9080 for zone ports set it in your eqemu_config.xml
Then add in your eqemu_config.xml

Quote:
Add:

<zones>
<defaultstatus>20</defaultstatus>

<!-- Sets port range for world to use to auto configure zones -->
<ports low="9001" high="9080"/>
</zones>

Before </server> at the end there
And it should work.
Good luck
Old 03-12-2017, 02:47 AM
anthonny3af
Fire Beetle

Default no one out side of my home can logon

this is my eqemu_config svere is up and runing i have everthing working EOC 2.0 loging everthings working 100% but friends can not log in plz help thank you

<?xml version="1.0">
<server>
<world>
<shortname>+++++++</shortname>
<longname>+++++++</longname>

<loginserver1>
<host>login.eqemulator.net</host>
<port>5998</port>
<account></account>
<password></password>
</loginserver1>
<loginserver2>
<host>192.+++.++.++</host>
<port>5998</port>
<account></account>
<password></password>
</loginserver2>

<tcp ip="127.0.0.1" port="9000" telnet="enable"/>

<key>1234567890123456789</key>

<http port="9080" enabled="true" mimefile="mime.types" />
</world>

<chatserver>
<host></host>
<port>7500</port>
</chatserver>

<mailserver>
<host></host>
<port>7500</port>
</mailserver>

<zones>
<defaultstatus>0</defaultstatus>

<ports low="7000" high="7400"/>
</zones>

<database>
<host>localhost</host>
<port>3306</port>
<password>++++++</password>
<db>peq</db>
</database>

<qsdatabase>
<host>localhost</host>
<port>3306</port>
<password>++++++</password>
<db>peq</db>
</qsdatabase>

<webinterface>
<port>9081</port>
</webinterface>

<launcher>
</launcher>

<files>
</files>
<directories>
</directories>
</server>
Old 03-12-2017, 05:30 AM
jshows1
Sarnak

ZombieSoul actually just helped me with this in another thread. In your eqemu_config file, at the top, under longname, add in the address tags like you see here. Then insert your external address. That simply worked for me. Not sure if this is your issue or not, but give it a try.

Code:
<server>
	<world>
		<shortname>servername</shortname>
		<longname>longservername</longname>
		<address>external_ip</address> 

<loginserver>
			<host>127.0.0.1</host>
			<port>5998</port>
			<account></account>
			<password></password>
		</loginserver>
Old 03-13-2017, 04:30 AM
anthonny3af
Fire Beetle

Default Ok cool

Ok I give it a try can you link others forum where you got help
Old 03-17-2017, 04:19 AM
anthonny3af
Fire Beetle

Still not working if I try to login using mobile internet ip will not login get kick back to account and username and password