Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::News

General::News EQemu news posts.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:38 PM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

You could always install and use another database if you want bots.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:42 PM
Warkral
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0ctrnl View Post
You could always install and use another database if you want bots.
Sure, could you point me in the right direction? How, and what database?

Edit: I'll just go old school and set up the server from scratch. This is a great repack and works as advertised. I was up and running in an hour and a half, logged in, running around (could have been sooner but I was making dinner taking care of the kids in between steps), but without bots its a no go for my playstyle. Great job though.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:01 PM
Drazel
Fire Beetle

Default Awesome

I read through this thread and still messed up the first time. You have to make sure that your pathing has C:\Program Files\MariaDB 10.0\bin included before you reboot.

I didn't do that thinking I would be able to once it restarted, nope I had to use the install disk to recover to a restore point and start over. Once I removed my head from deep holes, I did the install again and rebooted the computer.

It was interesting how when I left out the pathing the reboot acted like it was still installing stuff, till it reached the error, than my computer won't boot any further to windows, even once I stopped the repack.

When I restored my computer and did the install over again, on reboot it just went to windows. I didn't see any further installation. I thought that was odd.

When I started the server it showed pending on your server list, I am guessing I need to register or something to get access?

Serious accolades to Akkadius for the awesome installer.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:39 AM
EQBard76
Fire Beetle

I strongly encourage anyone who is considering downloading this repack to read every single comment on every single page of this thread. I wish I had.

To its credit, the repack DOES work. It promotes an easy to install solution, and is certainly easier to trying to set up an eqemu server manually.

That said, I strongly advise you to pay close attention to the author's condescending screenshots of the red arrows pointing to his "disclaimer". If the verbage contained therein doesn't make sense to you (in other words, if you don't know what a "virtual machine" is, or how to set one up), then DO NOT INSTALL THIS REPACK. If you do, then your computer may have the following issues;

1). Total loss of the use of Internet Explorer. Short of reinstalling windows, IE may (and probably will) completely cease to function on your computer if you install this repack. (*Before all the smart-alecks swoop in with "you should be using chrome anyway yulk yulk", that's totally not the point. Other than the author's vague "disclaimer", there is no indication in the body of the OP that this repack can (and does) cause a major piece of industry-standard software to stop working, and that should be explicitly stated in the description of the repack, not dismissed within a broad disclaimer.

2). This repack will not uninstall. Ever. Attempting to do so will result in an error 1306, caused by MariaDB 10.0 (which results in the repack reversing out of the uninstall), followed by multiple pervasive attempts of the repack suite to reinstall. It will do so multiple times (I counted 23) on a restart, re-establishing the attempts immediately after cancelling. Then it will continue to do so intermittently throughout the day, usually when attempting to open any Windows folder, or basically when attempting to perform any action that requires double-clicking in Windows. Again, beyond a condescending screenshot pointing to a vague, downplayed disclaimer, there is no warning that this repack is literally an invasive, annoying and inconvenient computer virus that can not be removed once installed.

At the end of the day, it's totally my own fault for not knowing what I was doing. But ironically, had I known what I was doing, I probably wouldn't have been drawn to an "easy, all-in-one solution" in the first place. As such, I rue having ever seen this thread, and having been tricked into downloading malware that cannot be removed.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:00 AM
Akkadius
Administrator

Really? Condescending? What a joke...

If you can't understand that there is a certain level of risk in using something that is put before you do anything with it I don't know what to tell you.

No one has to use the repack, you can most certainly follow the server setup guide and create everything on your own.

And maybe what you also aren't realizing is that I did this to help people, not make some salty bastard inconvenienced.

It took a good 15-20 hours to get everything "right" about the repack, make sure that it blew up as little as possible. Considering all of the shit I did run into before and all the manual registry cleaning I had to do before this repack I'd say for the things that do go wry (Internet Explorer) is not a big deal at all. Not to mention having tested it on every single operating system myself after the fact before releasing it to everyone.

And when I've uninstalled the repack, I've had no issues either so others are hitting a condition that I'm not aware of, though looks like Ghanja did some troubleshooting after my post that you can follow.

Despite the salties that only seem to post when there's a problem, this repack has definitely held its weight in value in the community.

Last edited by Akkadius; 08-26-2015 at 11:33 AM..
Old 08-26-2015, 11:24 AM
ghanja
Dragon

FWIW's, the error is being produced due to the MariaDB/MySQL Daemon having a file lock on a log file.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/opened_files_view.html

Is a good tool to verify this.

I believe I used:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/processhacker/

As well as finally stopping the daemon through "services" typed into the Windows search bar (click Windows type in "services" without the quotes, then press Enter).

After that, I was able to completely remove the repack. Again, FWIW.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:55 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

This repack is overall a good idea, it makes life simpler for the beginner, despite the back steps as far as IE or file-locking (which can be avoided by force unlocking programs/files). In my first attempt of creating a server it took me nearly 8 hours to set one up, this is due to how archaic the old setup guide was. Now, thanks to the new Wiki, you shouldn't really have to use this repack unless you don't want to take the time to read a step-by-step guide. Thanks to Akkadius for this, the Wiki, and thanks to VSAB for the Windows guide, as well as the other users who have provided their input for Linux-based server setup. Links to all of these can be found below.

Windows
Debian 6
Debian 7
Fedora 20
Old 08-26-2015, 02:09 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Exactly. I had to do it the old way, out of date guides pieced together. Hell there are videos now, I wish I had a video back then. But there again I would rather do it the hard way. When you are done you know your server a lot better IMHO.

For people just wanting to see a particular aspect or not sure if they are going really do a server for a long period, the repack works.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:17 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingly_Krab View Post
This repack is overall a good idea, it makes life simpler for the beginner, despite the back steps as far as IE or file-locking (which can be avoided by force unlocking programs/files). In my first attempt of creating a server it took me nearly 8 hours to set one up, this is due to how archaic the old setup guide was. Now, thanks to the new Wiki, you shouldn't really have to use this repack unless you don't want to take the time to read a step-by-step guide. Thanks to Akkadius for this, the Wiki, and thanks to VSAB for the Windows guide, as well as the other users who have provided their input for Linux-based server setup. Links to all of these can be found below.

Windows
Debian 6
Debian 7
Fedora 20
Well, even if you follow a guide. There's tons of things I did that the guide doesn't cover that I fine tune to the detail. I definitely wish I had something so easy when it took my first time of setting up a server and it took a few days to get things "mostly" and "partially" working.

Even if you are very seasoned, there's still quite a bit of setup time and lots of different places you have to go to compile assets. Hours with possibly things missing versus minutes with dead precision is a huge difference.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:29 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Updated with stable binaries.

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39317
Old 09-13-2015, 04:05 AM
Yummy
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkadius View Post
Thank you, Akkadius!
Old 10-12-2015, 10:04 PM
RussellMatt27
Fire Beetle

Hi Akkadius! I have been running this repack with no huge issue till recently when I updated to the newest compiled exes you created. Now I have an issue with client to server sync where clients get out of sync, then can't see each othhr in zones, or see the same mobs. Any ideas? Thanks sir!
Old 10-12-2015, 10:27 PM
provocating
Demi-God

I think it is a long standing issue.

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39417
Old 10-12-2015, 11:30 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellMatt27 View Post
Hi Akkadius! I have been running this repack with no huge issue till recently when I updated to the newest compiled exes you created. Now I have an issue with client to server sync where clients get out of sync, then can't see each othhr in zones, or see the same mobs. Any ideas? Thanks sir!
Another good thing to know is what clients the players were using. The only time I had a player report of this was when one player was using SoF and the other Titanium.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:58 AM
RussellMatt27
Fire Beetle

Thanks Provocating! I tried searching on Google and directly on the site but found nothing since I wasn't sure how to title the search query I guess.

I can give system particulars, I know for certain all clients that have reported the issue are using Titanium (including myself although I've never had it happen to me).

OS - WinSvr 2008R2 VM
CPU - 2vCPU
RAM - 4GB

It appears it would happen in any zone based on the other post, I've only had it reported in Hate/Sky so far. This also seems to coincide with another issue being seen with manastone and health ticks not updating till next server tick, and AOE mez ticks breaking much faster than when running the original repack code base. Do you think a client version change would make any difference?