Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 05:47 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

Quote:
FNW came along recently and somehow talked you into letting him see if HE could get some of the fixes converted

Quote:
It sure was a good thing FNW managed to threaten me into sharing my source.
I don't see him mentioning threatening at all.. now you are fabricating things to make us look bad?
Old 12-02-2004, 05:48 AM
Wiz
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonin
Quote:
FNW came along recently and somehow talked you into letting him see if HE could get some of the fixes converted

Quote:
It sure was a good thing FNW managed to threaten me into sharing my source.
I don't see him mentioning threatening at all.. now you are fabricating things to make us look bad?
It was hyperbole in response to the vivid imaginations of tcsmyworld. FNW did not talk me into anything, I shared my source with the other devs and after looking at it, FNW decided to integrate it.

Look. I really don't care that much about this topic. If you people want to grandstand, you can grandstand. If you want Melwin gone, talk to LE. I'm not gonna defend him if he's been acting dumb, but this all seems to be a clear case of making FABULOUS DRAMA out of nothing much at all to me.

As a byline, TCS, if you're gonna start a post by accusing someone of being ill-informed, it probably shouldn't contain a rack of easily disproven lies after that. It makes you look dumb.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:55 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

I'm as fed up as any of the PEQ team members with all this, and will (reluctantly :() support a decision to leave if they feel it's the step they want to take. I just ask that my fellow PEQ members please stay civil on this board. If we're going to end this project, then let us do so in a way that lets everyone (who counts) appreciate the hundreds of hours of work we've done on it. Let's not stoop to the level that those who made us leave are at.

To the moderators of this board, you have failed to moderate it in the professional manner that any forum's users deserve. Because of this, you lost respect. I'll lay out some places where you dropped the ball, as I have a shred of hope inside of me that you’re capable of learning from your mistakes and making sure a big segment of the EQEMu community isn’t lost again:

Allowing a known ban evader to remain on the boards.
MNJ is BBum 3.0, who had previously received strikes and bans on his last 2 accounts. His 3.0 account automatically inherits his previous strikes, which I believe far exceed 3. He was allowed to remain and do his thing. And the thing he did was cause irreparable damage to the community.

Allowing blatant flame baiting to go unchecked
On most boards, flame baiting is against TOS. If it's not on this one, it should be. Flame/troll baiting is posting a response that the poster KNOWS doesn't offer any positive contributing to the thread, but instead is very likely – in fact, the poster usually hopes it happens -- to elicit flaming and bashing, and in general turn the thread uncivil. In most boards that mod in a professional manner, the baiting post is modded BEFORE it has a chance to spread its damage, or the thread is locked if it went too far unchecked.

Flame baiting is NOT criticizing. The PEQ team can handle it like anybody else. And a few of MNJ’s criticisms are legitimate. Not legit in that we agree with him, but legit in that those criticisms/complaints are fine to voice. Others, however, offer no contribution to the thread and were intended to draw flames.
“PEQ Server Sux”
“nothing you just said goes against my point, which is, peq server is lame. so theres really nothing i care to argue with you about lol”
“dont be mad cause i let you know you wasted 300 dollars to keep a shitty server up. unlike some people i wont not let you know your server blows out of respect.”
These don’t contribute a damn thing to the thread and are meant to turn the thread uncivil. As were those bogus support postings from Stray* that specifically addressed Sotonin. When the mods don’t clamp down on a baiter – and even SUPPORT the baiter by trying to mod the flame responses – they encourage more of the same.

In this case, the PEQ team was the victim of the flame baiting. So we’re up and outty. Some other bozo might come along next month and do this to somebody else. If this same shit was talked about Daeken and his OpenEQ project, and not kept in check like it wasn’t for us, I’m sure he’d pack his stuff up and say Screw This, much like we did. Same with any specific server, or any developers. THIS IS WHY FLAME BAITS ARE STOPPED AS SOON AS THEY START… at least on professionally-modded boards they are.

Disagreement by modding
The ninja-edit of Wize_one’s poll topic is a terrific example of this. Mod actions are to be reserved for correcting TOS violations – and that’s it! You are free to believe that the poll is stupid – if you do, you post it in a post like everybody else does. If you felt the poll didn’t belong as in it was a TOS violation, then you lock it THEN AND THERE. You don’t go doing trolling of your own, and then lock it only when the trolling blows up in your face.

You also don’t post on a locked thread, except to make a note of why the thread was locked or something of that nature. You don’t ever, ever, EVER, try to get the last word in by posting a non-mod response on a locked thread.
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:43 AM
Celestial
Sarnak

Very well said RangerDown. Sorry to see you go TCS, i really think you would of outlasted me if i was in the same situation. It's all a matter of how far can it go... unfortunately, this has gone too far.

I think i speak for the player base of PEQ when i say your work (and PEQ team) has been very much appreciated. I for one have seen all the effort that was put into creating such a nice DB.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:44 AM
Memener
Dragon

I am really not on any more but i have seen alot of BS going on the forums.I think Melwin needs to be removed from power. He have his little group of buddys that can do what-ever they want and get in no trubble. I bet if i made a post about WR servers and all there hard work sucks. I'll get banned and my post will get deleted no qestions asked. But sence it isnt WR no one cares.

I really hate to see you go tcs :(
But it has been fun.
I'll still work on the project but not in the public.

Thanks to Imageshack.us for free image hosting!
Old 12-02-2004, 07:45 AM
Spike
Discordant

Guys wanna know a quick fix for all these problems that EQEMu has been having lately... it's simple.

1) Remove Melwin from power (whether he is on vacation or not)
2) Ban BBUM by IP address and delete his new account
3) Don't even think twice about these options, do them, Image and DevNooB would have done the same, and I respect them for that, that's why I came back here appologized and corrected myself for the community.

Do these things and all of EQEMu's problems will go away.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:49 AM
Wiz
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memener
I am really not on any more but i have seen alot of BS going on the forums.I think Melwin needs to be removed from power. He have his little group of buddys that can do what-ever they want and get in no trubble. I bet if i made a post about WR servers and all there hard work sucks. I'll get banned and my post will get deleted no qestions asked. But sence it isnt WR no one cares.

I really hate to see you go tcs :(
But it has been fun.
I'll still work on the project but not in the public.
That's quite a strawman. There has been "WR sucks" posts in the past. Feel free to make one.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:48 AM
Tree
Sarnak

i do agree all these melwin haters have been overdoing it and not thinking of it logically, honestly i can't say anything that melwin has done bad, but i really havent seen anything that the melwin bashers have either, except for the flaming. So i don't know what to say. All i can say is that im getting fed up, and since my "this thread sucks" pic will just get deleted anyways ill just say ... This thread sucks....
Old 12-02-2004, 09:57 AM
Scorpx725
Discordant

*shrug* The drawings post wasnt even intended as a start a flame at Melwin thing. After everyone started doing it, it was interesting. Some funny, some retarded.

Honestly, the fix is fairly simple

Rid Melwin, rid bbum. Things have been going down hill and havent stopped, they just make it worse.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:04 AM
a_Guest03
Demi-God

:(

PEQ team: Good luck with what you decide to do.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:30 AM
dnevill
Fire Beetle

Default uh...huh?

Maybe I'm missing something...I often do when there's drama. I don't understand why you are bothered so much by flaming on the forums, but not everyone reacts the same as I, so I'll just accept the fact that it does bother you. I'm not going to comment on the right or wrong way to run a forum, because frankly I don't give a damn about the forums.

Why do you? I use EQEmu every day (to connect to the PEQ Kunark-Velious test server, by the way) and the only time I've even touched the forums was to read on how to setup EQ to connect to EQEmu. I read Penny-Arcade all the time, never even visited their forums. I'll be you there's a load of fucktards in those forums who would aggrevate the hell out of me. And I'm sure my employer runs a forum somewhere, but hell if I know where it is, let alone even care about it.

It seems every freaking site on the net has their own forums, and I just don't see why people think they are necessary or integral to the operation of the site. News? Yeah. We can use news, though that could just as well be posted on the front page. Tutorials? Help? Of course! But I don't think those goals require a gigantic forum with a huge "General Discussion" section for that. Just put up a Client Help, Server Help, Bug Report, Feature Request, and News section. (Okay, so I lied, I did talk a *little* bit about running forums, but mainly just to say...don't run them, just include small, specific forums for on those tasks critical to the site)

Without EQEmu, I don't see any purpose to collecting up-to-date Live databases Without databases, EQEmu servers aren't really EQEmu, they're just Generic MMORPG servers on the EQ engine. Until now I didn't even realize that PEQ and EQEmu were separate entities, as their goals seemed to me to be the same, and their functions are so intertwined. Why let something as stupid as forums get in the way?
Old 12-02-2004, 01:26 PM
sianyde
Sarnak

I see that the PEQ server on which I was playing is no longer in the login screen. Should those of us who have characters on the server wait this out or create new ones elsewhere?
Old 12-02-2004, 01:37 PM
Spike
Discordant

ooo might not wanna count on it bud... might wanna go lookin for another server...

ur feelings right now = :cry:
Old 12-02-2004, 02:03 PM
mattmeck

Lets count this overwith, no more flaiming, bashing, or down right meanness...Cant we all just get along?
Old 12-02-2004, 02:34 PM
Spike
Discordant

Glad your the new admin Mattmeck do a good job