Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:13 PM
3z3ki3l
Fire Beetle

Default Wine-1-1-33 Linux .deb package built with EQEMU fix! (Also mouse escape bug reg fix)

NOTE: I wanted to attach the .deb file but just now realize that attachments are disabled. If you are willing to host this file please get in touch with me! I will try to find a hosting solution in the interim (open to suggestions), but in the mean time if you would like a copy please let me know here.

For those who did not know you could play EQEMU on your Linux box, it can be accomplished via software called Wine which acts as a "Windows Compatibility Layer."

I just compiled a copy of Wine-1-1-33 for playing EQEMU. Unfortunately this is the most recent version of Wine which I've personally had any success (or have heard of) with running Everquest Titanium for EQEMU. I have also included the code fix which should solve the missing character model / graphical anomalies many people encounter when trying to playing EQEMU via Wine.

It is built as a ".deb" file so installation is very simple if you are using a Debian based distro (Ubuntu, etc).

I did notice some error messages in the console, but nothing which stopped things from running. I also noticed it did not install the Wine entries into the Gnome app menu. Nothing serious. You will want to run "winecfg" right after after installing to generate the /.wine file tree. While you are in winecfg it is also a good idea to click over to the Audio tab so that it will autodetect your sound driver settings.

Keep in mind this is simple the wine fix with the working version of wine, you MAY NEED TO MODIFY YOUR EQCLIENT.INI TO GET THINGS WORKING (for examples, trying windowed/unwindowed modes and resolutions). I have previously written a guide to getting EQEMU running via Wine which still can be found here:

http://mqemulator.net/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=128

Theres some other general troubleshooting there. I may re-write the guide with new information I have now.

*** MOUSE ESCAPE FIX ***

Fortunately there is an easy fix to the issue of the mouse escaping the game window though I have not seen it posted anywhere in the EQEMU community.

Wine has its own version of Windows' Registry Editor which can be accessed via 'regedit' in the command line. After launching 'regedit,' you need to create the following entry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\DirectInput
(If DirectInput is not there in the tree, create the new key)

Create a new string entry:
MouseWarpOverride

then set to:
force

This should fix the mouse "wall" or "mouse escape" issue people have encountered.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:35 AM
3z3ki3l
Fire Beetle

Regedit fix won't work in windowed mode... will freeze your mouse. Must be in fullscreen! Which I am having a problem getting going... going to experiment with using the virtual desktop to correct these issues. About to take a break as dealing with some other issues right now which I need to fix first.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:51 PM
3z3ki3l
Fire Beetle

ok bad news on the mouse registry fix....

it DOES fix the mouselook issue in full screen. however you cant move the mouse when NOT using mouselook (ie pointer mode).

so unless someone can find a workaround for that, no dice. though there are some wine hacks i might investigate. sorry for getting the hopes up, but it worked fine for darkfall under wine (i attribute this to darkfall's fps setup).

however if you are using a big enough res and have your mouse sensitivity all the way up the issue is pretty negligible... pain for PvPing *sometimes* but generally not bad at all.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:03 PM
3z3ki3l
Fire Beetle

I have fixed the mouse issue in my Deb pacakage.

It involves enabled support for Dinput2 in Xorg... so you will need to be runing Xorg 1.8 or later (or Ubuntu 10.04+).
Old 11-03-2010, 04:36 PM
chuckyjones
Fire Beetle

Did you find a fix for this? I'm currently running Ubuntu 10.04 and struggling to get it working. I finally got all the way to the server select screen, but i lockup shortly after that while trying to access the character select screen. I used the eqclient.ini and the dx3d9.dll or however it's spelled, but I think your .deb package of Wine might fix the issue I'm having. Anyway to get a hold of that file?
Old 11-07-2010, 07:47 AM
chuckyjones
Fire Beetle

Default Running on Ubuntu

3z3ki3l sent me a copy of his 1.1.33 Wine and it worked great. I'm running it on Ubuntu 10.04 right now. I did have to update my nvidia Drivers too. The ones that Ubuntu applied to my vid card caused me to have some issues. But the .deb wine package worked great.