Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:26 PM
TimAwesome
Fire Beetle

Default Windows Vista won't allow me to change the "EQHost" file

How can I get around this?..
Old 08-05-2009, 10:47 PM
blackdragonsdg
Dragon

Do you have administrative status on your login account? If not it is possible that this is the cause and can be fixed in user accounts section of the control panel.

Otherwise your permission settings are likely incorrect for some reason. Any number of things can cause this. Starting with the file itself, right click on it and go to properties then select the security tab. Under the group and user names look for you login id then select it. Once selected look at the permissions for users pane and see which boxes are checked. Read & execute, read and write should have a greyed out check mark beside them, if not then use the modify button and make the needed change. If you do not see your login id listed here then use the modify button and add it to the list. If this is set correctly then cancel out of these windows.

Changing this file alone may not solve the problem but you can repeat the process on the root folder and likely correct the issue if needed.

If you do this be very careful as you can easily make things worse.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:56 PM
v6greenfbird95@yahoo.com
Fire Beetle

Default here is what i did

After going in circles for hours. I just installed the client to mydocuments........ solved all the problems. dont forget if you are on a duel core you may need to set everquest to run on one proccessor, You can do this by pulling up the task manager. go under proccesses right click eqgame select (select affinity) and set it to run on cpu 0. If you dont see any options when you right click eqgame click preform administrative tasks.......

Have fun and check out the keeper of the vale server
Old 08-07-2009, 04:27 AM
Sedrehl
Fire Beetle

I had the same issue, but I just moved the eqhosts file to my desktop, edited it, and then moved it back. This was with Windows 7.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Capheus
Hill Giant

Vista puts in special rights management blocks/checks on the Program Files directory. It is usually best not to install there, I've my my share of problems with other programs and games so I just don't install anything there.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Yeormom
Discordant

As with Vista, Microsoft has been hoping to encourage better software development and while it may have caused Vista alot of heartache, it's paid off. The whole UAC scene is actually a good thing as much as you might hate it.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:14 AM
wolfwalkereci
Discordant

I have that problem. Save as - location desktop - move file to eq folder - replace file.